Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Mother-in-laws

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
This is really aimed at those who have been with their lady-partners for over 10 years or so.

How true is it that ones misses will turn into something very similar to their mothers? (In looks, traits, mannerisms?)

Because if there is a sprinkle of truth to this, i may need to re-evaluate.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Highly likely, more in actions than in looks though I would say. Prepare yourself now.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I met my missus in 1983 and at the time her mum was 40-something.
30 years later and my missus has turned 50 and I do believe there is some resemblance to her mum of the 80's.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
My grandfather told me when I was about 15 that the best way to judge how your future wife will treat you after 5 years of marriage is to observe how she interacts with her father (sexual relationship aside, I assume he meant, though he didn't specify!). I think that was the single best piece of life advice I've ever received. Not quite an answer to the OP's question, but in a similar vein.

In which case my youngest daughter will make someone a totally brilliant wife at some point in the future :thumbsup:

No doubt the folk of a female persuasion on here will have been told a similar aphorism about their choice of prospective male partner at some point too...

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
My grandfather told me when I was about 15 that the best way to judge how your future wife will treat you after 5 years of marriage is to observe how she interacts with her father (sexual relationship aside, I assume he meant, though he didn't specify!). I think that was the single best piece of life advice I've ever received.

This is without doubt a fantastic piece of advice; and I wish I'd been given it before I settled down with my ex-wife, whose mother was a complete pain in the arse and an irrational bitch to her dad.

Completely off on a tangent: About 12 months after we split, her dad accidently sent me a text that was clearly intended for a female work colleague of his, with whom - judging by the content of the message - he was clearly having an affair. I was genuinely happy for him (despite his daughter being a CJT).

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
My grandfather told me when I was about 15 that the best way to judge how your future wife will treat you after 5 years of marriage is to observe how she interacts with her father (sexual relationship aside, I assume he meant, though he didn't specify!). I think that was the single best piece of life advice I've ever received. Not quite an answer to the OP's question, but in a similar vein.

In which case my youngest daughter will make someone a totally brilliant wife at some point in the future :thumbsup:

No doubt the folk of a female persuasion on here will have been told a similar aphorism about their choice of prospective male partner at some point too...

My ex-Mother-in-Law drove her husband to drink and he died. I didn't hang around long enough for the same to happen to me *hic*.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
The plural of mother in law is mothers in law, not mother in laws. Thought you'd like to know.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I've been with my wife 10 years now. She's 49 in a month.
She's steadily turned from a twenty something looking 38 year old, with a lovely bright spirit, whose mum happened to be overly naggy, pessimistic and interfering, to someone who is halfway to where her mum is.
Exactly the same harmful to marriage personality traits and stubbornness.

My previous long term (7 yrs) girlfriend was going the same way too.

The dad relationship bit holds true to the wife also. She keeps her dad at arms length in a way that makes him unhappy...

It's hell out there ;-)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
There are signs, yes, and that worries me because I never have like the MiL.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
She will turn into her mum. Not exactly but will definitely get more like her.

Fortunately my mother in law still looks ok, does more work than the father in law, likes a bit of role playing and seems prepared to forgive extra-marital affairs. Get in.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
My mother-in-law learly clearly fancies me. She gets all red-faced when I go round there with my girlfriend and starts talking in a raised squeaky voice. Especially when I talk about how I'm going to marry her daughter and spend the rest of my life with her. This seems to upset her greatly and I can only conclude that she wants me to herself. I mean, how else do you explain it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here