Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New goalkeeper

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
One certainty is that we are looking for one and perhaps two goalkeepers.

How close is Christian Walton to a call up to the first team squad?

Which good keepers are becoming available? Only one I know who is available on a free is Marek Stech from Yeovil. He's still relatively young, but I've not seen him live...

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Stech is a real possibility. Jack Butland might be available from Stoke on a season-long loan.
Walton is first-team squad-ready and will step up to rotate on the bench with Anks.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Essentially Walton will replace Brez. We WILL sign a first choice keeper. Of course that's just my opinion....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hamer from Charlton is out of contract but seemingly off to Leicester

They let young Doherty go (due to sign for our DS) because he wasn't going to get the chance to break through. Now Hamer is off and Doherty would have been their third choice (as Walton will be with us) and a chance of making it with them. Fine lines between opportunity and none and as often as not it is down to luck and timing. Mitch Walker (going great guns at Dover and an England C international) is a good example. Would not be surprised to see him back in the league in a year or two.
Play anywhere from 2 to 11 and you have many more chances. For keepers the margins are finer.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Butland would be an obvious choice (if we really get a choice) although I can't say he's impressed me that much this season at the Amex.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
From what I've seen of Walton in the Devt squad I would say he's at least one season off regular first team football. He needs a season as no 2, playing in cup games and providing cover for the first choice keeper

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
From what I've seen of Walton in the Devt squad I would say he's at least one season off regular first team football. He needs a season as no 2, playing in cup games and providing cover for the first choice keeper

Saved me from writing it.

Physically he has some bulking up to do, in order to be more of presence. He is a great shot stopper, but I think League Cup only is the way forward for him next year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stech is a real possibility. Jack Butland might be available from Stoke on a season-long loan.
Walton is first-team squad-ready and will step up to rotate on the bench with Anks.

Buckland if available yes but people keep on about Stech who is not a improvement to Ankergren. For the club to just discard TK, who granted was the highest earner at the club, suggests thst they have a goalkeeper in line who is equal to TK on ability but cheaper and it most certainly wouldnt be Stech I dont think.

I would sooner they looked at Luke Steele of Barnsley or Frederici of Reading.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Buckland if available yes but people keep on about Stech who is not a improvement to Ankergren. For the club to just discard TK, who granted was the highest earner at the club, suggests thst they have a goalkeeper in line who is equal to TK on ability but cheaper and it most certainly wouldnt be Stech I dont think.

Agree with this. No expert on Stech but would hope to secure higher quality to replace TK.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I would sooner they looked at Luke Steele of Barnsley or Frederici of Reading.

I'd add Gilks to that list, but Stech is not good enough.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Hopefully they've gotten rid of TK because there's someone better in the frame....yeah right

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
If Sherwood get the managers job, I think he would be tempted to try and bring Brad Friedel in to be first choice, while mentoring Walton for a couple of seasons, until he is ready to make the step up. This would make perfect sence and Friedel is still a top class keeper. Would be a great bit of management, if this was to happen.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If Sherwood get the managers job, I think he would be tempted to try and bring Brad Friedel in to be first choice, while mentoring Walton for a couple of seasons, until he is ready to make the step up. This would make perfect sence and Friedel is still a top class keeper. Would be a great bit of management, if this was to happen.

Are you sure ? He is 43 today and has played 12 games in 2 years !!

Top class keeper ? Maybe 10/12 years ago but certainly not now !!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Buckland is awesome. I'd love to see him at our club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here