Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic managers from League 1/2?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I have very little belief that just about any of the names being touted around by bookies and other posters are realistic. Di Matteo, Zola, Rangnick e.t.c. all managers who you would expect would want big promises about budgets and to have players they wanted signed actually signed. Obvious we've been spoilt by the box office appointment of Poyet and then a man from Barca but I just don't believe that appointing Zola or Mackay, both managers who are big names in football at the moment but neither of whom have particularly impressive managerial records is in our best interests.

Why do we not look for a manager who fits into the system and budget we have at the club, someone who can come in and instill some fight and team spirit rather than demanding multi million pound signings in order to concede. In particular we must get someone again who is going to able to work with and develop young players.

How about:

Kenny Jackett at Wolves? Russ Wilcox at Scunthorpe? Nigel Clough at Sheff Utd?

Just to be clear, I do trust the management to make a decent appointment (yes, really) Garcia was an excellent appointment. This is hopefully a thread for people to identify other possible candidates who might otherwise fly under the radar.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Nigel Clough spent years achieving next to nothing year on year with Derby. As soon as he was replaced, they've flown up the league.

Kenny Jackett would have no real reason to leave Wolves, their budget is probably comparable, if not better than ours given attendances (think they're also in final year of parachute payments).

Russ Wilcox has done great this season, granted. But a lot of people have overlooked his budget comparable with pretty much every other League 2 club. They have the best squad by some distance.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Chris wilder at Northampton ex Albion done wonders in keeping Northampton up . Be good as a number 2 to learn the ropes.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Jackett wouldn't want to come here (though he'd be a good fit - I'm here all week). Wilcox not enough experience. Clough spent years at Derby just treading water in mid-table.

If you were looking in the bottom two divisions you'd have to go for that bloke at Orient, done wonders on a small budget.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nigel Clough spent years achieving next to nothing year on year with Derby. As soon as he was replaced, they've flown up the league.

The squad was a squad assembled almost entirely by him, with players he developed and brought through into the first team all the time working in a tight financial environment. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for this season. McLaren did no better than Clough against the teams that he played before being sacked, I think McLaren took one more point and most of those teams finished up the top.

Camicus

WTF 2 years on the bounce in the play offs full stadium week in week out good cup runs for 2 years and you want someone from divisions below us? Set your sights a little higher

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Gary Rowett has done amazingly well to guide Burton Albion to the League Two play-offs in successive seasons on one of the smallest budgets. Among the most promising of the young managers around.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe not for us at this time, but Paul Cook at Chesterfield could well make it higher up the pyramid.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The RETURN of SALDE? :albion2:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
The squad was a squad assembled almost entirely by him, with players he developed and brought through into the first team all the time working in a tight financial environment. He doesn't get the credit he deserves for this season. McLaren did no better than Clough against the teams that he played before being sacked, I think McLaren took one more point and most of those teams finished up the top.

Eh? He was sacked with them sat in 14th.

He'd had 4 years there and had done NOTHING whatsoever.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I have very little belief that just about any of the names being touted around by bookies and other posters are realistic. Di Matteo, Zola, Rangnick e.t.c. all managers who you would expect would want big promises about budgets and to have players they wanted signed actually signed. Obvious we've been spoilt by the box office appointment of Poyet and then a man from Barca but I just don't believe that appointing Zola or Mackay, both managers who are big names in football at the moment but neither of whom have particularly impressive managerial records is in our best interests.

Why do we not look for a manager who fits into the system and budget we have at the club, someone who can come in and instill some fight and team spirit rather than demanding multi million pound signings in order to concede. In particular we must get someone again who is going to able to work with and develop young players.

How about:

Kenny Jackett at Wolves? Russ Wilcox at Scunthorpe? Nigel Clough at Sheff Utd?

Just to be clear, I do trust the management to make a decent appointment (yes, really) Garcia was an excellent appointment. This is hopefully a thread for people to identify other possible candidates who might otherwise fly under the radar.
Last time I checked Wolves are now in the Championship.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Eh? He was sacked with them sat in 14th.

He'd had 4 years there and had done NOTHING whatsoever.

No, he spent 4 years assembling that squad whilst constantly reducing the wage bill.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Explain what has this man ever achieved.

Admittedly he doesn't have a stunning CV. But he was/is? regarded as one of the best young managers in the country a couple of years back. Maybe he needs his big break?

I'm not saying I will be overjoyed if he got the job but just throwing a name into the ring from L1/2!!

Southwest Seagull

Jul 3, 2013
Having watched a lot this season, no one in League 2 is a particularly good manager that's for sure. Wilcox is overrated especially.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here