Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Joke Du Jour

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I went to the cemetery yesterday to lay some flowers on a grave when I saw some grave diggers walking around with a coffin. 3 hours later they were still walking around with it. I thought to myself , these blokes have lost the plot!

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
i DON'T THINK GRAVE DIGGERS CARRY COFFINS, BEARERS OR MOURNERS DO.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
I find that hard to believe in this day and age. They'd have a map, probably an e-map on their smartphones. Please don't lie to us.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
It's always the same - you spot an empty grave, and some bugger nips in before you get there.

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Where to start with this?

As others have observed, grave diggers and pall bearers are highly unlikely to be the same individuals. Irrespective of this, if the coffin contained a person of average weight, they'd find it nigh on impossible to carry it for three hours without a break. Surely they'd have found a discreet spot to lay the coffin down before continuing their search, unencumbered, for the correct plot.

The whole "lost plot" premise strikes me as a little improbable. I'd bet that the large majority of cemeteries maintain scrupulous records of burial locations. This is essential for success in a line of work that, by definition, depends on attention to detail and respect for the feelings of all concerned. Word of such a Chuckle Brothers-esque performance would quickly spread, leaving the funeral directors in severe danger of going out of business. Indeed, I'm surprised that this story hasn't appeared in a heart-rending front page piece in a local newspaper before now.

Finally, you note that you were at a cemetery rather than a graveyard. Would they not then have been interring a small and easily portable urn, not an enormous coffin? Or did this cemetery offer a range of funeral options? It would help a lot if you made that clear.

Otherwise, quite funny. 5/10.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Without wanting to be callous, 3 hours to lay flowers on a grave suggests that you were in a heightened emotional state. With deep sympathy may I respectfully suggest that your judgement may have been slightly impaired.

Once again, my sincere condolences.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think you'll find Union rules are quite clear on this and there must be 4 men per grave-digging team...

I hereby call on all members of the National Union of Grave Diggers and Pall Bearers to join me in picking this joke as being part of management's underhand ploy to show 3 as a "normal and acceptable" number of grave diggers when we know this isn't the case!

Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike! Strike!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There is no mention by the OP that the coffin had a body in so it could just be used so they get the dimensions of the grave correct. Can you imagine their professional embarrassment if the grave wasn't long enough!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here