Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cheap stunt for publicity

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Green Party rejects millionaire's donation because he is not full UK taxpayer
Tuesday 20th May 2014 in News By Ben James

The Argus: Green Party rejects millionaire's donation because he is not full UK taxpayer
The Green Party has rejected a £7,000 donation from one of country’s richest men because he is not a full UK taxpayer.

Antony Tabatznik, who is said to be worth £500 million, had his donation returned because his tax situation did not meet the party’s “strict ethical criteria”.

The donation was permitted under electoral law because Mr Tabatznik is registered to vote in the UK and has a house here.

However, his non-dom tax status means while he pays tax on his UK income, money accrued abroad is out of reach of the taxman.

Caroline Lucas, who is the party’s only Member of Parliament, said the money was returned as soon as his tax situation became clear.

The MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: “I’ve always championed tax and financial transparency and I look forward to a time when the rules on political party funding promote such transparency.”

South African Mr Tabatznik, 66, previously supported the Labour party and gave £5,000 to Tony Blair’s New Labour back in 1998.

However, the pharmaceutical magnate’s son, who worked with the party on sustainability issues, is believed to have persuaded his father to donate the cash to Dr Lucas.

It is understood the donation was made in March and sent back earlier this month.

Ads by Google
How To Declare Bankruptcy
Declare Bankruptcy in 3 Easy Steps. Clear all your Unsecured Debts.
www.bankruptcyclinic.co.uk
Self Employed Tax Debt?
Don't let Tax Debt destroy your business. We can deal with HMRC
businessdebtadvice.co.uk/TaxDebts
Mr Tabatznik was named as the 199th richest person in The Sunday Times Rich List at the weekend with an estimated wealth of £500 million.

He recently sold his Stevenage-based Arrow Generics business for $1.75 billion.

The support of a high-profile millionaire and former Labour donor would have been a huge boost for the relatively cash-strapped party ahead of this month’s European elections.

But Dr Lucas explained the decision to reject the money was an easy one.

She said: “The Green Party received a donation from Antony Tabatznik but decided to immediately return the money as soon as it became clear that he has non-domiciled status, and is not a full UK tax-payer.

“The donation was lawful because Mr Tabatznik is registered to vote in the UK, but it did not meet the Green Party’s strict ethical criteria.”

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
It's not a cheap stunt, it is Green Party policy.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't think this is a cheap stunt at all. Anyone in politics with an ounce of common sense knows that and dodgy donations will be found by the press eventually and will make them look silly.

I don't think we should be criticising any party for doing what, on the face of it, seems to be the right thing.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
50/50 on whether its a stunt - if they accepted larger donations that broke/bent that rule and only rejected this one (which isn't huge in the scale of political donations) it'd be a stunt outright though.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
If he accrues money outside of the uk, what or how should he be paying tax on it?

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Ok so somebody who is worth £500 mill gives 5k and they return it as he dosen't earn his dough in the UK ! sorry but if it was say 100k i think they would have conveniently forgotten that .. Call me mr cynic

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm no green party apologist but that's hardly fair. If they accept it they'd be accused of hypocrisy and double standards. If they reject it they're doing it for publicity? No win! Good on them I say, if any of the three main parties (or ukip) had the same moral stance against dodgy benefactors, perhaps they'd have a little more public trust.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Its all about "look at us we are the morally acceptable party because we just turned down 5k " sorry dont buy it .. Just the same as Miss Lucas conebiently turms up at local pub to support it closure .. Try asking her to turn up in November when no votes are going

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
50/50 on whether its a stunt - if they accepted larger donations that broke/bent that rule and only rejected this one (which isn't huge in the scale of political donations) it'd be a stunt outright though.

And have they?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
That makes them the only political party who aren't completely bent in my view.

Good for them.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Tuesday 20th May 2014 in News By Ben James

The Argus: Green Party rejects millionaire's donation because he is not full UK taxpayer
The Green Party has rejected a £7,000 donation from one of country’s richest men because he is not a full UK taxpayer.

Antony Tabatznik, who is said to be worth £500 million, had his donation returned because his tax situation did not meet the party’s “strict ethical criteria”.

The donation was permitted under electoral law because Mr Tabatznik is registered to vote in the UK and has a house here.

However, his non-dom tax status means while he pays tax on his UK income, money accrued abroad is out of reach of the taxman.

Caroline Lucas, who is the party’s only Member of Parliament, said the money was returned as soon as his tax situation became clear.

The MP for Brighton Pavilion, said: “I’ve always championed tax and financial transparency and I look forward to a time when the rules on political party funding promote such transparency.”

South African Mr Tabatznik, 66, previously supported the Labour party and gave £5,000 to Tony Blair’s New Labour back in 1998.

However, the pharmaceutical magnate’s son, who worked with the party on sustainability issues, is believed to have persuaded his father to donate the cash to Dr Lucas.

It is understood the donation was made in March and sent back earlier this month.

Ads by Google
How To Declare Bankruptcy
Declare Bankruptcy in 3 Easy Steps. Clear all your Unsecured Debts.
www.bankruptcyclinic.co.uk
Self Employed Tax Debt?
Don't let Tax Debt destroy your business. We can deal with HMRC
businessdebtadvice.co.uk/TaxDebts
Mr Tabatznik was named as the 199th richest person in The Sunday Times Rich List at the weekend with an estimated wealth of £500 million.

He recently sold his Stevenage-based Arrow Generics business for $1.75 billion.

The support of a high-profile millionaire and former Labour donor would have been a huge boost for the relatively cash-strapped party ahead of this month’s European elections.

But Dr Lucas explained the decision to reject the money was an easy one.

She said: “The Green Party received a donation from Antony Tabatznik but decided to immediately return the money as soon as it became clear that he has non-domiciled status, and is not a full UK tax-payer.

“The donation was lawful because Mr Tabatznik is registered to vote in the UK, but it did not meet the Green Party’s strict ethical criteria.”

Are our politics in this country so far corrupt that you seem unable to grasp integrity. So for you it doesn't matter what The Greens do they are damned if they do, or damned if they don't. Guess they should copy other parties and take the cash and don't declare it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How would accepting a donation from someone that has paid the correct tax be bent or corrupt ? Strange bunch those Greens.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I am fine with this , but the cynic in me feels that if you dig further into the Green party finances you would find larger donations from Non ethical sources !

Dont get me wrong , that is not defending all the other parties ,

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't understand what is unethical about the donation. Why should he pay tax on money earned abroad if he doesn't live in the UK?

There's nothing wrong with his tax arrangements, it's because the Green Party has a policy of not accepting money off foreign donors: it's a policy the other parties should follow TBH.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
There's nothing wrong with his tax arrangements, it's because the Green Party has a policy of not accepting money off foreign donors: it's a policy the other parties should follow TBH.

So they are racist ? Oh [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] will have a field day with that !

Seriously though - he has a home here, he pays tax here and he is registered to vote here so I really can't see the problem. It's the Greens making out they are whiter than white more than anything else.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
So they are racist ? Oh [MENTION=14574]daveinprague[/MENTION] will have a field day with that !

Seriously though - he has a home here, he pays tax here and he is registered to vote here so I really can't see the problem. It's the Greens making out they are whiter than white more than anything else.

Correct sir

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I am fine with this , but the cynic in me feels that if you dig further into the Green party finances you would find larger donations from Non ethical sources !

Dont get me wrong , that is not defending all the other parties ,

Your perspective is entirely coloured by the cynic in you rather than any actual evidence you can provide about the Greens.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here