Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Upson to Leicester?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Leicester after Matt on a free according to the Mirror, , hopefully it is the same crap sauce they usually have

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Why wouldn't they? He was our Player of the Season and he'd have one more big payday. It's the price we're going to keep paying for not getting to the PL.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
As good as he has been for us in the Championship, I'm not sure his ageing legs will necessarily be as good in the Premier League. That said, if it's a choice between staying here or having a final go at Premier League football on a higher wage there will only be one winner

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Leicester after Matt on a free according to the Mirror, , hopefully it is the same crap sauce they usually have

All I can find are references saying that Leicester are "interested in" Matt - not the other way around! I'm sure lots of clubs are interested in him but have no chance of him ever going to them. Hope Leics is one of these.

Personally think he's past chasing PL glory and now looking more philosophically at his career. Sussex trumps E. Mids as a place to live and when you've already had the career he's had, personal happiness is probably more important.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
All I can find are references saying that Leicester are "interested in" Matt - not the other way around! I'm sure lots of clubs are interested in him but have no chance of him ever going to them. Hope Leics is one of these.

Personally think he's past chasing PL glory and now looking more philosophically at his career. Sussex trumps E. Mids as a place to live and when you've already had the career he's had, personal happiness is probably more important.

That's a nice sentiment, but if he's offered another season in the PL on higher wages he'll be off.

He doesn't have to live in the East Mids. Harry still lives in Dorset and commutes to London every day.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
He knows exactly what is needed in the Prem i don't know what sort of physical condition he's in but i can't see it happening. Or they have him as cover on the bench; after playing 2 good seasons of football can't see that either.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
That's a nice sentiment, but if he's offered another season in the PL on higher wages he'll be off.

He doesn't have to live in the East Mids. Harry still lives in Dorset and commutes to London every day.

But married earlier this year (on day of the Easter Open Day - hence he wasn't there), has son and wouldn't commute from here to E Mids, would need to be on the other side of London (IMO).

He comes across as a pretty sorted guy and so I do think family will come first for him. Depends on how settled they are.

(Perhaps wishful thinking on my part!)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This will happen as he is a very good player and I would suspect he will be a bit part player at Leicester, Having no manager in place at the moment will affect his decision

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
This will happen as he is a very good player and I would suspect he will be a bit part player at Leicester, Having no manager in place at the moment will affect his decision

So you think Pearsons going to last at Leicester!? Their defence is going to get battered!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
But married earlier this year (on day of the Easter Open Day - hence he wasn't there), has son and wouldn't commute from here to E Mids, would need to be on the other side of London (IMO).

He comes across as a pretty sorted guy and so I do think family will come first for him. Depends on how settled they are.

(Perhaps wishful thinking on my part!)

Agree with your viewpoint. Just can't see it happening - he's not quick enough for the prem anymore, and can't see him wanting to go there if only to sit on the bench in what is probably his final season as a player.

Even if he did go, it would be a shame, but I don't think it would be the end of the world for us. He's going to be one of our bigger earners and that money can be used to attract a younger player but with similar experience I'm sure.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
He's going to be one of our bigger earners and that money can be used to attract a younger player but with similar experience I'm sure.

Unfortunately, centre backs with international experience and a decade of Premier League experience don't grow on trees. Personally, I think we'll find him difficult to replace if he leaves.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If true - chances are he will be getting more money, but less games.

It depends what his priorities are. He might go for one last big pay packet like Bridge did.

This. I don't think he's got the legs to cope with the physical demands of the PL, but then he may be able to adapt his game a la Giggs. If its money then it's sayonara, but if it's about playing time then i'd hope he stays here and signs a new deal.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Why?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So Leicester, who's owners were boasting about spending £180 million this transfer window, are going to sign Matthew Upson.

OK, that all adds up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here