Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Good day to be WFH :whistle:

Form guide
(completed matches, most recent first)
England WWWLL
Sri Lanka WWWWW

Team news
Ian Bell and Alastair Cook are set to open the batting for England which leaves Michael Carberry, Joe Root and Gary Ballance competing for the No. 3 and 4 spots. England have a choice between Tim Bresnan and Chris Woakes but neither could play if Harry Gurney suitably impressed in Tuesday's T20 to earn an ODI debut.

England (possible): 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Ian Bell, 3 Michael Carberry, 4 Joe Root, 5 Eoin Morgan (capt), 6 Ravi Bopara 7 Jos Buttler (wk), 8 Chris Woakes, 9 Chris Jordan, 10 James Tredwell, 11 James Anderson

Sri Lanka have the handy little pair of Mahela Jayawardene and Kumar Sangakkara to return, with Sangakkara set to keep wickets. That denies Dinesh Chandimal the gloves and he could make way so Lahiru Thirimanne can keep his place. They could play two spinners and try to exploit England's weakness with pace off the ball.

Sri Lanka (possible): 1 Kusal Perera, 2 Tillakaratne Dilshan, 3 Kumar Sangakkara (wk), 4 Mahela Jayawardene, 5 Lahiru Thirimanne, 6 Angelo Mathews (capt), 7 Thisara Perera, 8 Nuwan Kulasekara, 10 Sachithra Senanayake, 9 Ajantha Mendis, 11 Lasith Malinga

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
England Team
AN Cook*, IR Bell, GS Ballance, JE Root, EJG Morgan, RS Bopara, JC Buttler†, CJ Jordan, JC Tredwell, JM Anderson, HF Gurney

Sri Lanka Team
TM Dilshan, HDRL Thirimanne, KC Sangakkara†, DPMD Jayawardene, LD Chandimal, AD Mathews*, NLTC Perera, KMDN Kulasekara, SMSM Senanayake, RAS Lakmal, SL Malinga

Get the bowling tighter, easier said than done against Sri Lanka, and expect that slower Malinga ball every delivery...

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Glad to see Ballance in there. Think he's going to go on to be a great player for England.

I would've liked to have seen Hales in the squad instead of Carberry. I know that Carberry hasn't been picked today but I don't really see the point of calling up a 33-year old opener - not exactly planning for the future - whereas Hales should be around for a while. He could be bought in to play as a pinch-hitter if required, perhaps pick between him and Bell depending upon the conditions?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Something has gone wrong in English cricket, that actually looks like a decent team.

I mean we'll probably lose but at least we'll lose playing our strongest side.

Re Hales.
I like him a lot but the fact the we've only had a few 20/20 games, the 50-over stuff hasn't started yet and he's not a great CC player meant he couldn't really stake a proper claim. They may well have picked Carberry knowing he wasn't going to play and let Hales stay with his county where he'll get some game time.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Cook dropped. Difficult chance though - would have been a great catch

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Cook out for cheap, KP would never have done that !

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Steady progress.

97-1 (19 overs)

Bell 49*(49 balls) Ballance 34*(43 balls)

The storm clouds are gathering over SE11.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
and he's out :nono:

Pulling at a slower ball from Mathews... caught backward square by Malinga.

101-2 (20.4 overs)

And here comes the thunder and lightning... and heavy rain.... bad news for England's Duckworth-Lewis equation if it comes to that. :nono:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
and he's out :nono:

Pulling at a slower ball from Mathews... caught backward square by Malinga.

101-2 (20.4 overs)

And here comes the thunder and lightning... and heavy rain.... bad news for England's Duckworth-Lewis equation if it comes to that. :nono:

Typical Bell.

Think that's 3 centuries and 31 fifties from over 100 ODI's now. That's an appalling strike rate, I can;t quite fathom how he's played so many on dayers when he's so dissapointing in this format.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I put a tenner on Joe Root to be top batsman in this one-day match. If there is no further play or the match is reduced to say 25 overs, do I get my money back or do I lose it? (struck with Coral). He'll be next at the crease when it stops raining.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I put a tenner on Joe Root to be top batsman in this one-day match. If there is no further play or the match is reduced to say 25 overs, do I get my money back or do I lose it? (struck with Coral). He'll be next at the crease when it stops raining.

He has a chance but its a bit of a thrash from now on in. At this point in time I would be looking at one of the Sri Lankan top four to score the highest innings.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The chucker is giving us runs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here