Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What academy level will the Albion be aiming for.?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have heard they were after level two but level one is obviously the icing on the cake. Southampton have only just been awarded level one. Watford have decided to go from one down to a three as it is too expensive for them. Do any of you have any children that train at the Albion?

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Southampton have only just been awarded level one.

Makes a mockery of the system , if proven producers like Southampton have only just got level one

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Category 1 was mentioned by the club a while back.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
It'll either be Police or Fame.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
What's the level where we bring promising youth players up through the ranks then flog them off on the cheap to the first club that comes cherry-picking?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Makes a mockery of the system , if proven producers like Southampton have only just got level one

Well not really, as it's designed to ensure all elements of the process are top notch, including the infrastructure.

While it's clear that Saints are either particularly brilliant at developing players or have just struck it spectacularly lucky (the former, I'm sure), their actual facilities, I seem to recall HKFC mentioning, aren't all that. Imagine, therefore, how good they COULD be, if they got their stuff together off the pitch as well.

I don't expect they're that bothered, given the regularity with which they're churning out young superstars, but that's what it means anyway.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
All categories also rely on staff; the higher the rank of the category, the more staff is needed. For instance, I know Newcastle didn't originally get 'Category One' status due to not being able to afford all the staff members that were required. It was something like five or six paid positions; Manager, Assistant, two Coaches, Goalkeeping Coach and a Physio - for each age group.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
While it's clear that Saints are either particularly brilliant at developing players or have just struck it spectacularly lucky
I'm sure there are elements that make both statements correct, you're omitting the key factors:-

Geography and circumstance.

Saints youth set up has come on because they were financially struggling in a decent stadium just as Portsmouth stopped youth and academy programmes.
While Bournemouth was on it's knees, in a pooh hole, and we were grovelling on the floor in an even bigger pooh hole.

So basically the yoof of Southern England had 2 choices, Southampton or London.

Add an £18m Theo Walcott into the mix, and Robert's your fathers brother, Saints run the only academy for hundreds of miles around, you want to send your child too.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Well not really, as it's designed to ensure all elements of the process are top notch, including the infrastructure.

While it's clear that Saints are either particularly brilliant at developing players or have just struck it spectacularly lucky (the former, I'm sure), their actual facilities, I seem to recall HKFC mentioning, aren't all that. Imagine, therefore, how good they COULD be, if they got their stuff together off the pitch as well.

I don't expect they're that bothered, given the regularity with which they're churning out young superstars, but that's what it means anyway.

While I think there are some regs regarding facilities and being at the top level of academy, I think there more around how many pitches in general, how many are floodlit that sort of thing, rather than being 'all that'. I'm not convinced that the quality of the facilities are terribly important anyway, surely more about the people and the coaching?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not convinced that the quality of the facilities are terribly important anyway, surely more about the people and the coaching?

That's what (I thought) I was saying.

Anyway, living proof of the fact that money doesn't get you everywhere lies in the fact that certain clubs who do have level one status may well have a poor record for developing a high standard of young players.

Have (say) Chelsea got a category one academy? Assuming they have, it doesn't appear to represent great value for money.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

I just found an article where thay announce they have been awarded cat 1 status. It is dated 27 july 2012. Isn't that about the time it started?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
That's what (I thought) I was saying.

Anyway, living proof of the fact that money doesn't get you everywhere lies in the fact that certain clubs who do have level one status may well have a poor record for developing a high standard of young players.

Have (say) Chelsea got a category one academy? Assuming they have, it doesn't appear to represent great value for money.

I think you were, and I think I was agreeing with you.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I think you were, and I think I was agreeing with you.

:lolol:

Some interesting arguments on both sides, from what I've seen. I guess the incentive to develop high class youngsters is there for any club that's bunging £2.5m per year into it.

What's that Mason Bennett like? He seems to have been around for ages (I know he started a game at 15), but is he all that? I feel like he's been overshadowed in the last couple of seasons by Hughes. Is that fair?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
It is interesting that Djibril Cisse's son has chosen to go to Crewe. Rather than Liverpool,Everton,or Man United.
I think Brighton would be a good choice for a child to go to. Chelsea have not had any player through for about 15 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here