Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man City buy off UEFA

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So, what's the point of FFP if all the worst perpetrated gets is a pathetic punishment.

Money 1 Football 0. It's a disgrace how UEFA have capitulated to MCFC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27445475

They are buying their way to these trophies. What message does this send out and what precedent does it set in a court of law. Next year these lenient punishment will be cited by expensive lawyers representing rich clubs.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It is probably more like New money 1 Football 0.

While the merits of FFP are to be applauded, they were introduced to stop clubs effectively following the route of Leeds and Portsmouth and others in other spending and then endangering their futures. With the money behind City there is little or no danger of this happening.

Also at the highest levels FFP only looks to protect the existing big clubs in that they are the ones that qualify for the Champions League, and therefore are able to pay higher transfer fees and wages to attract better players and so qualify each year for the Champions League.

The gulf to break into the champions league therefore becomes too great as the money required to move up a level would mean failing FFP rules for that season, unless by chance you unearth a team of very talented home grown younger players.

Still with the new training ground opening shortlywe will be able to overcome these difficulties.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
That's actually harsher than I thought it would be.
I was fully expecting UEFA to bow down to City's greatness and let them get away with a slap on the wrist!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what did you think the punishment would be?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I still think the fines should have been shared out to the bottom end of the league to help the pyramid system and help clubs develop youth system which will help to bring on young British players which will get pinched by the big boys.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Football is in a big bubble and when bubbles get so big, they burst. It'll end in tears but ultimately will be good for football, just predicting when the bubble will burst though will bet he difficult thing to do.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
It's so pathetic it's almost laughable. Punishment for a club with more money than sense is primarily to fine them and limit their next seasons transfer spend to a still obscene figure. You almost couldn't make it up. :facepalm:

Reminds me of a certain person in my town some years ago. Drove around in a Jag and parked it just where he pleased. As far as I could gather, he received parking tickets galore but paying them didn't matter to him as money wasn't a problem. So he continued to park where he liked with no effective punishment ever being meted out. Had he parked on white zigzags he would have accumulated points on his licence and lost it eventually, but as it was, with double yellows it was just fine after fine and was all taken in his stride.

What will be interesting is to see what will happen when a club breaks FFP rules for the second time and so on and so on. Will the punishments keep increasing and take in things like competition bans or points deductions, or will they remain the same in their nature, all centred around money?

Of course Manchester City reached a deal with UEFA and haven't appealed. As they effectively say themselves - it's no skin off their nose. Which just makes a complete mockery of the whole FFP rules.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bearing in mind this is the first time FFP sanctions have been imposed I would say that they are making a point. If Man City want to buy someone for £50m then they have to sell first. As for the fine, bearing in mind they estimate Man Utd have lost £30m from not being in the Champions League, it is a significant amount. Yes the owners can pay the fine but they still have to get the losses within FFP guidelines otherwise punishments next year could be even more severe. FFP isn't going to solve problems overnight but it is a step in the right direction. Just hope that UEFA and, for that matter, the FL follow it through.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Does the £17 million they have to actually pay, (£32 million suspended) come off the £49 million they are 'allowed' to 'lose' in the coming season....?

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
City can lose that sort of money down the side of their couch and not even bother looking for it.

#pray4city

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here