Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Signings or New Manager, which comes first?

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
A lot of speculation on new players being brought to the club and media linking players to the club. Does this mean that the new manager will have his squad selected for him or will he have an input of whatever magnitude. Our preseason is not far away.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I thought I read on here that the club weren't going to sign players until they had a new manager in. Of course, they've already announced they have decided which players to keep or not, there seems to be the suggestion from Bozza that Nzuzi has signed but the club are just holding off announcing him. Seems a bit contradictory, really, which isn't going to stop fans from continuing to question the club's player recruitment policy.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I thought I read on here that the club weren't going to sign players until they had a new manager in. Of course, they've already announced they have decided which players to keep or not, there seems to be the suggestion from Bozza that Nzuzi has signed but the club are just holding off announcing him. Seems a bit contradictory, really, which isn't going to stop fans from continuing to question the club's player recruitment policy.

I've no idea, but isn't it just a case of waiting for the transfer window to open before we can complete the signing of Nzuzi ???

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
What we have to remember is that the footballing philosophy of the club is set by the club, not the manager and we will only be appointing a manager that fits that philosophy. So if whilst we are managerless, David Burke finds a player available that will fit that philosophy, someone who may well have been on the club's radar for some time, I would imagine they will proceed. TB did say we may wait and we have plenty of time, but I would guess that this means that we will not be waiting weeks for an appointment unlike last summer.

The new manager is going to inherit a squad anyway and we are not in the position to dramatically change personnel on the whim of the manager.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
What we have to remember is that the footballing philosophy of the club is set by the club, not the manager and we will only be appointing a manager that fits that philosophy. So if whilst we are managerless, David Burke finds a player available that will fit that philosophy, someone who may well have been on the club's radar for some time, I would imagine they will proceed. TB did say we may wait and we have plenty of time, but I would guess that this means that we will not be waiting weeks for an appointment unlike last summer.

The new manager is going to inherit a squad anyway and we are not in the position to dramatically change personnel on the whim of the manager.

The trouble is, I don't think that's the right approach and it's ultimately doomed to failure

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
A lot of speculation on new players being brought to the club and media linking players to the club. Does this mean that the new manager will have his squad selected for him or will he have an input of whatever magnitude. Our preseason is not far away.

Not sure there has to be an order!

Clubs are changing managers all the time and still having to carry on with the normal business of being a football club. Not sure that we should be any different.

There will be some players that we have spoken to it the past who we are interested in, who are interested in us and for whom plans were already in place. I don't see them being here when he arrives as any different to a new manager inheriting existing players.

There will be others who flash up on the radar suddenly and we need to act quickly on or we'll miss out.

And, after the manager is in, there may still be a window of opportunity for more late activity.

All of these things will and should happen because we MUST be ready for next season and have only lost one [important] person in the whole organisation. Things still need to be done.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
TB did say we may wait and we have plenty of time, but I would guess that this means that we will not be waiting weeks for an appointment unlike last summer.

We didn't wait weeks for an appointment. We waited four weeks for an investigation to be completed, then a week for gus and his team to read through the findings before they all met up to reach their decisions. He was fired on a Sunday night and we had Oscar in by the Wednesday.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Deals will be done all over the place before the official window opens on July 1st. That's what Burke and the club will be doing now - preliminary pre-contractual discussions.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We didn't wait weeks for an appointment. We waited four weeks for an investigation to be completed, then a week for gus and his team to read through the findings before they all met up to reach their decisions. He was fired on a Sunday night and we had Oscar in by the Wednesday.

Oh alright then. We had no manager/head coach for weeks as they were suspended.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
In any event, it would not be unreasonable for discussions to start with Stephen Ward's agent and Wolves over a possible transfer to see if we are within the same ball park, subject to confirmation by the new manager when the window opens on 1 June.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I wanted to roll this thread as we have had much speculation on the departure of Oscar and him being here. Many offered him time as it was not his squad and his players that he was working with and others were annoyed that Burke and Barber had such an input into the squad selection. Business being done before the new manager/head coach arrives indicates that the new manager will have to, by definition, work with players selected by others, leading to wiggle room for the new man. But if players are being courted now then the new man will have to be of a certain mentality to take the job on, unless he is just desperate for the job. Many of the names being touted would not accept the players being chosen for them, which would lead to a great thinning of the candidates imo.Can't see us recruiting a big name if this is the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here