Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B, b, b & o

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
First off I want to state that I was there man, there in the bad days - born in the spring of 81 choosing the blue team during the FA cup final 82/83 and sticking with them for 30 years +. I was at the Goldstone during the last season, I was at Doncaster away under Case… I’ve seen it all: the ups the downs, Gary (bloody) Hobson and the rest.

I can’t understand nor comprehend the minority of idiots claiming something is “seriously wrong” at the club or “inside” the apple man. The fruit is ripe and, to me at least, tastes better than ever.

For what it’s worth here’s my take on the last week or so…

Oscar: Nice guy, totally the polar opposite of Gus, hands off, day off, and latterly detached and (then) pissed off. I feel the board lost confidence in Oscar during January and decided (prudently) not to chuck x amount at his targets. A risky strategy indeed, but post the interview from Bloom, I would suggest the powers that be rolled the dice and waited to see how Oscar reacted to January. If he stayed - ok let’s sit down and get it right next year, if he walked well “sometimes things don’t work out…” I especially love the comment from Mr Bloom re Oscar “… He certainly liked watching DVDs” I’ve got this image of Oscar slumped on a sofa watching re-runs of himself during his glory days with Barca, with a single tear running down his cheek.

FFP: no excuses for Oscar here, he knew and fully understood the situation when he took the job and had previously worked under a “recruitment” team in Israel. FFP sigh, the club are doing the right thing – after all I want a club to support in ten years, simple for me.

Bloom et al: No problem from me, it’s clear they want to make the club profitable and why not?!? If it was my business that’s the minimum I’d expect. The climate is changing in football and for once I’m confident the Albion will be at the forefront on getting it right (for once) in terms of creating a sustainable and secure future.

The new boss: this time I feel Bloom will surprise a few people and will (I’m sure) be making the financial picture crystal clear to the new incumbent.

The released players: TS basically, some nice guys some not so, but they all had to go. “That’s football…” I would imagine certain of the released players were on way more than financially viable especially in terms of what should be performance related rewards.

Phew that’s me… bring on next season with a positive, realistic manager, who “understands” the direction the club wish to take in terms of player recruitment and FFP.

Kosh

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I had a discussion with somebody on the train to a match a few weeks ago about the Bridcutt money and said a similar thing, did Bloom decide to keep the money and save it for the summer rather than risk it in a short period of time for a small choice of players. If we got promoted it was a bonus but if not the war chest for Oscar for the summer would be there - but now Oscar has gone its a big selling point for a new manager knowing that this cash is available, with a much longer time frame to spend it.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Largely agree. Except the Cup Final was 1982/83.

If you think back to the January situation, we had no real prospect of finishing in the top 2, so the gamble would have been reckless. We then set out to make the play-offs. We made the play-offs. We came up short in the play-offs. End of. No major trauma. For me it was a successful season. I am sad Oscar has gone, not least because I (unlike many, I know) enjoyed the style of football. Move on.

PG

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Apologies! I stand corrected! whoops... right yeah, I suspect some will totally disagree with this but I get the feeling the "suits" were surprised by Oscar and his apathy, and said let's just see how this pans out... i.e. 50/50 manage him out/hug him and get it right moving forward... Oscar took the plank and the rest is history. We move on... now.

Kosh

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here