Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Eight new Signings Expected

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Squad down to 17 players now.

As we must plan for a 25 man squad, I expect 8 new signings.

What positions and who will they be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C.

Goalkeeper:
Left Back:
Covering Defender:
Defensive Midfielder:
Defensive Midfielder (& playmaker):
Striker:
Attacking Midfielder (left sided):
Central Midfielder:

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Always makes me laugh when people say covering defender/midfielder ect,you sign someone to compete and improve what you have surely?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
GK: Viviviano (how ever you spell his name)
LB: ?
CB: Zat Knight
CM: Toko
CM:?
Winger: Bennett.
Striker: Fryatt

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Squad down to 17 players now.

As we must plan for a 25 man squad, I expect 8 new signings.

What positions and who will they be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_&_Hove_Albion_F.C.

Goalkeeper:
Left Back:
Covering Defender:
Defensive Midfielder:
Defensive Midfielder (& playmaker):
Striker:
Attacking Midfielder (left sided):
Central Midfielder:

Alot of this depends on the new manager and the style of play they want to play. Don't be surprised for Bloom, Burke & Barber to appoint someone who is renowned for playing good attacking football and if we move back to more of a diamond midfield (which quite a few managers are doing to combat the 4-3-3) or even a 4-4-2, then I think that Crofts, Stephens, Ince + 1 other on loan will be sufficient for centre midfield.

1 x first choice keeper
1 x LB (Expect that to be Ward)
2 x CB (One to replace Greer who will be in the last year of his contract and another squad player - prob Dev Squad)
1x CDM (provide cover/competition to Ince)
1x CAM (to provide us with FLAIR!)
2 x Striker (1 as cover and 1 to provide competition)
2 x Wingers (1 left & 1 right as competition)

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Always makes me laugh when people say covering defender/midfielder ect,you sign someone to compete and improve what you have surely?

Simply two of each position = 22 and 3 extra, or positions occupied in different systems

e.g.

4-3-3 Basic shape

Basic positions:

Goalkeeper:
Right back: Bruno
Covering Defender: Greer
Stopper Defender (aerial, man-to man): Upson, Dunk
Left Back:
Defensive midfielder:
Central box-to-box midfielder: Stephens, Ince, Agustien
Attacking midfielder: Crofts (right-sided)
Winger/third striker: Buckley, March
Second striker: Lualua (my choice), Mackail-Smith
First striker: Ulloa

Reserves;

Calderon
Chicksen
Forster-Caskey
Ankergen

Total football says that players can adapt to other positions.

Clint Hill (QPR) could play central defence and left back. I would thought Greer could play an adequate right back. I'd sooner have a spare covering central defender than spare full-backs.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Who's going to come to us when they know they'll be third choice for a team that only plays 1 upfront? Assuming the new manager doesn't change things around.

Fashion is that the second striker comes deep (like Messi), especially against man-to-man defences.

If the opposition plays zonal I think we can push the second striker forward if he runs around a lot. Someone has got to run into the channels and go to the near post.

Last edited:

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
1. Walton
2. Ankergren ?
3. New Goalkeeper

4. Bruno ?
5. Calderon ?

6. Gordon Greer
7. Lewis Dunk
8. Matthew Upson ?
9. New Defender

10. Adam Chicksen
11. New Defender

12. Kemy Agustien
13. Andrew Crofts
14. Dale Stephens
15. Rohan Ince
16. Jake Forster-Caskey
17. New Midfielder

18. Will Buckley
19. Kazenga LuaLua
20. Solly March
21. New Attacking Midfielder

22. Leo Ulloa
23. Craig Mackail-Smith
24. New Striker
25. New Striker

Although you never know if some of those slots will be filled by Dev Squad, Brennan Dickenson, Emil Asmundsson etc If the guys offered deals don't sign up there's a lot of business to be done!! I also wonder if Agustien and LuaLua will be sold.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I would not be surprised if the two players Stephen Ward and Keith Andrews were released because their wages were too high. Matthew Upson was a permanent signing, so this was different for him.

Even if they a re-signed later, the missing months would be a fair wedge.

Stephen Ward's goal at Forest earned us a crust though.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Considering we now only have Ulloa and CMS i'd think we actually need 2 new strikers.
Nah that's more than enough if you only play with one.??????

Oh what's that, :moo: numb nuts has gone!!! We are getting a new manager!! :banana:

We might have a manager who plays a pair of strikers.:clap::clap:

Well sign up another two then, and book one of the top two positions for next season!!:O:O:albion2::albion2:

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I would not be surprised if the two players Stephen Ward and Keith Andrews were released because their wages were too high. Matthew Upson was a permanent signing, so this was different for him.

Neither of them are our players to release. We can try and sign them, but that is something entirely different and separate from the retained list.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who's going to come to us when they know they'll be third choice for a team that only plays 1 upfront? Assuming the new manager doesn't change things around.

We don't even have a manager, let alone what tactics he'll utilise, talk about jumping the gun.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Neither of them are our players to release. We can try and sign them, but that is something entirely different and separate from the retained list.

A good point. I worded it incorrectly. I did not think it out properly. Still means we need eight players!

On footballing merits alone, it might be wise to sign both of them if we can. Stephen Ward has earned a fair wedge with his goal at Forest. And altogether, has been impressive and if the vote was now, I would have given him Player of the Year. His shooting prowess has been somewhat better than some of our ex-forwards.

Before this season, I thought we could get away with a 23 man squad (w/o Hoskins and Macca). Then we could have upped the wages (doubled them) for two really good players in the spine of the team.

As it was we had 23 man squad and we needed loans to cover the shortfall in numbers. This is what I seen loan players for. Emergency signings .

Loans could be notional for permanent signings if to sign them permanently for a fee would muck up FFP ??? And Wolves might want a fee?

Not so sure about Andrews? He is quite a good player, but defensive midfielder is a "spine of the side" position and I would like to think we could sign a star player here. I can't think who offhand!

Joe Cole (West Ham) seems to be looking for a new club!. http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11685/9310722 "At this stage of my career, finances are not important for me. I want to enjoy my football, I want to compete and I just want to play more." More of a forward player though.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here