Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye to Albion's Spanish contingent?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Looking at the players that are out of contract and the specualation regarding Ulloa, it isn't entirely improbable for us to be starting the season without a single player or member of the coaching staff from Spain (or other latin countries.)

If the new manager is someone like Sherwood I can't really see us getting any more in either.

So would we be happy to ship out the flair and get some cloggers in for next year?

Last edited:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Ultimately, the Spanish flair didn't get us promoted to the Prem. Close, but no cigar.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Looking at the players that are out of contract and the specualation regarding Ulloa, it isn't entirely improbable for us to be starting the season without a single player or member of the coaching staff from Spain (or other latin countries.)

If the new manager is someone like Sherwood I can't really see us getting any more in either.

So would we be happy to ship out the flair and get some cloggers in for next year?

We'll definitely still have Calde. The coaching staff most likely won't be Spanish but to get rid of all of the Spanish players would be bad.

The Spanish player I am worried about losing is Lopez. He may not be strong but he makes up for that in skill and can change games.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
You need to play fast attacking football to get in the Prem - Two attackers scoring goals and a defence that can watch your back as you rush forward. Experienced players seem to be the key.

When you reach the Prem you need to know how to defend and concentrate on getting 40 points grinding out results - do that for 3-4 years and with a few good buys you can eventually have a squad worth £200M and start to evolve and compete. Again Experience is the key

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
In other words, bring on the hoofball.
Because all that Spanish ticky-tacky is so boring.

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here....

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I see that Maccabi Tel Aviv won the Israeli League again this season, with a management team as follows:

Sports Director Jordi Cruyff (Netherlands)
Head Coach Paulo Sousa (Portugal)
Assistant Coach/Fitness Coach Nacho Torreno (Spain)
Assistant Coach Victor Sanchez (Spain)

Could all do a job? :moo:

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
La Liga Premier esta muy leijos con el futbol jugadors de Espana.

Didn't even need Google translate for that. Not even the bits I made up. Speaking Spanish is all about believing in yourself and how good the person you're speaking to is at guessing.

Seriously though, as long as Calde stays in some capacity or other, then de nada.

As they may well say.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
We'll definitely still have Calde. The coaching staff most likely won't be Spanish but to get rid of all of the Spanish players would be bad.

The Spanish player I am worried about losing is Lopez. He may not be strong but he makes up for that in skill and can change games.

Agree about Lopez. I think many would be happy to see him go, based on a poor second season, but the year before he looked a real find.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I see that Maccabi Tel Aviv won the Israeli League again this season, with a management team as follows:

Sports DirectorJordi Cruyff (Netherlands)
Head Coach Paulo Sousa (Portugal)
Assistant Coach/Fitness Coach Nacho Torreno (Spain)
Assistant Coach Victor Sanchez (Spain)

Could all do a job? :moo:

Interesting as didn't Sousa largely fail over here tactically

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree about Lopez. I think many would be happy to see him go, based on a poor second season, but the year before he looked a real find.

He is talented but to be fair, in the two seasons he has been here, he has only really played well in one quarter of that time, ie the second half of last season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Does it follow then, that if a player wasn't born in Spain, that he is a clogger?

You may well be right though, we will be without a single player from Spain by this time next week, with all of the Spanish flags and the Gaviotas banner disappearing from the south west corner too.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Well that's going to annoy all the Spanish lovers on here. I for one am glad, it was an unhealthy obsession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here