Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lou Vincent match fixing allegations whilst at Sussex CCC

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
It was disappointing to read in the Daily Mail about Lou Vincent who alleges that he was paid to 'throw' matches whilst at Sussex, Lancs and in India. An (unnamed) England test player was also approached at the same time. I do hope this isn't factually correct but I suspect it might be the tip of a rather unpleasant iceberg.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
A mistake by the cricket authorities, surely.

Any dramatic collapse or catastrophic defeat by Sussex against the might of Great Sides like Lancashire and Surrey is only to be expected and is merely a sign of a county knowing & respecting its true position in life.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What self-respecting Far Eastern cricket betting enthusiast would ever bet on a Sussex match? At any given stage we are liable to be skittled out for double figures whatever the format.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
From a previous non-specific thread...

In other cricket news Lou Vincent is being investigated by the International Cricket Council Anti-Corruption and Security Unit (ACSU), over allegations of match-fixing in Twenty20 competitions in India.
He is also being questioned over allegations he fixed a one day game between Sussex and Kent.
This was a CB40 match at Hove in August 2011 where he played for Sussex in a 14 run defeat by Kent.
The match was televised live in India and is believed to attracted unusually high interest on online betting sites with one reporting turnover of £14 million.

Blimey.

Here is the game in question...

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2011/engine/match/492346.html

...was caught behind off Stevens and in the next over Van Jaarsveld, anxious to atone, ran out Lou Vincent.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
... one who is no longer playing county cricket.

That just leaves Parnell or Naved in the frame.

Neither of whom's bowling or batting figures look like they were trying to lose the game

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm no great expert on cricket, but wouldn't a single player have a limited amount of scope for being able to throw a match? I can understand that in football a goalkeeper by failing to make save could directly influence the outcome of a game, but I'd have thought a cricketer not so much.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I'm no great expert on cricket, but wouldn't a single player have a limited amount of scope for being able to throw a match? I can understand that in football a goalkeeper by failing to make save could directly influence the outcome of a game, but I'd have thought a cricketer not so much.

You would probably need another player to help you but it would be easier in a 20/20. A few loose overs or a batsmen playing a very safe and low scoring innings. Add in a few misfields and you could make a difference of 10-20 runs which is the difference between most teams. You would of course essentially be a batsment (or possibly) two down in this case

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I didn't realise that Vincent was so in the thick of things. I thought he was just blowing the whistle on approaches that had been made to him and his knowledge of others who were involved. I hope this really blows up very fast and we can find out everyone who has been involved and kick them out of the game and clean it up.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013

It's more spot fixing than match fixing. Agree to lose your wicket in a certain over, bowl a no ball at a certain point.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
Still playing County Cricket, albeit badly.

Not only that - he split his finger fielding that day, so couldn't bat properly. This doesn't stack up with the story that the player knew the match was fixed.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Its frustrating thinking you were at those games and that you wanted the team to win but that there were players out there who thought otherwise. Just a real real shame. The truth is with the names being banded around about who else might have been involved or even just looking at the team sheets from those games, I don't want to believe any of them were involved but obviously some were :(

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Is he, who for? Completely passed me by that one! He must be about 70 now...

Some Div2 team, Glamorgan possibly.

He's not making many runs and still getting fines for abusing umpires so much like his last two years with us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here