Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Van Gaal appointed Man Utd boss with Giggs as assistant

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Bloody hell, they managed to keep that under their hats!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You wonder whether Van Gaal would have chosen Giggs as his No. 2 if Giggs hadn't already been made caretaker manager. I suspect not.

Why is he No.2? He has virtually no managerial experience, no experience of being an assistant and little coaching experience - he's still registered as a player. Sure, he has Man Utd DNA coursing through his veins, but is this going to make it more likely they'll win trophies in the future?

I would have thought Van Gaal would have wanted to pick and choose all of his staff. Moyes got rid of all of the SAF lot, so it's not as if the present incumbents have a proven track record of success.

It might be a Dream Team on paper but I don't see it working out longer term. Giving Giggs a taste of the manager job and giving the crowd that 4 games to warm to him will make it a bit harder for Van Gaal that it otherwise might have been.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Van Gael had better be good, just like Moyes he's gonna have a tough time shaking off the SAF shadow.

They need to spend big and without European football they will find it more difficult to attract the best players.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Van Gael had better be good, just like Moyes he's gonna have a tough time shaking off the SAF shadow.

They need to spend big and without European football they will find it more difficult to attract the best players.

I think being out of Europe has it's good points too. Look how Liverpool did last season - no European football and they outdid themselves. In turn, look at Spurs, their league record was terrible on the weekends following Europa League ties.

I agree that they may struggle to get some top players without European football. However, I do think not having the distraction of Europe will benefit their league campaign next season.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Even without the lure of European football, playing for Manchester United will be an attractive proposition for a lot of top players I would have thought.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think being out of Europe has it's good points too. Look how Liverpool did last season - no European football and they outdid themselves. In turn, look at Spurs, their league record was terrible on the weekends following Europa League ties.

I agree that they may struggle to get some top players without European football. However, I do think not having the distraction of Europe will benefit their league campaign next season.

Agreed. Van Gaal will always be set a lower expectation by Man Utd fans. If he gets them back in the top four that will do for season 1 I suspect. However I think he will do a little better than that. Big money to spend, he is a manager that will attract some good names as well. Fully expect them to be back challenging next season, especially with no European football to distract them.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
It looks like, with hindsight, that Moyes was brought in as a patsy. SAF more or less picked him knowing he would struggle, and in so doing, tried and failed to unsettle rivals Everton as well, knowing Moyes would be P45'ed, compounding his own deity rating ???

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003

Like em or not, they are arguably one of 3 biggest clubs on the world, I don't think with £200million, top rated manager n place getting good players will be a problem!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I would have thought Van Gaal would have wanted to pick and choose all of his staff. Moyes got rid of all of the SAF lot,...

well exactly. i hardly think ManU would have made the job dependant on taking on Giggs, so we should assume Van Gaal chose to appoint him. the fact Moyes cleared out the staff has been cited as a problem, maybe Van Gaal values some continuity. and maybe he likes to give someone a chance and recognises potential, i read he kept a certain Jose Mourinho as assistant when he took over at Barca.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
well if u think Oscar was inflexible in formation
Manu have a manager who never changes his 4 3 3 formation
players including Rooney will have to fufill a role

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Biggest club in the world. They'll have no problem signing big players, they're only out of the CL for 1 season. Don't think they'll win the league next season but definitely top 4 and I'd back them to finish above Liverpool and Arsenal.

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
You wonder whether Van Gaal would have chosen Giggs as his No. 2 if Giggs hadn't already been made caretaker manager. I suspect not.

Why is he No.2? He has virtually no managerial experience, no experience of being an assistant and little coaching experience - he's still registered as a player. Sure, he has Man Utd DNA coursing through his veins, but is this going to make it more likely they'll win trophies in the future?

I would have thought Van Gaal would have wanted to pick and choose all of his staff. Moyes got rid of all of the SAF lot, so it's not as if the present incumbents have a proven track record of success.

It might be a Dream Team on paper but I don't see it working out longer term. Giving Giggs a taste of the manager job and giving the crowd that 4 games to warm to him will make it a bit harder for Van Gaal that it otherwise might have been.

Van Gaal likes to completely reconstruct a club from top to bottom going so far as to even having input about the team bus,he therefore likes his successor to be someone who he can influence to continue to run the club along the same lines.Wonder what Sir Alex will think if wholesale changes are made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here