Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thread categories / icons / filtering threads

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have thought about this too, and wondered if this would work...

1. Posters are actively encouraged to choose am appropriate thread icon.
2. Ideally it will be mandatory when submitting a new thread.
3. Mods 'adjust' the icon if it is mis-applied.
4. Provide some tool for users to view only threads of a certain icon, thereby enabling those who want 'football only' to get that view, whilst not changing things for those who like the current smogasbord of threads.

I'm not aware of either 2 or 4 being available as modifications, but I could pay someone to create them - shouldn't cost too much.

Belatedly, I've sort of implemented the above. At the top of the Big Board there is a new filter which will help you select any particular flavour of thread you only wish to see.

The results are limited at the moment, obviously, as the thread categories are new.

I welcome all feedback and suggested categories/icons etc.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Seems liken too many categories to me.

Music, Film and TV? Could lump them together as 'culture' - not that many of the threads will be that cultured.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The rash of icons next to thread title...

Make the board look cluttered and untidy and add no value, in my opinion. Can they go please?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Oh - I've just read another thread which suggests they are required to enable people to filter what they wish to view. Oh well.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Oh - I've just read another thread which suggests they are required to enable people to filter what they wish to view. Oh well.

I don't do that.

Who does?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You can also click on any icon, on the main forum view, to immediately switch your view to only have threads of that category

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I might be able to make a change such that each thread has a category, but the icons aren't displayed on the main forum view. That might appease the "they're ugly" crowd whilst still allowing others to filter if they so desire.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I might be able to make a change such that each thread has a category, but the icons aren't displayed on the main forum view. That might appease the "they're ugly" crowd whilst still allowing others to filter if they so desire.

Thread categories is a great idea. The icons however aren't so that would be the perfect compromise

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England

winning solution

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Make the board look cluttered and untidy and add no value, in my opinion. Can they go please?

Agreed

The great thing about NSC has always been the wide variety of subjects covered on the main board and you may discover something that you may not have been looking for if all the topics are visible.

Are there really going to be that many who would wish to filter subjects down by category to make it a worthwhile feature? - I doubt it

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I like the idea Bozza but the icons are a bit pony, can you knock up or steal something less childish or give an option to hide them?

Dec 29, 2011
Are there really going to be that many who would wish to filter subjects down by category to make it a worthwhile feature? - I doubt it

But those who don't like it don't have to use it.. it really doesn't change the board mutch. A month trial could be implemented, if there are people who don't use it and get offended at it's presence, they can vote to get it changed back afterwards.. much like what happened with thumbs up/down.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can we have a "Nigel" icon ? Nscers should know beforehand if a thread has been contaminated or not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here