Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS interview on teamtalk

dibsy

Jul 26, 2004
Shoreham By Sea
Apologies if already posted

http://www.teamtalk.com/brighton-and-hove-albion/9311893/-

Craig Mackail-Smith has given his verdict on Brighton's play-off defeat, the departure of Oscar Garcia and his plans for the off-season.

Craig Mackail-Smith has been blogging all season, alongside Preston frontman Kevin Davies and recently-departed Plymouth Argyle defender Guy Branston, as part of our focus on the Sky Bet Football League.

This week we caught up with the 30-year-old to reflect on his side's disappointing play-off semi-final exit to Derby and the departure of their boss Oscar Garcia.

After a 2-1 defeat at home in the first leg, Albion lost 4-1 at Derby on Sunday and saw their Premier League ambitions thwarted. The following day boss Garcia ended his 11-month stay on the South Coast.

Mackail Smith wrote: "We didn't do ourselves justice in the away game at Derby on Sunday. It was a disappointing finish to the campaign.

"I'd like Derby to come out on top in the final, just because of the way they play football, plus they've given all these young lads a chance in their team. They play the game in the right way.

"I'm not saying QPR don't, but Derby were incredibly attacking against us and quick off the break, just outstanding.

"It's going to be tough though; QPR have got a lot of experience and players who have played at the highest level who know how to deal with pressure and that could count massively on the day.

New boss

"It was the day after we found out our boss had left the club. Oscar Garcia did a great job here and got us up in to the play-offs.

"He must have had these thoughts for a while. It's a shame because we'd been on a high but he's had his reasons and will come out and explain what's going on and we have to move on, again.

"Oscar has shown what he's capable of this season; we've had a lot of injuries and haven't been at full strength. I don't think he had the chance to strengthen much in January but he still got us to the play-offs, which not many people expected.

"He's done a good job and if a Premier League role comes up for him then I think he'll do a good job, wherever he goes.

Different scenario

"It could be anyone who replaces him. Brighton's a fantastic club and one that's on the up with unbelievable facilities and a new training ground this summer. The new manager will have great facilities at his disposal.

"There will be a lot of top managers, as well as a lot of young, up-and-coming ones going for the job and it's now down to the chairman and the chief executive to decide who the right man is.

"Us players will probably find out after the press; we'll just turn up to training one day and the new manager will be there!

"It's going to be interesting for the team. It's a different scenario from when Gus Poyet left last summer, there was a lot speculation going around about him moving on at that time.

"This time the gaffer is leaving a bit earlier in the summer and it gives the club a bit longer to get another person in before the important pre-season starts.

"That's when you all get together and go away somewhere to bond and get that team ethos together. You also need to buy into how the gaffer wants to play; that's massively important.

"Oscar did fantastically well last year because he came in very, very late - a couple of weeks into pre-season - he had a lot to do with multiple injured players, and very quickly as well.

"It's a massively important time and hopefully the club will have the new manager sorted sooner, rather than later.

Holidays

"Of course we're all on our holidays now. I think we are meant to be back in training on June 23 but now all the players are saying we'll come in about the first week in July - see you then!

"With no manager we've got no idea what is going on. We'll get an email from the doctors telling us when we need to get on our programme for the summer and what they want us to do, what body fat and weight they expect us to come back at but until a manger comes in it could all change.

"It's going to be another interesting summer but that's the excitement of football.

I must admit, I am in holiday mode - I've had a KFC today! I wouldn't normally eat food like that but it's been a long journey, I've been injured, I've played games and I thought I'd treat myself to some fried chicken.

"That's about as much as I'll enjoy myself over the summer though. I'm going to take it easy, relax, go on holiday somewhere in the sun and then it's back to work for me. I've missed so much football I want to make sure I hit the ground running.

"With a new manager every position will be up for grabs again and I want to make sure I'm strong and one of the first on the team sheet."

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
Nice bloke. Hope to have him firing on all cylinders next season and seeing regular time up top again. Maybe this could be his year....

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"It was the day after we found out our boss had left the club."

Does this conflict with reports that he told them after the game?

I think TB said Oscar told the players he "probably wouldn't/might not be in charge next season". Actual confirmation came a day later, I guess?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
"It was the day after we found out our boss had left the club."

Does this conflict with reports that he told them after the game?

It wouldn't have made any sense for Oscar to have told them before the game just on the basis we may have won. We shouldn't forget that we put on a great performance in the first leg and there was a lot of hope for the second leg.

For someone who kept everything close to his chest it would be hard to imagine that he cracked from his usual tight lipped self just before the game.

Bloom, Barber and Burke would have known, and it would have been highly likey that Ruben Martinez and Juan Torrijo would have known. If the players did find out it wouldn't have been directly from Oscar. This is my thinking on this anyway :shrug:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I really like the guy but the photo makes him look like he's playing for a "special" football team!

football-craig-mackail-smith_3113245.jpg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I read somewhere he told them before the game :nono: which may account somewhat for the poor performance

Yeah, that's likely.

NOT

He told them after the game, as per a player who was and is still with the club :smile:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Jesus wept! He thinks a KFC is a treat!?

Forbidden Fruit. if you are not supposed to have something, it makes it all the more attractive, however naff it might be.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Forbidden Fruit. if you are not supposed to have something, it makes it all the more attractive, however naff it might be.

Yeah, but there must be loads of other forbidden fruit that are higher up the list than a KFC?

He waits all that time to have something really bad and he goes for a KFC?

I think we should sell him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I really hope whoever gets the job sees the huge potential of a CMS/Ulloa front pairing.

Played properly it could rip the championship apart.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here