Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Similarities between Gus Poyet 2009 and Tim Sherwood 2014...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
From Bloom's viewpoint this must be like deja vu:

1. Both candidates had c. 4 years coaching experience.
2. Both had minimal first team managerial experience.
3. Both recently sacked from Spurs.
4. Both in their early 40s
5. Both very strong personalities, forthright views, clear thinking about what they want to do and with a point to prove.

You wonder whether Bloom's experience of weighing up these facts, then taking a gamble on Gus and it paying off will make him much more predisposed to appoint Sherwood than he otherwise might have been.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I would be more concerned as to whether Sherwood will want to come here. Im sure he will be sort after in the prem.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If there are similarities I would think it would put him off. It would all end in tears again.

Hardly. I'm sure Bloom is DEVASTATED that Poyet took us up to the Championship playing glorious football.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
One tiny little difference however: I may be wrong but it seemed that Gus - generally - preferred to air any disagreements with senior club officials behind the scenes, not to Fleet Street. Whoever one blames, I reckon the real damage of the revolving door on the manager's office has been the lack of stability. Sherwood may get the job and he may well thrive at it but I don't see why "I get treated like a supply teacher" boohooing would be tolerated by the powers that be when "I wouldn't mind managing in the Premiership one day" wasn't. Anyway, just my tuppenceworth, I may well be utterly wrong.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Certainly some similarities.

Nothing going to happen this week though, I imagine. Of the leading possible candidates Sherwood will want to know what is going on with Pochettino/Southampton, Clement has other things on his mind with the Champions League final, and for the likes of Mackay and Hughton there are other possible jobs and interviews.

Could be in business by early next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here