Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What is people's problem with Sherwood?

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
He has a great win percentage in his 5 month tenure, nearly 60%.

Yes he is outspoken but not not unreasonably so. He expressed frustration about the situation he was working under which is understandable. He was a dead man walking. He seemed to get the Adebayor playing well.

Can't see any huge reason against him. He started his time as Spurs manager by saying he wanted to get back to playing exciting attacking football, exactly what people have been calling for.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
He has a great win percentage in his 5 month tenure, nearly 60%.

Yes he is outspoken but not not unreasonably so. He expressed frustration about the situation he was working under which is understandable. He was a dead man walking. He seemed to get the Adebayor playing well.

Can't see any huge reason against him. He started his time as Spurs manager by saying he wanted to get back to playing exciting attacking football, exactly what people have been calling for.

Fully agree. In life it is so easy to say that someone is crap or because Jones did a funny step over then he is a weasel .try and be positive people .This could be a new exciting era. Oscar did only have plan A.

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
No problem here, but this sounds familiar!!

I think Sherwood got stiffed by Levy. Said in the media that Sherwood would be considered for the job full time when it was clear he wouldn't be.

If TB and co sort out the transfer responsibility problem then I can see it working. Also Sherwood may well know Barber from coaching at Spurs while Barber was CEO.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
See comments on other Sherwood thread.

It's an OUT from me.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
No more defensive-minded boring bollocks. A definite yes from me.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I don't particularly have a problem with him to be honest, although he does come across as an arrogant whatsit. But that's bye the bye.

I just don't get where all the hype is coming from. I see nothing of substance on his very short CV to back the hype.

May turn out to be a very good manager at Championship or even Premiership level in the future, but quite why people are gushing about him at this point in his very short managerial career is beyond me I'm afraid.

Perhaps I'm missing something? (yes I know about the youth stuff).

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Young British manager who has just achieved a top 6 finish in the prem. We would be lucky to get him imho, when you look at some of the other options. If he bought Les Ferdinand with him we might even start sticking away a few more chances.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Given the tough working conditions at the Albion (expectations v FFP) we need someone level-headed and experienced.

Sherwood is not that man. He has no class. Hasn't got a clue how to deal with the media - or, I suspect, players.

"Someone's telling porkies!!!!"

http://www1.skysports.com/football/...od-frank-de-boer-speculation-is-disappointing

Also, the gillet. Bellend.

Who could possibly argue with any of this? Mild-mannered Oscar does a runner for reasons unknown. This prickly hot-head would last days.

TtY

May 13, 2014
As a Spurs fan who lives in Brighton and goes to the odd game at BHAFC, I think Sherwood would make an excellent choice as the Seagulls next manager. I will give a few reasons why but first I will address some of his shortcomings that have been highlighted both on this forum and on Spurs forums.

Pre / Post match interviews - At best you can view him as a salt of the earth cockney lad but the reality is he has at times been too cocky, gobbed off about individual players (which a manager should never do) and likes to stir the pot. But bear in mind he has been put in the awkward position of THFC and Levy saying that he won't be manager by the end of the season weeks before the campaign finished so much is naive rhetoric is both targeted at the position the club put him in and the frustration of a few Spurs players who were not pulling their weight.

Tactical set up of teams - Sherwood certainly made mistakes in several of our matches (Liverpool, Man City) where he didn't employ a holding midfielder, Hull where, despite us making and average display he failed to make any substitutions, West Ham playing a 4-4-2 again with no holding player.To balance that out,that although he screwed up the tactics V Hull ( 0 - 0) and West Ham, Spurs are a mile behind the Bin Dippers in Shitty (along with the top 4 PL finishers, and a weaker first 11 then Everton who totally deserved to finish above Spurs) so his poor tactical naivety in setting up his teams in reality only cost Spurs 3 - 5 points last year.

