Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... ๐Ÿ˜Š

Barclays to opt out of PL sponsorship?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
So they said on Newsnight. Apparently bankers are concerned that football is not good for their image! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
So they said on Newsnight. Apparently bankers are concerned that football is not good for their image! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Hitler has got better PR than bankers.

What a bunch of ********s those people are.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Heard a while ago B&Q would be sponsoring the football league from (I assume) next season.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Heard a while ago B&Q would be sponsoring the football league from (I assume) next season.

Weren't they supposed to have this season but pulled out at the last minute, hence a Sky Bet took it on very late in the day.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That will throw a spanner in the works.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Extra 10% off tickets for pensioners on Wednesday and over 60 serving behind the bars at the Amex,club makes more money as they know what they are doing and are faster than the zombies that work behind the bars now.:facepalm:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That's actually pretty funny, I can only imagine the bemusement at the PL when they heard that; 'Hang on, bankers think we're tarnishing THEIR image? Christ...'

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley

This wouldn't surprise me.

When nPower bid for the sponsorship of the league, they were not the highest bidder. The highest bidder was actually an online gambling/betting company. The football league chose nPower because they thought that it better fit with the 'family friendly' image that they wanted to promote. I was told this by a relative, who is relatively senior in nPower.

The fact that Sky Bet were announced as the sponsor of the league at the last minute this season suggests that (probably for the above reason), they were the League's final or only option. I don't know the term of the Sky Bet deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Football League's next title sponsor is something that fits better with their 'family friendly' image.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here