Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Has Hodgson picked the right team?

DNB_Seagull

Dirty Northerner. For now
Apr 27, 2014
I'll answer after the world cup. But my answer will be a) No, shit team. Shit result. Roy out. b) Yes, genius! We did great/ won the WC!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No matter ho we do I'm glad that the youngsters have been given a chance. About time the old guard were cleared out.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Has to be one of the worst set of defenders England has ever taken to a world cup.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I personally wouldn't have bothered taking Lampard, but essentially it seems to me that he's picked the only squad he really could have done.

We just don't have the quality strength in depth available to us that other countries have, so we're always going to have a far more limited pool to pick these things from.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Lampard instead of Carrick or Barry is kind of lame - but hey-ho, we might goto penalties so Lamps could come on.

Squad seems young and good - if Wiltshire shines and the team is built around him, we might suprise a few.

I don't really care much tho..........at the moment.

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
Yeah I actually think its a great squad considering the players we have available. The defenders do look poor and Lampard is way past his best, but the alternatives are probably worse.

We need to build the team around Gerrard in midfield, supplemented by young exciting players like Henderson, Sterling, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley, Sturridge and hopefully a fit and firing Rooney. Emphasis should be on pace and flair, and lets see what these guys can do on the biggest stage.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
WC is also the initials of Water Closet, ie Toilet.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
I've just noticed that Franco di Santo (ex Wigan) has got into the Argentina team over Tevez!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
It's all a bit academic IMHO. The 36c + heat and 95% humidity will do for them, certainly in Manaus!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The article is riddled with errors and mistakes so it's not the best read.

Still, I understand the point they're trying to make. And I don't really agree with it. One of the Guardian journalists this week was making a point that when it comes to tournaments you want your best and most experienced players no matter what. Regardless of the fact that they may no longer be at their peak and certainly won't be appearing at the next World Cup, you should still go with this old guard as it's that tournament experience that gives you the best chance and that's what counts in a knockout competition.

However I disagree with this view. How else do the young players get tournament experience if we don't blood them whilst they're young? Given that the pressure is off, our pool of talent is limited and expectations are at an all time low, let's chuck in the youngsters and give it a go knowing that next time round most of the same players will still be about, with World Cup experience behind them, still having youth on their side.

I read somewhere that this is one of the youngest squads so far announced to be heading to Brazil, and is England's 2nd youngest World Cup squad EVER.

Well good for Roy. It's not as if it's a complete bunch of kids. Lampard and Gerrard both have over a ton of caps each.

He was never going to recall Terry, no matter how well he played. And I appreciate the defence is as weak as it has been in many a year, but that isn't Hodgson's fault. So let's just go out Liverpool style. Their defence was pretty shithouse this season but they still finished runners up and entertained everyone with bagloads of goals. OK so we don't have Luis Suarez to call upon but let's just pretend that Rooney really is word class and you never know, he and Sturridge could strike up a nice little understanding. There's creativity in the middle and the steady old head of captain Gerrard to try and shelter that weak back line.

We're going to ship quite a few goals I fear. So let's just make sure we score a hatful too. I want young hungry players with no fear to just ****ing GO FOR IT. Don't limp out in the first round with a solitary goal against Costa Rica. Just go full on batshit mental crazy attack attack attack. We've not done that for years and it's the last thing everyone will expect of boring old England. Even if we go out in the round of sixteen, so long as we've got double figures in terms of goals scored I'll be at the airport when they fly back to cheer the ruddy lot of them.

I want to enjoy watching England again. I really do

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not read, but the question, probably yes. there's low expectation so i think Hodgson has taken a lot of young players with an eye to the future. its regulars (except those who've been injured) and for the most part players that have some pace, with tactical heads on. He'll be able to get them playing a good balance of defensive/pressing switching to swift counter-attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here