Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Local Country Walks

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Been on an excellent short walk today, just Pyecombe to the Dyke, but it was a great experience to enjoy the weather whilst it lasts. Just an hour and a half.

I took me to wondering if other people do similar things on here, and if anyone has any recommendations for short local Sussex walks to make use of the close season weather whilst weekends are warmer, and not so fully occupied with sporting pursuits.

I’m guessing there are a few country enthusiasts on NSC, so I’d thought I’d put it out for comment as a distraction from my deliberations over the managerial vacancy.

I know the local terrain around Brighton well, but any recommendations that make use of public transport further afield would be keenly investigated.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Am walking from the Dyke to Beachy Head in the summer for charity. I look forward to the suggestions of this thread for use on my 'training' walks. I need to walk 20 miles a week in prep.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Fairly flat and easy but I like to park up, walk along a disused railway to the anchor at Barcombe. Have a large dinner with couple of beers. Then continue along the Ouse to a waterfall and back to car. Can't remember the hamlet where we park but there is a disused railway station there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A walk up the Adur to Upper Beeding is nice and flat

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Living in Bevendean, we have the Downs on our doorstep. A couple of times in the past my dog and I have joined the Downs, walked East towards Falmer road, followed the footpath to Falmer Hill and then onto Kingston Ridge and down into Kingston to The Juggs for a couple of beers ( water for the dog) and lunch. Lovely walk but going back on a full stomach takes a little more effort.:blush:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford to the Cuckmere is good. Some of the best views in England. Shame they changed the name of the pub there but it's still a great place for lunch.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Nice circular 3 mile walk beginning and ending at Rodmell via the Ouse and Southease.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nice circular 3 mile walk beginning and ending at Rodmell via the Ouse and Southease.

I did a similar walk in this area last month, started just past Piddinghoe and walked along the river and over the bridge to Southese station as I thought the Youth Hostel cafe would be open but it had just closed when we got there, my mrs suggested we walked to the pub at Rodmell, I didn't argue, had a drink then walked back to Piddinghoe.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Woodingdean (park near the former Sunblest cotton-wool bread factory), to Kingston, on the South Downs. Some beautifully quiet Coombe valleys directly beneath on the south side of the walk, and the Juggs Arms at Kingston.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I did a similar walk in this area last month, started just past Piddinghoe and walked along the river and over the bridge to Southese station as I thought the Youth Hostel cafe would be open but it had just closed when we got there, my mrs suggested we walked to the pub at Rodmell, I didn't argue, had a drink then walked back to Piddinghoe.

Jeez! I haven't walked anywhere (substantial) in the last 25 years.
That what motors were invented for------shirley:moo:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
In the Argus magazine on a Saturday there is a walk described every week, from different parts of sussex.

They tend to vary between 5 to 7 miles, often circular which I much prefer.

They are also available on their website.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not a country walk, but I've practically worn my own groove into the seafront between Portslade and the Palace Pier and back. Plenty of sluttage, which is always a bonus.

As an aside, I was walking along the seafront today towards a chap who seemed to be sporting a t-shirt with a rather fetching design of a large seagull emblazoned across the front, not unlike the one on the front of the old Batman black away kit, but far more resplendent and elaborate. Upon closer inspection though as we passed, it turned out to be an enormous SWEAT patch spread out beneath his copious moobs.

My disappointment was only slightly tempered by my outright revulsion.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Train to Falmer then past the Amex up to Juggs Lane to Kingston and continue into Lewes through the Priory and Southover for some liquid refreshment and various transport options home.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Jeez! I haven't walked anywhere (substantial) in the last 25 years.
That what motors were invented for------shirley:moo:

I heard a radio report recently of a survey done by the Ramblers Association I think it was. Apparently, two thirds of the respondents, clearly NOT ramblers, would "not entertain the idea of walking anywhere that takes more than 20 minutes". :ohmy:

Not sure of the sample size etc, but it's sad yet hardly surprising - given the amount of people that drive their kids to school, drive to the local corner shop and refuse to walk or cycle to work.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I heard a radio report recently of a survey done by the Ramblers Association I think it was. Apparently, two thirds of the respondents, clearly NOT ramblers, would "not entertain the idea of walking anywhere that takes more than 20 minutes". :ohmy:

Not sure of the sample size etc, but it's sad yet hardly surprising - given the amount of people that drive their kids to school, drive to the local corner shop and refuse to walk or cycle to work.

Astonishing figures.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here