Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I fear not again in my lifetime

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
hahaha good one! :thumbsup:

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I'm in favour of the rules they want to introduce whereby domestic squads would have to have a % contingent of English players. Our homegrown players get shunned in favour of expensive world talent too much. That's the difference between then and now, i believe.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I'm in favour of the rules they want to introduce whereby domestic squads would have to have a % contingent of English players. Our homegrown players get shunned in favour of expensive world talent too much. That's the difference between then and now, i believe.

And how do you explain our failure to qualify in 1974 and 1978 when near enough everyone playing professional football in England, was English?

Dec 29, 2011

Maybe if we produced players who could play at the highest level of club football we wouldn't need to limit the competition to give them a chance.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
Will we ever win the World Cup again ?

Probably.

These things run in cycles.

10 years ago German football was in crisis. Now they are the best team in the World.

We very nearly won the World Cup in 1990.

At the moment we are not very good, but have some very promising young players.

If they develop and we find one or two superstars, who knows, in 8 years time we might be favourites.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Probably.

These things run in cycles.

10 years ago German football was in crisis. Now they are the best team in the World.

We very nearly won the World Cup in 1990.

At the moment we are not very good, but have some very promising young players.

If they develop and we find one or two superstars, who knows, in 8 years time we might be favourites.

in the heat of Qatar, not a chance, more chance Gus being our next manager

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
And how do you explain our failure to qualify in 1974 and 1978 when near enough everyone playing professional football in England, was English?

I'm not justifying anything, I just don't think home grown players are a priority for any big English clubs, for any number of reasons including the promotion and merchandise sales abroad.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I still believe it will happen.

Spain would have been just as doubtful ten years ago.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

British.

Our top league then, was packed with Scots and Irish.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Like Billy Bremner, Denis Law, Liam Brady, Ian Rush, Kenny Dalglish, Johnny Giles, Alan Hansen, Joe Jordan, Asa Hartford, Tommy Burns, John Robertson & Archie Gemmill, presumably.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When we were bidding for both the World Cup and the Olympics, I said if we only get one, hope it's the Olympics.

Now that came to pass, I stand by my thoughts.. Olympics were amazing. The WC would be absolutely chaos.

Why would a World Cup in England be "absolute chaos" ?

I think its actually incredible that this country hasn't hosted one for nearly 50 years, and still won't be in the equation to host one for generations. Obviously the vested interests and politics of FIFA has seen to that, but I don't think there is a country in the world better equipped to host a World Cup than England.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Maybe if we produced players who could play at the highest level of club football we wouldn't need to limit the competition to give them a chance.

Which brings us nicely around to how the greed of the PL clubs is starving grass roots football where these players originate from. I remember the FA loudly proclaiming that the PL (or whatever they called it back then) was being set up to improve England's chances in future world cups which we all know now was a crock of shit. It was only ever about money. It will only ever help England's chances if there is a minimum number of home grown players in squads and on the pitch. Until that happens-we'll never get close to winning it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here