Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom interview

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Firstly I would to state that I love Tony bloom & what he has done for our club.

In response to his interview I have a couple of issues.

TB never actually stated the reason why Oscar resigned.
TB never accepted that the club really let Oscar & the team down in January
TB claimed that bridcutt & Barnes really wanted to leave in January claiming that their heads were not right but if the same players were still Brighton players on feb 1st I bet they would have sorted their heads out quickly enough if they wanted to play again this season.

Also why would the manager of the best supported team in a league that we finished 6th want to leave unless he felt things were not quite right.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I think it was alluded to that the reason he left was because he wanted to bring in players that were not available or not in our price range. It's clear that he wanted some Barca players, there are pictures on Nathan Jones' twitter showing him at Barca B matches. I guess he just wasn't confident that he could being in who he wanted this summer.

FFP is new for everyone and I guess he didn't think he could get players to play his style under the current guidelines.

I found the mention of an FFP meeting in 10 days interesting. I wonder if it will be more strict or more relaxed rules coming in

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I think it was alluded to that the reason he left was because he wanted to bring in players that were not available or not in our price range. It's clear that he wanted some Barca players, there are pictures on Nathan Jones' twitter showing him at Barca B matches. I guess he just wasn't confident that he could being in who he wanted this summer.

FFP is new for everyone and I guess he didn't think he could get players to play his style under the current guidelines.

I found the mention of an FFP meeting in 10 days interesting. I wonder if it will be more strict or more relaxed rules coming in

There is the problem.

Until the penalties of not complying with FFP are handed out clubs & more importantly fans do not know where they stand.

What's the point in us complying but teams like forest & QPR not doing so & they just get a fine that defeats the object of what we are trying to do.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
There is the problem.

Until the penalties of not complying with FFP are handed out clubs & more importantly fans do not know where they stand.

What's the point in us complying but teams like forest & QPR not doing so & they just get a fine that defeats the object of what we are trying to do.

That's not an issue with the club though; it's the Football League/UEFA who haven't clarified what the actual consequences are for non-compliance. We as a club can only go by what they've said so far; whether they stick to it can only be crossed if and when it happens.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
We certainly can't compete with the sixty odd million that Cardiff have got.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
That's not an issue with the club though; it's the Football League/UEFA who haven't clarified what the actual consequences are for non-compliance. We as a club can only go by what they've said so far; whether they stick to it can only be crossed if and when it happens.

It's not an issue for the club & from my personal point of view I want us to be self sufficient.
I just want to know who we are competing against one way or another.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
On the contrary I thought Bloom was very open and honest in his assessment and handled it in a dignified manner although he must have felt let down expecting Oscar to have been around for the three year term. Main issue seemed to be that Oscar distanced himself from others in the workplace as much as his public persona gave out.
Communication and misunderstandings for whatever reason seem to niggle both sides, Bloom appears to acknowledge his part as a learning experience but ultimately cut a frustrated figure for me from the interview in that Oscar did not have the patience or understanding to see the job through. The identification of suitable and realistic signings being the main.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Firstly I would to state that I love Tony bloom & what he has done for our club.

In response to his interview I have a couple of issues.

TB never actually stated the reason why Oscar resigned.
TB never accepted that the club really let Oscar & the team down in January
TB claimed that bridcutt & Barnes really wanted to leave in January claiming that their heads were not right but if the same players were still Brighton players on feb 1st I bet they would have sorted their heads out quickly enough if they wanted to play again this season.

Also why would the manager of the best supported team in a league that we finished 6th want to leave unless he felt things were not quite right.

First issue he alluded to a lack of communication, so one would imagine there was a break down. Both sides unhappy with the way things panned out.

Second issue not sure the club let Oscar down it would appear it may well have been the other way round.

Third issue Bridcutt had basically gone on strike, Barnes was refusing to sign a new contract. Poyet had undoubtedly "tapped up" Bridcutt and the offer bearing in mind no other was on the table was so good we accepted it. We also got an offer for Barnes that was too good to turn down for a player who would have walked away in the summer for nothing.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can't see how you seem to think the club let him down. Oscar knew how much he had to spend, it's not TB or the clubs fault if the players he wanted weren't available for the money he had.

Barnes and Bridcutt were no brainers, they want out regardless.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Think you're right. Amongst the morass of comments Oscar made praising players, the one that stood out was when he said that if you want to play football like Barcelona, you need Barcelona-quality players. The implication was both that he wanted some (more), and thought there wasn't (m)any here.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There is the problem.

Why would Forest or QPR(if they fail to go up) be fined, not read anywhere where that would happen? FFP and the penalties have been explained sooooooooooooooo many times on here I'm sure you must be aware of them, if not bloody read them.

What happens next week in regard to the meeting of the League Chairman and FFP is for next week not now. There has not been any changes at present.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

The penalties are very clear and fully documented.... whether they will be applied [in full or at all] is in doubt (and what was going to happen to the fines has been changed).

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The penalties are very clear and fully documented.... whether they will be applied [in full or at all] is in doubt (and what was going to happen to the fines has been changed).

That's pretty much what I was trying to say...but you've said it much more eloquently than I managed!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here