Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve G

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
If, as seems likely, he retires from International football after this World Cup, who should replace him as

a) England Captain
b) holding midfielder/ sprayer of Hollywood passes?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Could give Lallana captaincy, he's Southampton captain isn't he? Not sure about holding midfielder though........

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Joe Hart as captain, as that then stops the captaincy kerfuffle for a good 8 years or so.

Barkley I think will eventually become the new Steven Gerrard.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Tom Cleverly for bot.......no, no I can't say that without laughing.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Captains will be from: Hart, Cahill, Lallana & Rooney.

New Stevie Gee... Hmm, tough boots to fill. Ross Barkley has the most potential, but I'm not sure if he's good at 'holding'. I'd like to think there's another yough prospect in this country like Ince, just technically better for the international stage.

Weretheweststand

Unregistered User
Aug 23, 2011
Hailsham
Captains will be from: Hart, Cahill, Lallana & Rooney.

New Stevie Gee... Hmm, tough boots to fill. Ross Barkley has the most potential, but I'm not sure if he's good at 'holding'. I'd like to think there's another yough prospect in this country like Ince, just technically better for the international stage.

Maybe chalobah eventually?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Both Hart and Lallana are good shouts. Barkley will become the new SG going forward but who replaces SG as holding MF?

Will be quite a gap there. Could Wilshere be trained to do it? Or better used further forward?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Why is Lallana considered to be in the frame?

He's clearly a talented player but I find it hard to imagine he'd be able to inspire or hold sway over the majority of the squad as he's still new to the top flight, let alone the international game.

Personally I'd give it to Hart, though I imagine Rooney will get it.

Another vote for Barkley as the Gerrard replacement.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Why is Lallana considered to be in the frame?

He's clearly a talented player but I find it hard to imagine he'd be able to inspire or hold sway over the majority of the squad as he's still new to the top flight, let alone the international game.

Personally I'd give it to Hart, though I imagine Rooney will get it.

Another vote for Barkley as the Gerrard replacement.

Lallana captains Southampton? I find it more difficult to understand Hart being captain, he doesnt even captain his club side which I think is very important if youre going to captain your national side. Rooney would be even worse IMO, who wants their children to aspire to be like him its not even like he plays with a particular passion when on England duty? Rooney captaining any team is strange imo.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Lallana captains Southampton? I find it more difficult to understand Hart being captain, he doesnt even captain his club side which I think is very important if youre going to captain your national side. Rooney would be even worse IMO, who wants their children to aspire to be like him? Rooney captaining any team is strange imo.

He does indeed, but I don't see that being the captain of Southampton is anywhere near the same as being captain of England.

I think you're right in that ideally the national captain would be a club one as well, but I don't see it as being a deal breaker, international experience/longevity should instead take precedence.

Hart is an England regular with a ton of international/top flight experience, I would imagine that if he bawled a player out they'd be more inclined to listen than if it were Lallana, who'll be seen as the newcomer.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Does the captaincy really matter?

All they do is shake hands pre match, call the coin toss and swap pennants.

I could do that.

No . Seem to recall Fabio being equally bemused by our obsession about the captain . Don't think it carrys much weight in some countries .

For me I just want the captain leading by example on and off the pitch but doubt makes any difference to results

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
No . Seem to recall Fabio being equally bemused by our obsession about the captain . Don't think it carrys much weight in some countries .

For me I just want the captain leading by example on and off the pitch but doubt makes any difference to results

Should have players with character like that throughout the team.

Not just rely on one captain.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Does the captaincy really matter?

All they do is shake hands pre match, call the coin toss and swap pennants.

I could do that.

The captaincy issues does seem to be a very English concern, especially in international football.

I personally think it makes more of a difference in club football (stories abound of club captains giving speeches etc. to fire up their team) than elsewhere but, for as long as there's the slightest chance that a moment of inspiration can change a result, I'd hope the right man wears the armband.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here