Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

unlimited data use on I pad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Please help ! ! Youngest granddaughter admitted to hospital with AML and will be in Southampton General for 6 months. Son and daughter in law want to get skype so she can talk to people but their allowance is only 2gb on I pad and 1gb on phone. Vodafone do not do any longer, I am told, for I pads and that allowance would only cover about 3 calls. Carphone Warehouse do up to 8Gb which is about 10 -12 calls if lucky, per month.

Anybody know how to get over this or a company that does a rolling or 6 month contract with unlimited internet. I am surprised Southamton General wont give or sell them the password for wi fi. Would be really grateful for any sound advice sorry but havent got the patience at this time for idiots wanting to post p..s takes.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Please help ! ! Youngest granddaughter admitted to hospital with AML and will be in Southampton General for 6 months. Son and daughter in law want to get skype so she can talk to people but their allowance is only 2gb on I pad and 1gb on phone. Vodafone do not do any longer, I am told, for I pads and that allowance would only cover about 3 calls. Carphone Warehouse do up to 8Gb which is about 10 -12 calls if lucky, per month.

Anybody know how to get over this or a company that does a rolling or 6 month contract with unlimited internet. I am surprised Southamton General wont give or sell them the password for wi fi. Would be really grateful for any sound advice sorry but havent got the patience at this time for idiots wanting to post p..s takes.

I can't help with regard to the technology BG, but I send my heartfelt best wishes to you and your family and especially your grandaughter.

:clap2: BensGrandad grandaughter

S

smileyweb

Sorry to hear about your granddaughter. My friend's daughter was diagnosed with AML last year, but is responding really well to the treatment(s) - and it CAN be beaten.

Try www.giffgaff.com - unlimited data for £12 a month.

All the best, to you and yours, BG.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Had to look up what AML was. All the best to her and a speedy recovery.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Don't know if this is any help but found it on the hospital website

"Public WiFi – The Trust does not routinely offer public access WiFi. It is possible to connect to the internet through some patient services as a chargeable item (for example bedside TVs) or in a limited number of areas via WiFi. "

Best wishes go to the young lady.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hi Bensgrandad, I was going to put up a thread about Lycamobile. I saw an advert today that offered 250 minutes, 1000 texts and UNLIMITED 4G Data for £12 per month. I was going to ask if anyone uses Lyca as I have only ever been with O2 but I know nothing about Lyca's coverage. This is by far the best 4g data bundle that I have seen on the market.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Oh bugger ... no answers but really hope you get it sorted and your grand daughter makes a full recovery

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry to hear about your granddaughter. My friend's daughter was diagnosed with AML last year, but is responding really well to the treatment(s) - and it CAN be beaten.

Try www.giffgaff.com - unlimited data for £12 a month.

All the best, to you and yours, BG.

Is that for phone or I pad and can the sim be used on an I pad from Vodafone. Will they need mifi unit to convert the sim to vodafone. I pad.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
For what it costs per month for the SIM card you use, I would say that signing up to the company who supply the hospital with wifi would be the best bet. Wifi is so much more reliable that relying on the mobile phone sim, when I spent a stint in Hayward's Heath princess royal, the phone coverage was extremely poor. Hope your grand daughter pulls through.

S

smileyweb

Is that for phone or I pad and can the sim be used on an I pad from Vodafone. Will they need mifi unit to convert the sim to vodafone. I pad.

You'll need to get the phone / iPad unlocked first - Vodafone will / should do it for free if you've been with them more than 12 months, otherwise they'll charge c.£20 to unlock it.

Otherwise, find the cheapest (unlocked) smartphone that can be used as a wifi hotspot (either new - Lumia 520, Moto G - or 2nd hand on eBay) stick the giffgaff sim in itand tether the iPad to the phone.

It might also be worth calling Vodafone, explaining the situation, and see what they can do for you - especially if your family are good / long-standing customers - you never know unless you ask.

Hope that helps.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
For what it costs per month for the SIM card you use, I would say that signing up to the company who supply the hospital with wifi would be the best bet. Wifi is so much more reliable that relying on the mobile phone sim, when I spent a stint in Hayward's Heath princess royal, the phone coverage was extremely poor. Hope your grand daughter pulls through.

that sounds best plan, at least recheck the situation on wifi and also check signal before commiting to a contract that might not do what you want. giffgaff (o2 network) suggested also 3 does genuine unlimited afaik. (i think though they all do if you pay high enough tariff). best wishes

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Ask the Hospital if they have a wifi network she can use.

Winchester Hospital have one

I've just started kidkey diaysis at RSCH 3 times a week, so could do with wifi. Looking at the the RSCH website, they do offer wifi, but it looks expensive to hook up to. They mentioned up to £3.20 an hour or something ridiculous.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Can't assist with the answer to mobile question but wishing your grand daughter all the best for a speedy recovery.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Sorry to hear BG,

If she has an iphone and the 3g is half decent sign her up to an unilimited 3g contract (or 4g if its good if your area)

You can then set up the personal hotspot which would make it work on the ipad as well

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Also, while I think about it.

You could try just emailing the CEO of the company that the ipad has its allowance through. If you explain the situation and the amount you are willing/able to pay extra then they may be able to sort something out for you. Even if it is just for the 6 months she is in hospital

A lot of the CEOs offices I have worked around will try and accomodate this sort of thing as the impact on reputation could be great for a very limited cost. If you were so happy with the company that you then changed you phone bill to them for the next 10 years, they will have easily made their money back from the unlimited access

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Otherwise, find the cheapest (unlocked) smartphone that can be used as a wifi hotspot (either new - Lumia 520, Moto G - or 2nd hand on eBay) stick the giffgaff sim in itand tether the iPad to the phone.

Giffgaff don't allow tethering (and yes, they know you are tethering) and will cut you off.

Three seem to offer the best deal, something like 10gb for £12 but, as others have said, check the 3G signal (bear in mind they might move her to a different ward where the coverage is crap)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have signed up with 3 at £15 per month and if needs be they can take out another sim to put into the mifi unit I had to buy so giving 20gb per month for £30. Or even take out as many contracts as they wish at £15 per month per 10 gb. Many thanks to all for their advice and good wishes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here