Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Motorists may face penalty for overtaking cyclists on some city roads

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet another thread requiring a little bicycle icon.

Road safety proposal by Department for Transport would give cyclists priority, restricting cars to 15mph with potential £100 fine.

About time to.
Clearly the bicycle is the only way forward, now we will be able to legally ride in the middle of the road.
I'm glad I don't pay road tax!!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ists-city-roads-transport-government-proposal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-overtaking-bicycles-set-cut-road-deaths.html

I've just listened to a man from the Advanced Drivers Assoc saying this wouldn't work because:-

'Drivers are too stupid to understand a road sign'.

Not the greatest defence.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This would be a very un-Tory like move! Shirley the world's going mad?!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Strange when a driver mentions road tax the cyclists point out that there's no such thing but now all of a sudden, you as a keen cyclist, states there is ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Strange when a driver mentions road tax the cyclists point out that there's no such thing but now all of a sudden, you as a keen cyclist, states there is ?
Not half as strange as someone missing the exclamations marks at the end of the statement, that was clearly included just to get a reaction.

I can't believe it took 11 minutes.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
On the basis that cyclists at the present time are unable to use cycle lanes and continue to ride on pavements on what basis will they use these proposed roads. Also if a car is restricted to 15mph on these roads but a cyclist is slowly moving at walking pace why will it be illegal to overtake

Also given that most of the deaths certainly in London involve buses or trucks turning left (at slow speeds) with a cyclist looking to undertake the vehicle, not sure that these proposals will resolve this issue.

No doubt the wonderful Greens in the Brighton and Hove City Council have just leaped up and down with joy and popped the champagne corks and will designate every single road within the city boundary as a cycle road.

Utter madness and a vote loser.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Now I've had my fun at Westdene's expense, I'll lighten the mood a little.

This fella needs all the road (and verge) he can get:-

[tweet]468381485813493760[/tweet]

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Road safety proposal by Department for Transport would give cyclists priority, restricting cars to 15mph with potential £100 fine.

About time to.
Clearly the bicycle is the only way forward, now we will be able to legally ride in the middle of the road.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ists-city-roads-transport-government-proposal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-overtaking-bicycles-set-cut-road-deaths.html

I've just listened to a man from the Advanced Drivers Assoc saying this wouldn't work because:-

Hmmm! Show me a cyclist who understands traffic lights..instead of jumping up on the pavement get in moving traffic then turn left...or cyclists who ride down country lanes in groups of 3/4 instead of single file,cyclist who do not overtake on the inside when a car is turning left...still it's good for my points score...scaring the sh1te out of a cyclist is worth 5 points:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Crazy. I completely understand the need for them to be safe but there are so many cyclists that. Ride like idiots jumping up onto the pavement when it suits and swerving into the road, not signalling etc. this isn't the answer, both sets need to be properly educated. It is. Crazy that there is no simple and mandatory test for cycling on the road, they can cause accidents as well yet you need no qualification to be on one!

Edit: just actually read the. Article and. It will be only on certain streets in some cities, one would assume that these are the busiest streets where. The majority of the time you would be lucky to be going 15mph anyway. I now feel the only reason this idea is crazy is because it is a gimmick

Hmmm! Show me a cyclist who understands traffic lights..instead of jumping up on the pavement get in moving traffic then turn left...or cyclists who ride down country lanes in groups of 3/4 instead of single file,cyclist who do not overtake on the inside when a car is turning left...still it's good for my points score...scaring the sh1te out of a cyclist is worth 5 points:whistle::whistle::whistle:
I'll resist the temptation to report that the overwhelming number of cyclists I see in Lewes Road, Brighton, seem to fully understand traffic lights [OK, I didn't resist], but I will comment about country lanes.

As a resident of, driver in, and dog walker along a country lane, I welcome any efforts by any user of our lane to establish the FACT that speeding cars SHOULDN'T have priority. As for cyclists in particular ... it's worth pointing out that the edge of a country lane (where Seagull on the wing seems to think cyclists should be banished to) is likely to be beset with both dangerous overhanging vegetation and equally dangerous potholes. The safest place to cycle out our way is well towards the centre of the road. The only risk is a speeding car driver with a cavalier attitude to "points scoring". And, thankfully, there aren't that many idiots about.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Crazy. I completely understand the need for them to be safe but there are so many cyclists that. Ride like idiots jumping up onto the pavement when it suits and swerving into the road, not signalling etc. this isn't the answer, both sets need to be properly educated. It is. Crazy that there is no simple and mandatory test for cycling on the road, they can cause accidents as well yet you need no qualification to be on one!

