Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Official Site] JFC: CALL-UP LIFTED MY SPIRITS

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey says a call-up to the England under-21 squad has lifted his spirits following a disappointing end to the campaign.

The 20-year-old has been included in Gareth Southgate’s squad for a European Championship qualifier against Wales next week, likewise the Toulon Tournament which follows, and says his selection has been the perfect tonic following Albion’s play-off semi-final defeat to Derby County.“We are all disappointed at the way the season ended, but from a personal point of view, the call-up has been a nice boost,” he told www.seagulls.co.uk. “I have been pleased with the progress I’ve made in the first team this season, playing a lot of games in the Championship, and so I’d like to think this is a reward for that.

“I was called into the initial 35-man England squad for the under-20 World Cup squad last year, but didn’t make the cut, so now I’ve made the under-21 squad hopefully I can go on and gain some game time. Wherever you pull on an England shirt it’s a real honour, no matter what the level.”Forster-Caskey, who has played for his country and U16, U17 and U18 levels, was a regular for the Three Lions at the under-17 World Cup in Mexico in 2011, so already has tournament experience, which he says will stand him in good stead for Toulon – where England face the likes of Brazil and Colombia.
“You’re in with a group of players for a relatively long period of time, so I know what to expect,” he adds. “Saying that, you spend plenty of time with your club side in hotels so it’s not that unusual – it’s when you get out on the pitch and play these continental sides, that you find yourself on a learning curve.
“I found that in Mexico and again we’ll be coming up against sides that play a much different game than what we are used to back home, so it can only help improve me as a player.”
*A familiar face in the squad will be Albion team-mate Solly March and Forster-Caskey says his inclusion is well deserved.
“Solly has made great strides this season and it’s good to see him recognised in this way,” he adds. “He has made an impression whenever he has played for the first team and I’m sure he’ll also benefit from the experience of being away with England.
“I know a few of the lads anyway from being with England and playing against them, but I’m sure we’ll both keep each other company – and Jesse Lingard is involved for the Wales game too.
“The aim now for both Solly and I is to try and make an impression in training and in the games if we get an opportunity. To play for England at under-21 level would be a great achievement for both of us.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here