I think however it is worth highlighting that on many occasions this season, when Spurs under Sherwood have had an average or poor first half, come the second half the team have completely changed and gone on to win many matches, a good sign of a good dressing room manager

Why didn't Spurs keep hold of him? - He was always on a hiding to nothing and Levy clearly saw him as a stop gap until the end of the season where he could have a pop in recruiting a Frank De Boar, Louis Van Gaal (chance missed :( ) or the Poccehtino bloke from Southampton. Sherwood would have had to finish top 4 to have any chance of keeping the Spurs job, which was near impossible by the time he became THFC Head Coach. Most Spurs fans would probably say he did a reasonable job (apart from the delusional ****'s and yes we have a few) who kinda think that selling a world class player and buying 7 players with no Prem League experience means you gonna land at last top 4, even challenge for the title. Realistically, 5th - 7th is where Spurs were going to finish.

Reasons why I think he would be great at Brighton and Hove Albion FC, the 2nd greatest team in the world and based in the greatest place in the World.

Youth - At Spurs alongside Chris Ramsey, Sherwood has developed one of the strongest youth set up's in this country (behind Southampton, Everton and arguably Man Utd) Spurs put a lot of weight in bringing youth players through and have potential to have a load come up through tier ranks. Barkley and Stones at Everton, Shaw at Southampton and Wilson at Man Utd are better players then our youth set up but the likes of Rose, Townsend, Harry Kane, Livermore, Bentaleb, Carroll, Pritchard (selected in top 3 under 21 players in the Championship despite playing a tier below playing for Swindon on loan compared to the blonde head kid at Derby who won it and the Leicester CB), Fredericks, Veljokic, Ceballos, Harry Winks, Coulthirst to name a few. All these players are highly thought of and will either have or will break in or will get playing time at other PL league or top Championship teams. Please note, I DID NOT INCLUDE OBIKA IN THAT LIST!!

Most of these players were either loaned out or broke through to the Spurs first team squad in season 2013-14, but to put it in perspective how good they are, here is the league table finish from season 2012-13 of the Prem League U21s

http://www.myfootballfacts.com/U-21_Premier_League_2012-13.html

Compare the points Spurs gained and the goals scored to eventual winners (due to stupid play off/final format) to Man Utd. They also beat Barcelona U21s 4-0, in Barcelona.

Now, I am not saying "Look at Timmy, he must be a good manager because he's proved it at under 21 football", but bear in mind that like what Spurs have done, Brighton are investing heavily in a more then decent training complex and with the FFP rules and Brighton's annual losses, the future of BHAFC must be with the youth set up. So players like that Solly kid from Lewes (he looks quality) are the way forward. Sherwood would be itching to work and develop him.

Since I mentioned the FFP rules, this brings me on to the next reason why Sherwood would be a good fit for the Seagulls. As he already has good links with one of the best football academies in England, the opportunity to gain players on loan from Spurs or pick up the odd bargain in the transfer market is a real plus point. If you could get the likes of Carroll, Pritchard, Fredericks, Fryers etc on loan, you have the core of a championship winning team at zero transfer costs. The loan market is essential for teams struggling against FFP rules and to highlight this, do you think Everton would have finished 5th without loaning in Barry, Lukaku and Deulofeu? Don't take my word for it, ask an Evertonian.

I as a Spurs fan think that Sherwood was too inexperienced to cut it at Tottenham and was placed in a near impossible position, but given the chance to prove himself at a decent team with realistic expectations, he will strive to make a very good manager.

Add Chris Ramsey to the equation, a guy that many Spurs fans who have and inside knowledge of the club rate highly as a very clever, tactical coach along with the relationship Sherwood probably has established with Paul Barber and you got yourselves a real tangible and realistic opportunity and growth potential to establish Brighton as a solid, mid table Prem club in the mould of Swansea or Southampton.

TtY

May 13, 2014
PS, it's a body warmer, not a gillet, Sherwood stopped wearing it a few weeks ago when he throw it on the ground in a hissy fit. Plus Les Ferdinand, not so sure he is all that great, since he is a Striker coach and Spurs have not had so much luck in the striker department in recent years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here