Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Palace think big..." - Evening Standard - When will Brighton?

Feb 14, 2010
From the Standard tonight:-
"..the clubs board were discussing how they could become one of the Premier Leagues high rollers...Stoke has a much smaller catchment area than Palace and has a smaller potential ... We are the biggest club in South Londonand within an hour of Selhurst there are more than 5 million people...the only reason we have not fulfilled it is because we have always gone straight back down again.. the club have already sold 15000 of the 17000 season tickets, almost double the 8,000 season ticket holders at Selhurst Park in the Championship"

Interesting comments and my thoughts are:-

1. Palace are a club who had 8000 season ticket holders in the championship. Brighton & Hove Albion have circa 23,000/24,000, this three times palace when in the same division, but their board are correct, Palace do have a good catchment area, although historically they are not the biggest club in South London (Charlton have in their history regular gates of 70,000).
2. For those on NSC who still dont get the link between catchment areas, attendances and potential and therefore still don't agree that Brighton have under achieved, well the Evening Standard, the board at Palace and most followers of football (I would suggest) do understand that link.
3. Palace's catchment area is not as defined as the Albion's and we are so lucky to have a County identity. This is why I and many others with Albion in the family going back generations knew full well the potential of the club. The question I have is when will the some questions that are being asked by the board at Selhurst be asked at Brighton? Or have they been and are some fans just lagging behind a bit?
4. What will stop Brighton moving forward? Failing to gain promotion and transport that will stop the ground from being expanded.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Palace got promoted because we never turned up for the second leg of the play-off semi-final and Watford never turned up for the final. Fair play to Palace for seizing the day both times, but they got promoted by default because nobody in the play-offs wanted it more than them. Or seemed to want it very much at all. Certainly not the defeated golfing buddy managers. Or did former footballer Wilfried Zaha make the difference both times?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
"..the clubs board were discussing how they could become one of the Premier Leagues high rollers...Stoke has a much smaller catchment area than Palace and has a smaller potential ... We are the biggest club in South Londonand within an hour of Selhurst there are more than 5 million people...the only reason we have not fulfilled it is because we have always gone straight back down again.. the club have already sold 15000 of the 17000 season tickets, almost double the 8,000 season ticket holders at Selhurst Park in the Championship"

1. Palace are a club who had 8000 season ticket holders in the championship. Brighton & Hove Albion have circa 23,000/24,000, this three times palace when in the same division, but their board are correct, Palace do have a good catchment area, although historically they are not the biggest club in South London (Charlton have in their history regular gates of 70,000).
2. For those on NSC who still dont get the link between catchment areas, attendances and potential and therefore still don't agree that Brighton have under achieved, well the Evening Standard, the board at Palace and most followers of football (I would suggest) do understand that link.
3. Palace's catchment area is not as defined as the Albion's and we are so lucky to have a County identity. This is why I and many others with Albion in the family going back generations knew full well the potential of the club. The question I have is when will the some questions that are being asked by the board at Selhurst be asked at Brighton? Or have they been and are some fans just lagging behind a bit?
4. What will stop Brighton moving forward? Failing to gain promotion and transport that will stop the ground from being expanded.

I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. Is going from 7,000 gates in League 1 to the best supported team outside the Premier League with gates touching 30,000 in a couple of seasons not 'thinking big'? Name another club in the history of the world who have grown that quickly.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
If they're going to think big they need to do a bit more than cladding that dump of a ground. I'm amazed the Arthur Waite has a safety certificate.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Success for Palace next season will be :

(1) to not be relegated, and
(2) to start developing a stand or two, or to identify a ground move.

Anything further depends on the above.

Feb 14, 2010
I don't really understand the point you are trying to make. Is going from 7,000 gates in League 1 to the best supported team outside the Premier League with gates touching 30,000 in a couple of seasons not 'thinking big'? Name another club in the history of the world who have grown that quickly.

Not really thinking big to return the club to the same size support it had in the 1970's and build a ground that would have been too small to hold the crowd that Brighton had for Darlington in the 3rd division. Its think average, not thinking big.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not really thinking big to return the club to the same size support it had in the 1970's and build a ground that would have been too small to hold the crowd that Brighton had for Darlington in the 3rd division. Its think average, not thinking big.

Perhaps you would like to put in £150 million of your own money so that we can think bigger?

