Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mark Lawrenson - the truth will out...

Clapham Old Mug

Aug 6, 2004
Clapham
"There has long been a feeling that he decided enough was enough when he saw how Mark Lawrenson was sidelined, the BBC deciding that the former Brighton defender’s mixture of lounge-lizard shirts and golf-club gags didn’t really constitute detailed analysis of football, removing him from a front-line position on the station’s flagship show."
from Rory Smith's article about Alan Hansen's departure from MoTD in today's Times

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The bore was paid silly money for an easy gig. I'm ashamed that I contributed to his pension. I didn't have much of a choice though. Why have regular pundits anyway? There are surely some knowledgeable and entertaining ex-players out there without having to tie yourself down to a team.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The bore was paid silly money for an easy gig. I'm ashamed that I contributed to his pension. I didn't have much of a choice though. Why have regular pundits anyway? There are surely some knowledgeable and entertaining ex-players out there without having to tie yourself down to a team.

Agreed, and the MOTD team is pretty poor on the whole. Most of them just regurgitate the same dross each week.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
??? did the author not hear the announcment last year how the line up was going to change, less Hansen, alot less Lawro and alot of new people?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
MOTD these days is like the Anfield Old Boys Association annual gathering at the 19th hole of Royal Lytham.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

This is an excellent idea.

Pat Nevin
Graeme Le saux
Richard Langley

There's 3 guy's whose punidtry would be massively superior to Shearer and Owen.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Rarely watch MOTD now. Sunday mornings consist of catching up with the Football League show, then Goals on Sunday on Sky.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Why do pundits even have to be ex-players?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Bring back Saint and Greavsie followed by a dose of Dicky Davis then when back from the footie I can eat my crumpets whilst watching Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks frolicking around in Leotards.

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Why do pundits even have to be ex-players?

True. They could have the likes of me on about £700 a week staring anxiously into camera hoping they don't ask me any questions and just in agreement with whomsoever is sat next to me, unless it's Savage, who is a spongoid to almost everyone, and every now and again waving to my mum if i know she's in her favourite big green chair and watching one of her top 3 sons at work, doing what he does, not very well but bringing in the bucks enough to fund her gum-diseasing Tizer habit and to buy that machine that makes sausages of so many ruddy varieties right down to peacock.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
"The truth will out" I thought this was going to be about Lawrenson finally being forced to admit that he was once a Brighton player and that he hasn't usually got a clue about what division we play in, or that football even exists outside of the top five teams in the Premiership.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
"The truth will out" I thought this was going to be about Lawrenson finally being forced to admit that he was once a Brighton player and that he hasn't usually got a clue about what division we play in, or that football even exists outside of the top five teams in the Premiership.

I've always thought him quite camp and that he had finally 'Come out'

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
MOTD these days is like the Anfield Old Boys Association annual gathering at the 19th hole of Royal Lytham.

Shearer, Lineker, Mills - no Anfield connections, but as boring as 'Lawro'. Mills in particular has annoying muscled himself into Radio5@live commentaries, FA commissions and MOTD, just because he's deemed like Clarke Carlisle in being incredibly intelligent due to the ability to string sentences together.

MOTD finds it impossible to live in the company of the Sky analysis of Neville and Carragher, but is still useful for tuning into highlights of all the PL game in just 90 minutes. The analysis between games is lazy, predictable, non-controversial and rushed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here