Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The inside story on the fight to get Cardiff City back to their traditional colours

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Great stuff - stuck to his principles.

Assuming what he says is true, it's pretty awful how so many Cardiff fans rolled over and had their tummies tickled under the enticement of star-struck glory, effectively abandoning (albeit temporarily) their history and culture.

Put it this way - would anyone be happy for Brighton to be blackmailed into wearing red-and-white stripes, and adopt a martlet because of a dubious pile of superstitious twaddle from the chairman?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Great stuff - stuck to his principles.

Assuming what he says is true, it's pretty awful how so many Cardiff fans rolled over and had their tummies tickled under the enticement of star-struck glory, effectively abandoning (albeit temporarily) their history and culture.

Put it this way - would anyone be happy for Brighton to be blackmailed into wearing red-and-white stripes, and adopt a martlet because of a dubious pile of superstitious twaddle from the chairman?

With our fanbase? Most would roll over much as Cardiff did especially the Amex crowd if it brought premier league football with it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With our fanbase? Most would roll over much as Cardiff did especially the Amex crowd if it brought premier league football with it.

That's not so, is it?

One, we have a (proud) recent history of campaigning and fighting for what we believe is our culture and history, and - two, there's plenty of uneasiness / concern about how we perceive ourselves as a Premiership club. Look at the Man City thread.

And yes, I do appreciate this messageboard isn't totally representative of our fanbase.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
That's not so, is it?

One, we have a (proud) recent history of campaigning and fighting for what we believe is our culture and history, and - two, there's plenty of uneasiness / concern about how we perceive ourselves as a Premiership club. Look at the Man City thread.

And yes, I do appreciate this messageboard isn't totally representative of our fanbase.

Oh of course, I'd fight, you'd fight I am sure and others on here. But of the 25000 at the Amex the vast majority wouldn't really be bothered, I'm sure a decent percentage would have a whinge whilst not actually doing anything about it, but the numbers actually campaigning would be tiny.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I actually wouldn't mind martletts or a change back to dolphins, but I would fight against a change in colours!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
What happens next season at 19:27 in the Brighton vs Cardiff game?

If a substantial proportion of Brighton fans actually join in and sang "You'll always be Blue" then I think you would have a measure of how we would respond to something similar happening to us.

I do feel most PL fans have already sold their souls, but with Cardiff coming down to a more fan-focused division I do hope that Tan becomes genuinely sorry for what he has done given the support offered by opposing supporters as the season progresses.

I hope we face them very early in the season and lead the way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Oh of course, I'd fight, you'd fight I am sure and others on here. But of the 25000 at the Amex the vast majority wouldn't really be bothered, I'm sure a decent percentage would have a whinge whilst not actually doing anything about it, but the numbers actually campaigning would be tiny.

I broadly agree.

Our support is no different from Cardiff's - we are similar sized clubs, both clubs have been down to small crowds in the past 20 years, and both have seen gates nearing 30,000. And you can bet it was never "a dozen" protestors as that article romantically suggested, at worst I'd bet there were grumblings from a good 2,000-3,000, with some less vociferous than others.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think we all suspect that the old hands would fight tooth and nail, but many of the JCLs would roll (or bend) over and say Yes Please - as many Cardiff followers did when the prospect of promotion to the Promised land was dangled before them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Put it this way - would anyone be happy for Brighton to be blackmailed into wearing red-and-white stripes
Partly it would depend on the motive of the owner. If it's to make us more popular to fans that live abroad, at the expense of the local fans that have supported the club all their lives, I wouldn't be at all happy.

Why couldn't Cardiff simply make Red their away strip, and sell bucket loads of that abroad? Half of their games are away anyway, so they could play in red almost as much as in blue. And they could have added some red details into the club identity, without losing what they had. No doubt a lot of fans wouldn't have liked that either, but it's a lot better than what they have now.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
More technical people than me will probably be able to upload/download it on to here, but I think you'll find this bloke was the subject of a BBC documentary on hooliganism as he was the leader of the Cardiff City Soul Crew, then again this shows that when the fighting stops he's still passionate about his club.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here