Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gianluca Vialli's 'Poorest Kids must see the World Cup'

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Just a question, and by no means questioning the cause. But how does it cost £15,000 to send 15 people to one match??

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
You would think that holding a potentially money spinning event in Brazil, or in other poorer nations, would actually help people like this. Sadly, it would appear that it will not make any difference whatsoever - it certainly has not made any significant difference here. It does not help that FIFA pays no tax at all to the host country.

DuncanS

May 19, 2014
Dubious at £1k per ticket. Why these 15 anyway?

Hi Rich,

I work at Tifosy and we are doing our best to bring down the price of the tickets so that we can send more of these children.

You are absolutely right that £1,000 is a lot of money, so why are these tickets so expensive?

Well, we have a few restraints that are making it difficult to bring the price down, the biggest is that we need all of the seats together. Currently, the only way we can be sure of this is to buy 'Hospitality' tickets directly from the FIFA website, which are more expensive than regular tickets, on the plus side they do come with some nice surprises for the children. Most of these girls have never even been to a restaurant before, so you can imagine what their faces will be like when they are meeting the FIFA ambassadors.

We have two guys focused on finding a way to get the tickets cheaper, so that more children will be able to go... so if you know a guy who knows a guy who has some tickets they can't use... contact us please!

These children were selected because they had the most regular attendance at the Favela Street training sessions. It's also the same group that won the Street Child World Cup:)

If you've got a spare £10 or £20 lying around and your not sure what to do with it... Nudge nudge:) www.tifosy.com/maracana

Thanks guys,
Duncan

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Good cause , but i have to ask if i have missed something here ? Has FIFA been contacted re tickets ?, and why are they not donating tickets to a very good local cause. I Am not having a pop just asking a question

DuncanS

May 19, 2014
We do have our fingers crossed that FIFA or one of the big sponsors will get involved. Our friends at Street Child World Cup are lending a hand with that.
There is a second group of children in Sao Paolo that are lined up to go if we manage to get the price down/get tickets donated/ or make it passed the target.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks again,
Duncan

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Cannot the Hosptality business selling the tickets just give these away for once and use the publicity. Why not publish its name and they can tell us why they are charging a group of street kids an 85% mark up to line their own pockets.

DuncanS

May 19, 2014
Cannot the Hosptality business selling the tickets just give these away for once and use the publicity. Why not publish its name and they can tell us why they are charging a group of street kids an 85% mark up to line their own pockets.

The tickets are direct from the FIFA website. We have managed to get almost everything else donated by warm-hearted businesses, like gramafilm(made the video) and BT supporters trust(gave us some footage of Brazil), if we get through to the right person at FIFA we might get lucky, but we aren't relying on them.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
The richest tournament in the world, FIFA practically run it as a state within a state, making millions upon millions and yet still ordinary supporters are being asked to put their hands into their pockets. Football never ceases to amaze me.

DuncanS

May 19, 2014
FIFA certainly doesn't need the money, so we'll keep trying to get through to them, but I'm not holding my breath:)

In the meantime, it's up to supporters to make it possible for these girls to go, or not.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
FIFA certainly doesn't need the money, so we'll keep trying to get through to them, but I'm not holding my breath:)

In the meantime, it's up to supporters to make it possible for these girls to go, or not.

This for me sums up FIFA

Is it mot more worthwhile asking FIFA what they can do to help back in the cozy
eschelons of Sion

DuncanS

May 19, 2014
This for me sums up FIFA

Is it mot more worthwhile asking FIFA what they can do to help back in the cozy
eschelons of Sion

Hehe, yeah. We contacted FIFA and they never responded.
A few people from friendly organisations are trying to contact FIFA again at different levels to see if that makes any difference.

At this point, I think the kindness of a few hundred strangers is more likely than FIFA to suddenly notice the little people:)

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
The tickets are direct from the FIFA website. We have managed to get almost everything else donated by warm-hearted businesses, like gramafilm(made the video) and BT supporters trust(gave us some footage of Brazil), if we get through to the right person at FIFA we might get lucky, but we aren't relying on them.

This .. your target is FIFA the supplier surely you hit the right gut there you will get tickets or failing that llok at the official world cup sponsors ie Barclaycard etc

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hehe, yeah. We contacted FIFA and they never responded.
A few people from friendly organisations are trying to contact FIFA again at different levels to see if that makes any difference.

At this point, I think the kindness of a few hundred strangers is more likely than FIFA to suddenly notice the little people:)

How about enlisting the kindness of a few hundred millionaire footballers?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
An admirable cause, and I respect the sentiment entirely, however, how about taking the £15k and spending it more wisely on educational facilities for the children, rather than expose them to the unattainable, swagged up, gravy train experience of the hospitality suites of a FIFA World Cup? Better still. If you want to do something extrodinary for these kids, why not get them tickets to go and see the teams they really care about in the Brazilian league next season, you'll get a lot more for your money too.

ditchy

Jul 8, 2003
brighton
An admirable cause, and I respect the sentiment entirely, however, how about taking the £15k and spending it more wisely on educational facilities for the children, rather than expose them to the unattainable, swagged up, gravy train experience of the hospitality suites of a FIFA World Cup? Better still. If you want to do something extrodinary for these kids, why not get them tickets to go and see the teams they really care about in the Brazilian league next season, you'll get a lot more for your money too.

This too

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've been to a fair few football matches during my creep ............. and most of the time they were disappointing. I'm happy to give a tenner towards some kid with cancer to get some stickers or similar but I'm not remotely interested in anything that Stiff Batter will benefit from ............... for that reason, I'm out ................. but good luck all the same

DuncanS

May 19, 2014
This .. your target is FIFA the supplier surely you hit the right gut there you will get tickets or failing that llok at the official world cup sponsors ie Barclaycard etc

Good suggestion.
We have been reaching out to the sponsors. Hopefully one of them will come through with some tickets that they won't be using.

Like most people, I would rather not give money to FIFA, but this is the biggest party in football history in their city and they aren't invited.

If a few hundred people chip in, we can send these kids an invitation:)

Plus... I would love to see the expressions on the suits in hospitality with a bunch of the crazy, loud and excited 12-15 yr olds from the favela crashing their party:D

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here