Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Goalkeeper ?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
With the need of a new first choice goalkeeper after Kuszczak has left, I'd love to see us go for Kieran Westwood from Sunderland.

Great goalkeeper who I've always been very impressed with. Fantastic with his feet and a top distributer of the ball. For me, he's one of the most under rated keepers around....IMO he's better than Sunderland's first choice Mannone. Also....westwood is OUT OF CONTRACT so we wouldn't need to pay a fee.

I'd love to see us go for him, but if not....another keeper I quite like is Joe Murphy from Coventry. Impressed me every time I've seen him play and again, he's pretty decent with his feet. Also out of contract

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Agree.

Westwood was first choice at SUnderland before getting injured and then Mannone came in and did very well and deservedly kept his place.

Did not know he was out of contract, so a no brainer for me, and he is the right side of 30 as well I think.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Yeah westwood is only about 30 I think. Just before we got Kuszczak I had wanted westwood back then. I can't imagine he would want/require higher wages than TK was on. No transfer fee....perfect replacement IMO

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yeah westwood is only about 30 I think. Just before we got Kuszczak I had wanted westwood back then. I can't imagine he would want/require higher wages than TK was on. No transfer fee....perfect replacement IMO

The problem if there is no transfer fee, is the agent/player will command a large signing on fee in place of that. That was part of Kaz's annoyance, that we triggered his extension clause I believe, as he was expecting a large pay day.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
In some respects yes, but that fee would be considerably less than what you'd pay for a quality goalkeeper

As for Kaz, I don't think that was his annoyance. I think he was a bit peeved because pretty much all of the players who were released, were good friends of his

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Westwood is a decent keeper, though a couple of seasons in Sunderland's reserves may not have helped him.

My current hunch, as of about ten minutes ago, is Jamie Ashdown. Just been released by Leeds. Is free to sign for anybody, won't be in huge demand, is a southern based lad (I assume, having started out at Reading & Pompey) and, key, I think here, is a cheap option.

No idea if he's any good or not these days, or whether he's got enough quality to be a first choice keeper at this level, but I won't be in the slightest bit surprised if he comes winging our way. Depending on the new manager's preferences, of course.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
The one that impressed me this year was Lee Camp but, as he's only just joined Bournemouth it's unlikely we'd be able to tempt him away

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The one that impressed me this year was Lee Camp but, as he's only just joined Bournemouth it's unlikely we'd be able to tempt him away

No chance, whatsoever. He'll be on a nice fat wage down there.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Jamie Ashdown is a no from me. If he was to come in as a back up keeper/ankergren replacement then fair enough but he's not better than anks IMO.

Also, if you say that Westwood may have lost a bit playing for sunderland reserves.....then surley the same would be for Ashdown? Always been 2nd choice at leeds since he went there

Westwood for me is an obvious choice. But like I say, Joe Murphy from Coventry wouldn't be a bad choice

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jamie Ashdown is a no from me. If he was to come in as a back up keeper/ankergren replacement then fair enough but he's not better than anks IMO.

Also, if you say that Westwood may have lost a bit playing for sunderland reserves.....then surley the same would be for Ashdown? Always been 2nd choice at leeds since he went there

Westwood for me is an obvious choice. But like I say, Joe Murphy from Coventry wouldn't be a bad choice

Please note: I'm not saying I'm in favour of Ashdown or that I know an awful lot about him. I just have a hunch that he'll swing by this way, that's all.

I think we could probably do worse, but, as you say, whether he's a number one...

Westwood and Murphy are both keepers who have spent most of their careers up north (well, alright, the Midlands in Murphy's case), and, particularly when players get to the latter stages of their careers, they might find family ties- kids' schooling etc- quite a pull when it comes to deciding where to move next.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Please note: I'm not saying I'm in favour of Ashdown or that I know an awful lot about him. I just have a hunch that he'll swing by this way, that's all.

I think we could probably do worse, but, as you say, whether he's a number one...

Westwood and Murphy are both keepers who have spent most of their careers up north (well, alright, the Midlands in Murphy's case), and, particularly when players get to the latter stages of their careers, they might find family ties- kids' schooling etc- quite a pull when it comes to deciding where to move next.

True, but who wouldn't want to settle down on the sunny south coast? Haha

either way, if we signed Westwood I'd be delighted!

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Westwood has just been released by Sunderland.....get on the phone Mr Bloom!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just to throw another name into the mix, I quite like Darren Randolph at Birmingham, still only 27 and a Republic of Ireland international. Whether Birmingham would be prepared to let him go, and at what price, is of course another matter.

Kikikaikai

Charlatan?
May 20, 2014
Brighton
Aren't we in the process of signing Emiliano Viviano, the player that was released by Arsenal?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here