Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

snakes

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
okay so im looking to buy a snake for the first time, I know the equipment that is needed but the thing is is what type of snake I should go for? I was looking at corn snakes but im no expert and thought I could hope someone on here may be able to help me out. would also like to know how you go about buying a snake in England???

I know its one of the odder requests on here but thought it was worth an ask

*queue snake puns*

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why a snake ? I HONESTLY don't see the point. I'm not grossed out by them, but as a pet, what on earth can you get out of them ?

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
I reckon you should name it after the next manager for good luck. Or a name based on his name.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Instead of obtaining a snake and keeping it in an unnatural environment, why not do something for local wildlife like growing Bee friendly plants, putting up bird or bat nesting boxes or making a small pond in your back garden ? That way you will avoid ending up on various RSPCA programmes if/when it all goes horribly wrong, plus you will bask in the glory of knowing you have done something good.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
okay so im looking to buy a snake for the first time, I know the equipment that is needed but the thing is is what type of snake I should go for? I was looking at corn snakes but im no expert and thought I could hope someone on here may be able to help me out. would also like to know how you go about buying a snake in England???

I know its one of the odder requests on here but thought it was worth an ask

*queue snake puns*

My mates son bought a couple of corn snakes but he has gone travelling and gave them to his dad to look after them. Anyway to cut a long story short despite them not being poisonous, when he was holding one of them it struck and bit him between his eyebrows just missing his eye.

So the moral of this story is that they do bite.

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Instead of obtaining a snake and keeping it in an unnatural environment, why not do something for local wildlife like growing Bee friendly plants, putting up bird or bat nesting boxes or making a small pond in your back garden ? That way you will avoid ending up on various RSPCA programmes if/when it all goes horribly wrong, plus you will bask in the glory of knowing you have done something good.

I did think of this but I would like to see the animal develop as my own and raise it rather than just having a few animals and also I would like to look after the animal properly. You can't really look after a bee, they don't do much :/

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I brought two corn snakes for next to nothing . Sometimes people give them away including hatchlings.

Excellent forum this.

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/

My advice is look into a ball python or carpet python. Far more interesting snake. Make sure your mum/missus don't mind frozen mice in the freezer

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
My mates son bought a couple of corn snakes but he has gone travelling and gave them to his dad to look after them. Anyway to cut a long story short despite them not being poisonous, when he was holding one of them it struck and bit him between his eyebrows just missing his eye.

So the moral of this story is that they do bite.

I know they bite. But all animals Bite and I luckily don't have a fear of snakes so should all be okay. Plus theyre not venomous so no lasting damage

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I did think of this but I would like to see the animal develop as my own and raise it rather than just having a few animals and also I would like to look after the animal properly. You can't really look after a bee, they don't do much :/

The leishes are a swine to get on as well, believe me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Sad, really sad that you feel that way. You could try making a compost heap in your back garden and put all your green waste and grass cuttings etc in. This will attract Slow Worms which in reality are legless Lizards but, look like snakes.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You could achieve this by not encouraging trade in a species that doesn't belong here and letting in remain in whatever country the exotic species trader nicked it from, poor thing. Unless it's a UK species in which just let the poor thing remain wild!

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
I brought two corn snakes for next to nothing . Sometimes people give them away including hatchlings.

Excellent forum this.

My advice is look into a ball python or carpet python. Far more interesting snake. Make sure your mum/missus don't mind frozen mice in the freezer

Ah thanks very much and she said as long as she doesn't have to have anything to do with the snake then it's fine

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Excellent forum this.

Now that is just sneaky, imagine a Python that has a pattern the same as a carpet and when you walk across it BAM !

tomfitz12

CTRL+W to change this
Nov 25, 2012
southwick
Sad, really sad that you feel that way. You could try making a compost heap in your back garden and put all your green waste and grass cuttings etc in. This will attract Slow Worms which in reality are legless Lizards but, look like snakes.

Apologies if that line looked bad. I didn't mean it as in I don't respect wildlife, I meant it as in I'm looking for a pet and as great as it is to promote conservation of the wildlife, that is not what I'm looking to do.

Note: I do also already have a compost heap that is home to many species of beetles. Unfortunately so slow worms to speak of though

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here