Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How would our League One winning side have fared in this season's Championship?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
................Ankergren..................
Calderon...Greer...Elphick...Painter
Bennett....Bridcutt..Dicker..Noone
..............Murray..Barnes............

Notwithstanding, some tricky moments for Marcos Painter, and Casper's unconvincing recent experiences, I reckon they could have been pushing automatic promotion.

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
We'd have scored more
We'd have let in more

Thereafter it's difficult to gauge really

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Notwithstanding, some tricky moments for Marcos Painter, and Casper's unconvincing recent experiences, I reckon they could have been pushing automatic promotion.

What we wouldn't have given for that midfield vs. Derby (maybe not Dicker though).

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Mid table. Murray was out for half the year. Paints, no. Elphick, no. Casper, no. Dicker, no.

There's some names on there that may well be available to transfer in the summer.
Wasn't Crofty playing in our league one winning side?

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Defense would have been markedly poorer...a lot of 3-2 and 2-3 scores

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Not that well in my opinion, that team is missing a player we've been missing for years. A central midfielder who can pick the ball up from the defence and turn it into attack. Dicker wasn't good enough for the Championship and Bridcutt is very defensively minded. Plus Noone would receive no support from Painter on the left.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Bennett Murray Noone Barnes and Bridcutt would all have improved the team that started against derby.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Three of the back five very suspect so we'd leak a lot more goals.

However the middle four isn't bad. Dicker wasn't a terrible player, we just upgraded on him, but were he surrounded by Bridders, Nooney and Bennett all you'd really be looking for him to do would be keep tidy on the ball, and to be fair, he was ok at that. Bridders would do all the defensive work and the two wingers would go attack mental.

Funny to think that four of those players were Premier League last season. Only two of those will still be there next season (assuming Palace don't sell Murray. I can't see Sunderland getting rid of Bridders) though they'll be joined by Barnes now.

There's something to look forward to next season anyway. We might get to see Elliott Bennett grace the Amex pitch

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!

You can see why we won the league that year. Pretty good team...

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Ankergren, Painter and Dicker wouldn't have been up to it. We would have had some front three with Wood off the bench as well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For those, including me, who think that team would have had some significant attributes over what we've had very recently (Barnes, Bennett, Calderon, Murray and Barnes, were excellent, as well as Bridcutt who was class in his role), that's a telling indictment of 3 years of far greater money spent in the Championship seasons (ours & TB's), on player wages and transfer fees.

In the Championship era, Poyet and Burke (with OG latterly picking up the mess), never really cracked the offensive side of play, scoring and acquiring the right players required, despite a revolving door of players including loanees in and out, and some chunky transfers fees paid eg CMS, Ulloa, Buckley.

I know quite a few Amex s/t holders who didn't go to Withdean, who were scathing of Poyet's defensive play and pointless passing about the defence. They never saw his League One team which passed about the back, but were devastating going forward game after game. I have great memories of Calderon, Murray and co reaping havoc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here