Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bell Cheeses at work

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I have found that, the further up the greasy pole you are the higher the proportion of total ends there is. You'd think that senior managers would be professional and focused individuals. They're rarely either. Paranoia, abuses of power, lying and greed prevail.

I ran a highly visible project for some years which reported to the MDs of two partner businesses. Both of them were more interested in shafting the other and both were proper sociopaths beneath their veneer.

Both of them were drilling their staff to lie about progress on their element of the work and waiting for the other to fail first so they could pass the buck. You learnt to play them both off against each other all the time to get stuff funded and actioned. Both of them are still at large stifling ny passion and determination in their teams. I walked out in the end. I was losing my soul.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I am going to throw a curve ball into this discussion. There seems to be a huge number of people on this thread and in general that believe their boss is a ****.

I have worked under 15 different bosses in my life and always got on with them, in fact I have made sure that I understand them and get on the right side of them. My current boss (headteacher at a school) is terrifying and you would not mess but I totally understand why she is like that, I respect her, she needs to be like that to be an effective headteacher.

So, my theory is that lots of people just can't stand authority- I have noticed how some people hate all teachers, all stewards, all coppers, all managers. Is the problem actually themselves, that they just cannot handle being told what to do by someone else?

*ducksforcover*

Last edited:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I am going to throw a curve ball into this discussion. There seems to be a huge number of people on this thread and in general that believe their boss is a ****.

I have worked under 15 different bosses in my life and always got on with them, in fact I have made sure that I understand them and get on the right side of them. My current boss (headteacher at a school) is terrifying and you would not mess but I totally understand why she is like that, I respect her, she needs to be like that to be an effective headteacher.

So, my theory is that lots of people just can't stand authority- I have noticed how some people hate all teachers, all stewards, all managers. Is the problem actually themselves, that they just cannot handle being told what to do by someone else?

*ducksforcover*

Clearly you have never worked in big pharma.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
We have a lady in our office who is lovely, but she has said every day since 2002:

"is it hot in here or is it me?"

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Clearly you have never worked in big pharma.

I have worked at bars, clubs, offices, colleges and schools. I understand that in any walk of life there is the odd **** but I am talking about those blokes that kick off at a steward because they kindly asked them to move down the steps a bit, you know the type - they hated all their teachers, they think every copper in the world is a *******.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I have worked at bars, clubs, offices, colleges and schools. I understand that in any walk of life there is the odd **** but I am talking about those blokes that kick off at a steward because they kindly asked them to move down the steps a bit, you know the type - they hated all their teachers, they think every copper in the world is a *******.

Interesting, I do think that organisational culture varies from place to place. I work in Education too, and generally have found it to be OK. Having said that, my previous role was in the University sector and found the institutional culture was for nobody to do anything and for everybody to try and pass the buck. I didn't realise how much I disliked it until I left the HE sector!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So, to today:

By 10.19am I'd already ticked off:

Singing to herself
Humming to herself
Sucking air between her teeth
Asking herself questions under her breath
Forced laughter at something completely unfunny the boss said

(She starts work at 10.00 btw)

:down:

I know exactly how that feels. I bet you could HEAR her coming before you caught sight of her.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Interesting, I do think that organisational culture varies from place to place. I work in Education too, and generally have found it to be OK. Having said that, my previous role was in the University sector and found the institutional culture was for nobody to do anything and for everybody to try and pass the buck. I didn't realise how much I disliked it until I left the HE sector!

Ha, that is what makes me laugh in education. There are many that never meet deadlines, cut and paste reports, turn up late to teach their lessons and THEN have a moan when their manager gives them a grilling. That is what frustrates me, of course your boss is going to give you a ticking off if you consistently mack them off. Never worked in HE though so will take your word on that one.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I work from home but can I join in by saying that the wife gets on my tits!

she will insist in talking to the neighbours in French!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

So, my theory is that lots of people just can't stand authority- I have noticed how some people hate all teachers, all stewards, all coppers, all managers. Is the problem actually themselves, that they just cannot handle being told what to do by someone else?

*ducksforcover*

There's definately an element of that in society, not for me I don't think though. My main problem is if I have a boss that doesn't care, it totally drives me up the wall. I've got on with more than I've not got on with but could probably only think of 2 out of 15 or so that actually made me better.

The best boss I've had was the actually biggest nightmare but my word she had passion and drive. The type of person that made other people better just by virtue of her comittment.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I'm not making this up.

A random bloke has sat opposite me today in a hot desk area. His ring tone for his mobile phone is the one which is constantly going in 24 (Der der, der derrrrrrrr) and just a minute ago he answered the phone 'Hello CTU' (add an N and re-arrange the letters mate)

We work in IT. He is fat old and bald. He is about as far removed from Jack Bauer as it can possible be.

Anyone else got any complete plums in thier vacinity?

Complete Plums ? ...... I did once rescue a Damson in a Dress ! Does that count ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Was I the only one to think this was about someone's packed lunch? ???

Babybel.jpg

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
So, to today:

By 10.19am I'd already ticked off:

Singing to herself
Humming to herself
Sucking air between her teeth
Asking herself questions under her breath
Forced laughter at something completely unfunny the boss said

(She starts work at 10.00 btw)

:down:

You have my deepest sympathy. I have never worked in an office but often worked with people who just cannot face the prospect of silence. There must be constant noise. How can people give that much of a monkeys about what people think of them? Because that's surely the reason for such behaviour? Baffling.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Too many whistlers in my work place. Today a battery alarm was going off (it makes an annoying high pitched 'tune', and couldn't be silenced until an engineer fixed it. Someone continually whistled the tune of the alarm, as well as the alarm noise itself.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I work from home but can I join in by saying that the wife gets on my tits!

she will insist in talking to the neighbours in French!

If they're French or you live in France this s acceptable. If they aren't and you don't. It's tres peculiare.

I hope for your sake they understand French at least.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I use to quite like working in an office - now WFH.

I used to work in an office for over 25 years and enjoyed it although the First one was just 12 of us and the second was just my own and enjoyed it but now having changed to a world away from office work I don't know how I put up with it for so long.

You all have my admiration for doing it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here