Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

World Cup tickets - advice sought

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I have belatedly decided to take a trip to experience the (hopefully) feast of football that will be Brazil 2014. I have never attended a World Cup before, and it is certainly a more appetising prospect than Russia in 4 years time or Qatar in 2022. I hope to see the England matches against Uruguay in Sao Paulo and Costa Rica in Belo Horizonte, and perhaps one other game.

Having never dealt with FIFA's ticketing policies before, I am wondering how to proceed. As I understand it, FIFA has registered the tickets in the name of the original buyer. How strictly are they likely to enforce ID checks at the stadia? Is it possible that they will prevent people gaining admittance to grounds if they have bought tickets on the black market?

I believe the tickets can be transferred into the name of a "guest"; does FIFA actually re-issue the ticket, or is this done electronically?

I am wondering if I should attempt to secure tickets before I go (and possibly have the original buyer transfer them), or take the chance and look to buy on the black market once I am over there.

Thanks for any advice you have.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I have belatedly decided to take a trip to experience the (hopefully) feast of football that will be Brazil 2014. I have never attended a World Cup before, and it is certainly a more appetising prospect than Russia in 4 years time or Qatar in 2022. I hope to see the England matches against Uruguay in Sao Paulo and Costa Rica in Belo Horizonte, and perhaps one other game.

Having never dealt with FIFA's ticketing policies before, I am wondering how to proceed. As I understand it, FIFA has registered the tickets in the name of the original buyer. How strictly are they likely to enforce ID checks at the stadia? Is it possible that they will prevent people gaining admittance to grounds if they have bought tickets on the black market?

I believe the tickets can be transferred into the name of a "guest"; does FIFA actually re-issue the ticket, or is this done electronically?

I am wondering if I should attempt to secure tickets before I go (and possibly have the original buyer transfer them), or take the chance and look to buy on the black market once I am over there.

Have a $20 note to hand just incase.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

You'll be fine. It'll be like SA was and they'll give jobs to every mush out of the flavellas who aren't going to give a dogs knob that your ticket says Nigerian Football Association or similar.

I wouldn't even think about tickets now unless you can get them officially or very close to face. Again I think it'll be very much like SA in the respect they'll be bucket loads of tickets and no one to sell them to (we had spares for all England games in SA and only made on one (which ironically was the Algeria game in Cape Town), gave two games away and even lost money on the Germany game). I assume Fifa have offered Cat 4 tickets to locals again, if so they'll all be at it. My advice hold your nerve and wait until as late as possible and I reckon you'll be able to get sorted for near enough every game paying less than face. Just be warned re-selling tickets is alien to allot of foreigners and they are likely to laugh at you when you offer anything under face but will come round eventually when they realise kick off is approaching. Just make sure you remind them that $20 for a $150 ticket is better than $0.

If you aren't overly familiar with buying ticket from "unofficial sources" have a look online for Eddie Brimsons video diaries from France 98 (Tear Gas and Tantrums) and Ukraine/Poland (called something along the lines of some people don't get football, I don't get those people). I've got the latter somewhere, PM me and I'll bung it online if you are interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here