Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swim in the Sea

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Good on you.
When I was in my younger days......let us say in the mid 1960's,I sometimes went in in March.Must have been mad.
Anyway,at 66 next birthday,I still enjoy sea swimming and maybe I'll give it a go at the week-end.
On the other hand I may just wimp out for the time being!

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Good on you.
When I was in my younger days......let us say in the mid 1960's,I sometimes went in in March.Must have been mad.
Anyway,at 66 next birthday,I still enjoy sea swimming and maybe I'll give it a go at the week-end.
On the other hand I may just wimp out for the time being!

In previous years I have been earlier in the year and it has been a lot colder. I think you will be surprised if you go in - although the good weather is about to break.

Cheeky is our man of the sea.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Is it true that the sea is warmer in the winter because it takes ages to cool down after being heated up all summer?

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Is it true that the sea is warmer in the winter because it takes ages to cool down after being heated up all summer?

warmest in September-October due to the water cooling down a lot slower than on land. so this would be the best time to go but you may be a bit cool when you get out

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
warmest in September-October due to the water cooling down a lot slower than on land. so this would be the best time to go but you may be a bit cool when you get out

That suggests that May would be the coldest time. Brr!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Does this thread confirm that the long-standing belief that no local would ever swim in the sea is now and truly dead?

They must be not locals. The Peacehaven Wastewater Treatment Works are bloody miles away.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
First swim of the year yesterday. Warmer than anticipated - another happy consequence of the mild winter I assume.

Something that adds to the pleasure of lifebuoy.

We went in just after midnight once on December the 31st. Not clever seeing we were pissed but we were young and foolish.

Oh and cold.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Up to 13.4c now at Brighton, higher than ever other time in mid-May for decades..

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Does this thread confirm that the long-standing belief that no local would ever swim in the sea is now and truly dead?

I hope so, the sea is sooo much cleaner than 30 or 40 years ago.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

A few years back most locals would not swim, as they were merely "going through the motions "

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A few years back most locals would not swim, as they were merely "going through the motions "

At least if you got into difficulty there would always be a log you could hang onto.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
At least if you got into difficulty there would always be a log you could hang onto.

Or you could knot together a small collection of floating Tampax to make a raft.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Or you could knot together a small collection of floating Tampax to make a raft.

I remember getting a 'line bite' from one of them when we were out bream fishing once. I do hope they have cleaned it up out there now.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I remember getting a 'line bite' from one of them when we were out bream fishing once. I do hope they have cleaned it up out there now.

The Bream are in at Selsey if you are interested.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Talk to people who swim in the sea year round and many would tell you that Spring/Summer is the least enjoyable. The more you swim in cold water the more you enjoy it (and trust me, I hate the cold a lot more than the next man). Cycling the miles home from a freezing cold sea swim I fly along like I'm on rocket fuel (the endorphin high). Cycling home from Hove beach yesterday was more of a mundane ride. Roll on December.

:thumbsup:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
First swim of the year yesterday. Warmer than anticipated - another happy consequence of the mild winter I assume.

Something that adds to the pleasure of lifebuoy.

Pfffttt! I was swimming in the sea in January and February.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here