Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

George Gunn RIP

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Noticed that bookmaker George Gunn died recently. He had a significant part in bringing Bobby Smith to the Albion in 1964, paying off his gambling debts. What a great season that was. George did loads for charity and I remember going to see his All Star football team with the likes of Tommy Steele and Jess Conrad when I was a nipper. Thanks George RIP.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Can endorse that,sorry to hear of his departure...and Tommy Steele was quite a good player...must admit...64/65 season was great..R.I.P.George.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
David Lacey, writing in the Grauniad, said that when Bobby Smith signed for us the local bookmakers held a service of thanksgiving.

Leo's Goatee

Dec 30, 2013
Under Leo's mouth
Hi thought you might like to see a few of my Great Grandfathers pics, his funeral is tomorrow 12 at the Downs and back to the cricket ground after .George was 94 when he passed away peacefully last week my dad said he had an amazing life and he really did save the Abion when he got Bobby Smith to play for us ,as the club were down the bottom of the old Div 4 and in financial trouble ,also he put on many testimonials for Albion players and got all the stars of the day to play for him .He also raised thousands of £ for Chailey Heritage through his show biz teams .Hope you enjoy them RIP Granddad we all miss you x

IMG_0013.jpg

imo 5.jpg

imo 4.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

imo 10.jpg

Leo's Goatee

Dec 30, 2013
Under Leo's mouth
IMG.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Here is the famous Bobby Smith with him at bighton station and with Joe ocaroll who got from Sir matt at 10k off the price for club

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The one all the other bookies followed up the Dogs, held the no 1 pitch forever it seemed, great days & memories of Aitch Bee, Amazing Man & the greatest ever Ballyregan Bob.
Great times

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Thats an impressive lineup. When as a wee lad in the late 60's, I still have my first programmes where George used to take out an ad. Nothing advertised as such, just a message saying "best wishes from your local sportsman, George Gunn".

A true legend of the Brighton sporting scene.

RIP George.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Did he used to have a flat on Hove seafront opposite King Alfred in the seventies? I think I may have cleaned his car when working at the filling station that used to be at the front of the flats.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
The one all the other bookies followed up the Dogs, held the no 1 pitch forever it seemed, great days & memories of Aitch Bee, Amazing Man & the greatest ever Ballyregan Bob.
Great times

Used to make his perspex bookmakers signs back in the Seventies.
Top bloke was Georgie.

And yes, he did live down near the King Alfred.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Noticed that bookmaker George Gunn died recently. He had a significant part in bringing Bobby Smith to the Albion in 1964, paying off his gambling debts. What a great season that was. George did loads for charity and I remember going to see his All Star football team with the likes of Tommy Steele and Jess Conrad when I was a nipper. Thanks George RIP.

hey, I was at that match too, did Tommy Steele take a penalty? Took my dad to the centenary dinner at the Brighton Centre and remember him being excited and getting Bobby Smiths autograph.

Great times

Not sure George was standing at that time, wasn't it the very popular Michael by then? (i'll stand corrected). the were about 8 pitches on the go at that time, and another 5 on the Orchard Rd (inc. Dave Ki-Ki, heard once he used to be a stunt man!) happy days eh? you may well get the "value" or a £25 free bet on line but the real enjoyment of punting has died along with people like George, Johnny Poulter, Harry Mainey et al :( RIP

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
hey, I was at that match too, did Tommy Steele take a penalty? Took my dad to the centenary dinner at the Brighton Centre and remember him being excited and getting Bobby Smiths autograph.

I think the one I remember was played at Southwick Rec, but I could be wrong. I too got BS autograph on a centenary shirt at that dinner, along with a host of old Brighton greats like Mel Hopkins and Roy Jennings.

D

Deleted User X18H

Not sure George was standing at that time, wasn't it the very popular Michael by then? (i'll stand corrected). the were about 8 pitches on the go at that time, and another 5 on the Orchard Rd (inc. Dave Ki-Ki, heard once he used to be a stunt man!) happy days eh? you may well get the "value" or a £25 free bet on line but the real enjoyment of punting has died along with people like George, Johnny Poulter, Harry Mainey et al :( RIP

Not forgetting, John Graham and Steve without the fav Dee .

Manx Sky and Trans Mercedes

Solly Ki Ki was in the Guns Of Naverone. Dave Ki Ki was his late son. Maurice was his brother.

May 21, 2014
Portslade
R.I.P. George ..... another great character gone.

Hove Born & Bread you have a good memory but Solly was the bookmaker and his brother Mo Ki Ki was the stuntman and he was in many films including the Guns of Naverone as you said and doubled for Gregory Peck in the cliff dive scene and was a German soldier who got stabbed by his mate Stanley Baker in the film too. Mo was my dad and I used be their clerk from about the age of 13 in what we used call the "Cheap side" at the dog track. There were some great characters at the track then, I have been back in recent years but it seems quite soulless with so few bookmakers outside and very few faces that I recognised.

Don't forget Ernie Woodman I believe he used to be a boxer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here