Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gianfranco Zola

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
I'm surprised he's had little mention, I know he had a poor start to the season but he had a cracking season with Watford last season, played promising attacking, passing football. I personally think we have more chance appointing him than Clement or Sherwood.

Thoughts?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Had a mentally strong squad last season though...

Has he ever shown any capability for working within a budget, getting the most out of players, having good mental preparation, working with youngsters, identifying potential in players, building a strong squad? That is what we need, not a big money manager who can't do shit without the biggest budget in the league. (Mackay)

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Poyet best mate in football and his regular golf partner. More chance of singing Messi than Zola turning up here and thank god for that.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Poyet best mate in football and his regular golf partner. More chance of singing Messi than Zola turning up here and thank god for that.

One could say football fans dont sing well in the first place ???

On topic, no thanks - his success at Watford was down to all the good loan players brought in, they mostly left at the beginning of the season and as a result, they turned to shit and then Sannino came in and improved them.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
No thanks. Another 'designer' manager living on past glories as a player.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm surprised he's had little mention, I know he had a poor start to the season but he had a cracking season with Watford last season, played promising attacking, passing football. I personally think we have more chance appointing him than Clement or Sherwood.

Thoughts?

Would be happy with Zola.

Would HATE Sherwood.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
My family who are Watford fans say that they got to the playoff final last year in spite of Zola, as opposed to because of him. And then look what the manager they unfairly sacked to make way for him has achieved with a much less squad. No thanks.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm yet to be convinced by him as a manager. Nice guy but horrendously over-rated.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Thoughts?

dark-horse.jpg

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
If we employed Zola it would prove Bloom has learnt nothing from the Poyet & Oscar debacles.
For me it would be out the frying pan into the fire with him. He opitimizes all the negative things we've seen in our last two managers rolled into one. Great player in his day but tactically inept as a manager in the big games with delusions of grandeur & no motivation or imagination at a level they feel is beneath them.
I watched Zola closely in the play-off final against Palace & he looked apathetic at best when they needed strong leadership from the sidelines, standing with hands in pockets whilst Holloway was stoking up his players towards victory. Ring any bells?
Watford's slide earlier this season was not wholly unexpected in my opinion and for all the above reasons I implore Tony to disregard any notion of Zola for the job.
Whilst we're at it forget Di Matteo who got lucky at Chelsea and is another mate of Poyet who thinks he's bigger than a club like Brighton. Speaks poorly when quizzed on tactics & knowledge of the modern game and, like Zola, is more interested in playing golf than sweating blood & tears to get a team out of the Championship.

We need a manager who is motivated, British, positive, understands the Championship and the clubs fans, and most of all has the added incentive to prove themselves as a manager.
Sherwood fit's the bill in my opinion. I really cannot seeing him failing if we're lucky enough to get him.

Last edited:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The Argus reports that a "representative" of Zola has distanced him from the job.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If we employed Zola it would prove Bloom has learnt nothing from the Poyet & Oscar debacles.
For me it would be out the frying pan into the fire with him. He opitimizes all the negative things we've seen in our last two managers rolled into one. Great player in his day but tactically inept as a manager in the big games with delusions of grandeur & no motivation or imagination at a level they feel is beneath them.
I watched Zola closely in the play-off final against Palace & he looked apathetic at best when they needed strong leadership from the sidelines, standing with hands in pockets whilst Holloway was stoking up his players towards victory. Ring any bells?
Watford's slide earlier this season was not wholly unexpected in my opinion and for all the above reasons I implore Tony to disregard any notion of Zola for the job.
Whilst we're at it forget Di Matteo who got lucky at Chelsea and is another mate of Poyet who thinks he's bigger than a club like Brighton. Speaks poorly when quizzed on tactics & knowledge of the modern game and, like Zola, is more interested in playing golf than sweating blood & tears to get a team out of the Championship.

We need a manager who is motivated, British, positive, understands the Championship and the clubs fans, and most of all has the added incentive to prove themselves as a manager.
Sherwood fit's the bill in my opinion. I really cannot seeing him failing if we're lucky enough to get him.

this
but and its a big but, it sounds very much like he does not suffer fools gladly

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
this
but and its a big but, it sounds very much like he does not suffer fools gladly

But he did drop Sandro and replace him with some kid from the youth team who only passes sideways...

And on the Zola note, I'd rather have Holloway than him. Zola has yet to prove anything, and personally I think he's just too 'nice' to be a manager.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
With the quality at his disposal in 2012-2013 anything short of automatic promotion was a failure and he failed. Especially in the play off final :(

Great player , I am sure he is a nice bloke but not been too successful as a manager.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here