Edit: just actually read the. Article and. It will be only on certain streets in some cities, one would assume that these are the busiest streets where. The majority of the time you would be lucky to be going 15mph anyway. I now feel the only reason this idea is crazy is because it is a gimmick
T'is amazing how the actual facts can change a story.

It won't be the busiest roads.
It'll be the 'rat run' road that are either impractical for car use, or roads where the alternative route is more suitable for cars but perhaps a couple of minutes longer.
Thereby making the roads safer for all not to mention quicker where cyclists aren't impeding the almighty car.

I can see why, on paper, it looking like it could work.
I understand why in practice it's unlikely to work.
Sadly the self-righteous brigade on both sides would rather kill or be killed, than change their thinking.

For what it's worth I applaud any 'different' thinking that might make cyclists safer, thereby not ruining their lives and those of the driver/family having to live the consequences of the accident, incident, or manslaughter.

There's absolutely no point discussing your myopic opinions on 'so many cyclists' as you're so bigoted it's laughable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the suggestion is for "ban on overtaking on lightly trafficked roads where cycle flows are high"... i.e. back streets. so what exactly is the point of this? no one is dying in light traffic are they?

i wonder if they also might consider a law, other than Darwin's, to discourage cyclist undertaking traffic signalling to turn left...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
the suggestion is for "ban on overtaking on lightly trafficked roads where cycle flows are high"... i.e. back streets. so what exactly is the point of this? no one is dying in light traffic are they?

i wonder if they also might consider a law, other than Darwin's, to discourage cyclist undertaking traffic signalling to turn left...
Jeeeez it clearly isn't NorthStandBrainSurgeons tonight.

Ok I'll type slowly.

The point is to encourage more cyclist to use these safer routes, thereby taking them away from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
It will also encourage more drivers away from rat runs.

I wish I could believe these routes would be coordinated in such a way they join up to form miles of safer roads.
Sadly I can't help but think they'll be either side of The Elephant & Castle or some other equally impossible junction.

Oh and who's to say the driver hasn't suddenly decided to turn left without signalling or checking his mirrors, we've all done it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

About time to.

At least drivers realise that a red light means " Stop "

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

About time to.

I have only read the first post but.......

As a driver and a cyclist, some cyclists are complete CJTC's! I was out cycling yesterday, some other txxts were riding 3 abreast, not only illegal but guaranteed to wind up drivers.

And if 15mph limits are brought in then boxxocks to 'em, my car was not designed to pootle round town at those speeds, my motorcycle will blow its clutch into a thousand pieces with prolonged use at those speeds!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The point is to encourage more cyclist to use these safer routes, thereby taking them away from being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
It will also encourage more drivers away from rat runs.

So cyclist have to be encouraged to user safer roads and routes... and im the one that needs speaking to slowly? the article didnt exactly stress the purpose as youhave put, it just seems mindnumbingly obvious to take a safer back street route in the first place, and such routes dont need making safer as that not where problems are. i do sympathsise with cyclist as i used to cycle alot myself (though not in London :ohmy:). you point out Elephant, i used to live there and there's cycle paths/routes all around i cant see why anyone would stay on the main road. scary enough in a car.

Oh and who's to say the driver hasn't suddenly decided to turn left without signalling or checking his mirrors, we've all done it.

of course that would be the drivers fault then. im thinking of what i saw last week where only a pedestiran shouting at the cyclist to not be a prick stopped him from slamming into a car indicating turning left, and at the same spot another cyclist pushing through the pedestians on a red light despite the road ahead being blocked by a coach anyway. i recall another junction in the City near Morgate where there's been a fatality, would regularly see cyclists racing up the inside of the que ignoring the car/lorry that clearly showing its going left. makes me shudder as i can see how easy and vulnerable the cyclist is, yet some will wilfully put themself in danger to save a few second on their journey (hey, just like some of us car drivers)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'll resist the temptation to report that the overwhelming number of cyclists I see in Lewes Road, Brighton, seem to fully understand traffic lights [OK,

Sorry LB, but as a fellow cyclist, I think you are talking boxxocks. Most cyclists are selfish, holier than thou cocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here