Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is John Motson a good football commentator?

Well?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Is he still commentating for the Beeb? He must be reaching doddery stage.

Never a fan, personally. A bit too stats/trivia obsessed and his chuckling at his own jokes grated. Always preferred Barry Davies, for all his pomposity.

questier

Apr 16, 2006
Cambridgeshire/Liverpool
He used to be good, but I think his commentary over the last few seasons has been pretty dire. I remember in one particular airing of Match of the Day, in the lead up to a goal he didn't say anything, but then blurted out "TURNED ON" as they scored. Almost Alan Partridge-esque

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Oh FFS! ALready someone has voted for 'yes'. The guy is positivley senile. He chuckles under his breath at nothing. Fails to pronounce any names right, and hedges his bets on EVERY call "Oh, might there have been a touch on the defender's hand there, Mark?" (when said defender has PUNCHED the ball 30 yards.

My EXPERIMENT concocted with [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION] has failed already.

We were trying to answer the question, "Can NSC reach a concensus on ANYTHING?'

The answer is definitively NO.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
He sounds like he's having a heart attack any time there's a shot on goal.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Oh FFS! ALready someone has voted for 'yes'. The guy is positivley senile. He chuckles under his breath at nothing. Fails to pronounce any names right, and hedges his bets on EVERY call "Oh, might there have been a touch on the defender's hand there, Mark?" (when said defender has PUNCHED the ball 30 yards.

My EXPERIMENT concocted with [MENTION=17261]Iggle Piggle[/MENTION] has failed already.

Hmmm. If you want to try to get a consensus, how about:

1) Does anyone secretly harbour a wish to be a Palace fan?
2) Does anyone like Man U?
3) (Riskier) Now that OG has left, would anyone prefer him to be our manager than any of the prospective candidates?
4) Does anyone like Billy Davies?
5) If you Could have Peter Ward back now on a free, at the peak of his powers, would you have him?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Was this really the best question you could come up with?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Utter toilet.

He pushed me over the edge during Japan 2002 when we were playing Brazil. The way he got excited every time Brazil touched the ball was cringeworthy. I wonder if he's even watching the game sometimes, all he does is shout random shit through his nose and hope nobody notices because he's good old motty.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hmmm. If you want to try to get a consensus, how about:

1) Does anyone secretly harbour a wish to be a Palace fan?
2) Does anyone like Man U?
3) (Riskier) Now that OG has left, would anyone prefer him to be our manager than any of the prospective candidates?
4) Does anyone like Billy Davies?
5) If you Could have Peter Ward back now on a free, at the peak of his powers, would you have him?

1. Palace fans would obviously vote yes.
2. Plenty of Man U apologists on NSC
3. Plenty of Oscar fans, and plenty more pro-Knight / anti-Bloom who will welcome any stick to beat the current board with.
4. His Mum?
5. Palace fans

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
He loves football, gets excited and makes you feel you are watching an exciting game even if it is boring..............could do a job here?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Was this really the best question you could come up with?

Yes, boss.

(It was an extension of another thread on this particular subject, tbf..)

Alan Green was the other candidate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here