As El Pres has rightly identified, this is just a fishing trip.

Feb 14, 2010
Bit early to be fishing isn't it?

Instead of making allegations that are not true, as the quote from the Standard is correct and my comments are my comments, why don't you instead have a read of the article in the Standard, then step back and think to yourself "so this is a club with 8000 STH in the Championship, who have a board who talk about being high rollers in the Premier League". Then think, do I as a Brighton fan, think too small?

Feb 14, 2010
Perhaps you would like to put in £150 million of your own money so that we can think bigger?

As El Pres has rightly identified, this is just a fishing trip.

No you mis understand. This does not have a pop at Tony Bloom. If you ever read my posts you will know I make that very same point many, many times. The point I make is the link between size of support, expectation and ambition. It is not a fishing trip, and if you read my 4 points, then what in them do you think is fishing, controversial or wrong?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Planning a Premier League stadium with a Premier League standard training ground with a top class academy whilst at the arse end of League 1.....no, that isnt thinking big at all - we wanted all that whilst in League 1 relegation battles :facepalm:

Palace were in the right place at the right time for promotion last season and its working out for them. With fairly poor sides going up this season, they may well stay up again.

Feb 14, 2010
Success for Palace next season will be :

(1) to not be relegated, and
(2) to start developing a stand or two, or to identify a ground move.

Anything further depends on the above.

Short term, I agree, but not long term. The people who run Palace are not daft and they clearly dont agree with you. If they get that club right, they can make it a big club. So can Brighton, that is my point.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Instead of making allegations that are not true, as the quote from the Standard is correct and my comments are my comments, why don't you instead have a read of the article in the Standard, then step back and think to yourself "so this is a club with 8000 STH in the Championship, who have a board who talk about being high rollers in the Premier League". Then think, do I as a Brighton fan, think too small?

Nope, as the Albion had 3,500 empty seats for the play off game two weeks ago.

Having done some research it appears that you are a Palace fan masquerading as an Albion fan, in an elaborate end up to get some of our more feral fans to start foaming at the mouth with your allegations about the relative size of the clubs.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
We know the riches that await in the PL, so the question is how to ge there

We know there are stringent financial controls via FFP, and most people agree that we have to adhere, as to flout them would be counterproductive

We are currently without a manager, and have a depleted squad, albeit with some DS players having made the step up and held their own, so are genuine first team material next season

SO, what the club need to do is hire a manager that can work with the squad we have, agree on the signing of further members, and mould them into a team capable of mounting a serious promotion challenge, while working within the mentioned financial framework

This is not an impossible task, and if the right candidate and players are hired, it can happen

Time is of the essence, so while caution and due process are important, balls need to be started rolling, which I should imagine is already the case :)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Planning a Premier League stadium with a Premier League standard training ground with a top class academy whilst at the arse end of League 1.....no, that isnt thinking big at all - we wanted all that whilst in League 1 relegation battles :facepalm:

No, that doesn't count. It doesn't come under 'thinking big'.

I'm just wondering how much of WCP's revelatory post the club hasn't thought of and isn't putting into practice?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

Having done some research it appears that you are a Palace fan masquerading as an Albion fan, in an elaborate end up to get some of our more feral fans to start foaming at the mouth with your allegations about the relative size of the clubs.

Well...that IS A MASSIVE SURPRISE !

Feb 14, 2010

I am a Palace fan! Is that a joke? I feel like the Birmingham 6 ! Honestly El P really must meet when you pop up to Town at some point. I'm a Brighton fan who entire family on one side followed the Albion (although grandfather didnt go much because of work and money) but also has another connection to the Albion that I'm quite proud of. Also can you please take your instant reaction to my posts and tell me what in my 4 comments you disagree with. Is your point really that because in one play off game, arranged in a couple of days midweek did not get more than 28000 then that is the limit of your ambition for this football club? If so then really you and the palace board really do have less in common in their outlook than I do. I respect the palace board for seeing an opportunity and going for it. I just wish we would do the same.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Brighton were playing at a disused athletics track 4 years ago, and now have 20,000 season ticket holders and have pushed for promotion two years in a row, and you think the have under-achieved?

I bet you think Barca have a record for under-achievement given their 2013/14 season as well.

Come on? Seriously?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Is that why WCP subconsciously didn't use the correct icon :)shit:) to identify the thread ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here