Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tim Sherwood - What's not to like?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The more I think about it the more certain I am Sherwood is the man for Albion, if we could attract a man of such calibre to the Amex.

I have a long list of pro's buit can't think of many if any con's, anyone want to balance this up. Why eouldn't he be right for the job??

Pro's -

Most succesful manager in history of Tottingham in PL era
Speaks very eloquantly and informatively
Massively well respected within the game
Young, hungry and English
Has a great contact list
Big name, former PL winner, would be able to attract necessary quality to the Amex
Doesn't suffer fools gladly
Willing to criticise players if neccessary and to great effect as resurgence after sticky patch at Tottingham shows
A good looking chap, some eye candy for our gay and female support
A born winner, won't accept 2nd best
Brutally honest, won't give the club misconecptions about what he can do for it
Speaks up development of young players
Wants to play an esciting, attacking and attractive brand of football
Would relish the challenge
Desperate to succeed and prove Spurs wrong
Knows PL is only place to be
Gets the best out of under-performing players like Adebayor, good man manager

Cons -

Lack of experience in the dogfight of the Championship
err???

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Cons - Has a mouth as big as Poyet's and will bang on about being back at Spurs till the cow's come home. Plus there's something about him that just screams CJTC

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Boring. This crodonilson character needs to go the same way as Corrie's Tina McIntyre.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
1) Big mouthed car crash - will be Poyet II

2) Not even ONE full season experience in charge of a team

3) Used to a Premier League career. Will be off like a shot when the October sackings start.

4) A shed load of Spurs players wanted him OUT.

wozzabear

May 18, 2014
OK - if tim sherwood is given the job (big if, I know - many issues outlined above) BUT - if.....
here's an obvious song idea

Tim Sherwood, Tim Sherwood
Riding through the glen
Tim Sherwood, Tim Sherwood
With his Brighton men
Feared by the bad
Loved by the 'hood
Tim Sherwood,
Tim Sherwood
Tim Sherwood

To the tune of Robin Hood - I know, its obvious, but...

Not be read as a personal endorsement - these things work in ways known only to TB and the powers that be....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

3) Used to a Premier League career. Will be off like a shot when the October sackings start.

1) but people complained when we had quiet Oscar.
2) not sure what that matters much.
3) fair point, at least it would be a continuous worry - more so the better he does.
4) presumably those he critised for not doing enough or left out as he brought on kids, along the way to that >60% win rate.

im not advocating Sherwood, but i really don't understand the criticism and don't think it would be a bad choice.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

1. He knew he was going so could get away with telling a few home truths to players who needed telling.
On numerous occasions I wanted someone willing to tell our players to buck there ideas up this season.
2. Poyet had no experience, and Oscar 1 season and never in English football.
3. Did you listen to his interview.... he wants to stay somewhere for a while.
4. The Spurs players who wanted him out are probably the Prima Donna ones who didnt like a telling of because they were under performing.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
If we do bring in Sherwood it will not be a strain on our wallets because his record in cup games is worse than ours...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I am worried by his lack of management experience. At times he looked naive not honest and upfront. Don't get me wrong I think he is a good prospect but is that what we need right now?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Crodo, I think you're painting a rosy picture of Sherwood that even his mum or agent would find hard to believe.

1. He's NOT the most successful Spurs manager in the Prem era - that was Harry Redknapp. He DOES have the best winning percentage but also has a high losing percentage as he didn't draw many matches. And Harry / Jol never got spanked by the big boys the way Sherwood's sides did.

2. I wouldn't call him eloquent, far from it. Plain-speaking certainly, although that can be a pro or a con.

3. Respected - yes, up to a point, but more than the likes of Redknapp, Malky Mackay, Hughton, Magath, Solskjaer?

Sherwood IS a risk, both because he's inexperienced as a manager and he likes to shoot his mouth off. These are two huge factors weighing against him. However, he's also got quite a lot going for him.

In many respects he's a similar candidate to Gus when he applied for the job in 2009. The fact Bloom took that gamble and it paid off could be a big favour in Sherwood getting the job now.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Love to see him as our manager. Make it happen Tony

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
1) but people complained when we had quiet Oscar.

I didn't. Not once.

2) not sure what that matters much.

I think it does.

3) fair point, at least it would be a continuous worry - more so the better he does.#

4) presumably those he critised for not doing enough or left out as he brought on kids, along the way to that >60% win rate.

OK, minor point to me anyway.

im not advocating Sherwood, but i really don't understand the criticism and don't think it would be a bad choice.

Just answering the original poster's question..

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I had nothing against Sherwood until I heard the interview on Talksport today.

He referred to himself in the 3rd person at least twice. I therefore decided I want him nowhere near our club.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Crodo, I think you're painting a rosy picture of Sherwood that even his mum or agent would find hard to believe.

1. He's NOT the most successful Spurs manager in the Prem era - that was Harry Redknapp. He DOES have the best winning percentage but also has a high losing percentage as he didn't draw many matches. And Harry / Jol never got spanked by the big boys the way Sherwood's sides did.

2. I wouldn't call him eloquent, far from it. Plain-speaking certainly, although that can be a pro or a con.

3. Respected - yes, up to a point, but more than the likes of Redknapp, Malky Mackay, Hughton, Magath, Solskjaer?

Sherwood IS a risk, both because he's inexperienced as a manager and he likes to shoot his mouth off. These are two huge factors weighing against him. However, he's also got quite a lot going for him.

In many respects he's a similar candidate to Gus when he applied for the job in 2009. The fact Bloom took that gamble and it paid off could be a big favour in Sherwood getting the job now.

[MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] - you've been on this site over 10 years now. How can you not know Crodonilson is the biggest WUM ever?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

If Sherwood is a risk, then I presume you would not want Rangnick, Zola, clement, hoddle or any other manager who has not coached a successful team in the Championship?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here