Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Blind Tiger (Hectors House) -The Petition...

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Apologies if this features -

Brighton's 'Blind Tiger' venue is shutting its doors - one complaint from a new tenant above the venue has resulted in its music license being revoked. A petition is gathering pace and it would be great if NSC stood up for Brighton's unique live music scene in which the Blind Tiger has played a big part in (over 100 years) - please sign the link attached below.

Cheers,

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/brighton-and-hove-city-council-repeal-the-noise-abatement-notice-served-to-the-blind-tiger-club

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I signed but I don't believe for one second that a venue's license has been revoked and the place permanently shut down because of 1 person making 1 complaint.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
TBH i spent 19 years in Brighton and never actually heard of this venue, however i'll sign purely because I'm sick to death of people moving near exisiting music venues / pubs etc... and then having the cheek to complain about the noise. How on earth can the council allow this to happen, it's absurd.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'm not surprised to be honest. I've had hearing problems for days after going to a gig there. Far FAR louder than anywhere else in town and dangerous for both customers and staff. Perhaps they should turn it down a little.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I signed but I don't believe for one second that a venue's license has been revoked and the place permanently shut down because of 1 person making 1 complaint.

I guess we can only go by what we are told - in this case 'The Arugs'... either way I would like the venue to remain open :)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It wasn't John Catt that moved into the flat by chance ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
TBH i spent 19 years in Brighton and never actually heard of this venue, however i'll sign purely because I'm sick to death of people moving near exisiting music venues / pubs etc... and then having the cheek to complain about the noise. How on earth can the council allow this to happen, it's absurd.

It changed name a couple of years back, used to be Hectors House I think?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
SIGNED
surely the guy knew they had live music when he moved in

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I wonder who owns the building? #prime real-estate.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013

It was Hectors House for a fair amount of time - wouldn't be suprised if its had other names in recent times...

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Oh okay thanks both, yes I remember Hectors House a lot, I did go in there a few times (not for live music but for the pub itself). If I remember rightly at one point they also had the 'space invaders' tables I think, where you could play old school video games built into the table while you sat and drank your drink. (Could be wrong!)

I'll share on FB too.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Was it closed down due to one complaint or was something found to be a bit awry following an investigation after the complaint was received?

It's sad to see a music venue close regardless of the answer but I do find it hard to believe that one complaint on its own has caused the doors to close...

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
Based on the argus article it one was complainant, with multiple complaints. The owner has said they've turned down the sound / bass etc... as much as they can.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I like the Blind Tiger, in my view this venue is as good was it has ever been under the current ownership. For someone to move in above a venue and then complain about the noise and seek to get it shut down is utterly RIDICULOUS. If you want peace and quiet move somewhere else, do not expect an EXISTING live music venue to shut down just for your benefit. I have signed and shared this petition.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The venue have done everything they can to resolve this including attempting to rehouse the person in question.

The facts are;

Tennant moved in a year ago.
Tennant complained about the noise to the venue almost immediately.
Venue tried to make things easier for the tennant but their flat is directly above where the stage is, to the point that even with unamplified music and drums the drums would still be too loud.
The venue looked into soundproofing the entire place but this was too expensive for a struggling independent music venue
Tennant complained to the council around a month ago.
Live music ban comes into effect from today.

Reminiscent of the Free Butt closure where one person's complaint killed a highly respected, long standing, job creating music venue. However, no sooner had the Free Butt closed its doors than the Green Door Store opened, I suspect something similar might occur here as the Blind Tiger has had quite a few homes in its time.

However, petition signed. It's barmy that someone can move in above a music venue and force its closure.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
Signed this a couple of days ago. I like the place and would be sad to see it closed down as a live music venue. I played a gig here a little while ago AND got to see one of my favourite gigs ever when Father John Misty played there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here