Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet at it again!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Excerpt from Mail Online:

Sunderland owner Ellis Short and chief executive Margaret Byrne have started planning for life without Poyet. Sportsmail revealed last week how Poyet's future was uncertain despite leading them to safety. He wants greater control over the club's transfer dealings but it is understood the club have reservations after the manager's January signings made little impact. Sunderland are already exploring their options should Poyet leave.

And yet still people clamour for Brighton managers to be given blank cheque books!!!

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Today on the radio he said that he would be staying at Sunderland.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ooohh, where to start.

1. The story doesn't have ANY quotes whatsoever. Welcome to summer journalism.
2. I haven't seen ANYONE suggest managers should have "blank chequebooks". What I'm reading is a lot of fans concerned that Oscar didn't get any players that he had on his target list, and had to deal purely with what he was given.

Looks like that has cost us 2 managers in 12 months, and from Barbers statement, that is the level of responsibility for the coach / manager that we are sticking with. No-one is saying "open chequebook" but surely you give them more input than Oscar appears to have been granted.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Excerpt from Mail Online:

Sunderland owner Ellis Short and chief executive Margaret Byrne have started planning for life without Poyet. Sportsmail revealed last week how Poyet's future was uncertain despite leading them to safety. He wants greater control over the club's transfer dealings but it is understood the club have reservations after the manager's January signings made little impact. Sunderland are already exploring their options should Poyet leave.

And yet still people clamour for Brighton managers to be given blank cheque books!!!

No we don't - we want the MANAGER to be given complete control over the AVAILABLE budget. Two completely different things. I for one don't blame Gus for wanting that and we probably wouldn't have lost two talented managers / head coaches if they had been given that control.

EDIT - I'll add, if Gus had been given that control IMO we would now be in the Premiership with Gus at the helm.

Last edited:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
No we don't - we want the MANAGER to be given complete control over the AVAILABLE budget. Two completely different things. I for one don't blame Gus for wanting that and we probably wouldn't have lost two talented managers / head coaches if they had been given that control.

You make many reasonable suggestions. This is another one.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Ooohh, where to start.

1. The story doesn't have ANY quotes whatsoever. Welcome to summer journalism.
2. I haven't seen ANYONE suggest managers should have "blank chequebooks". What I'm reading is a lot of fans concerned that Oscar didn't get any players that he had on his target list, and had to deal purely with what he was given.

Looks like that has cost us 2 managers in 12 months, and from Barbers statement, that is the level of responsibility for the coach / manager that we are sticking with. No-one is saying "open chequebook" but surely you give them more input than Oscar appears to have been granted.

How can someone write a criticism of a story without factual basis, then make their own statement with no factual basis - were you attempting irony and I've missed it? ???

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
When i was a project manager i had control of the budget, and therefore could manage.

If someone managing a team and project with income and outcome, and personell going in and out - this person needs to control the budget, or at the very least have a massive say in how and where it is spent.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How can someone write a criticism of a story without factual basis, then make their own statement with no factual basis - were you attempting irony and I've missed it? ???

And because of that you are taking my opinion with a HUGE pinch of salt. Which is exactly what should be done with the article the OP is referring. That article is no more than the opinion of the journo, and should be treated as such.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Hmm. Sherwood sacked and Poyet begins to surface in "discontent" rumours...

I am the weaver (interlocks fingers and laughs evil laugh)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

EDIT - I'll add, if Gus had been given that control IMO we would now be in the Premiership with Gus at the helm.

What, just like Billy Davies at Forest! Look at the players Poyet signed at Sunderland, on the back of just coming into the job and the club being shit scared of relegation so rolling over to his demands.

Out of interest, what experience do you think Oscar or even Poyet have at negotiation signing on fees, win bonus, pension payments, length of contract even!

When i was a project manager i had control of the budget, and therefore could manage.

If someone managing a team and project with income and outcome, and personell going in and out - this person needs to control the budget, or at the very least have a massive say in how and where it is spent.

Did you blow your entire budget on one particular employee or did you appreciate that you couldn't spend a fortune on just one person without upsetting the balance of the rest of your team.

You only have to look at host of threads pre season with everyone announcing their recommendations that we need x number of defenders, x number of midfields and x number of strikers. There is only x amount in the budget. Perhaps it would be easy if we only needed one player and all the budget could be spent on that person!! One new player every season.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Hmm. Sherwood sacked and Poyet begins to surface in "discontent" rumours...

I am the weaver (interlocks fingers and laughs evil laugh)

You can just imagine his "discontent" has increased ever so slightly in the hours since Sherwood was let go, can't you?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What, just like Billy Davies at Forest! Look at the players Poyet signed at Sunderland, on the back of just coming into the job and the club being shit scared of relegation so rolling over to his demands.

Out of interest, what experience do you think Oscar or even Poyet have at negotiation signing on fees, win bonus, pension payments, length of contract even!

You're making the simplistic assumption that giving control of the playing budget to the manager somehow excludes other personnel being involved. So the manager identifies a player and then discusses with them coming here. Others discuss with the players agent what the player is looking for and negotiate to an agreed point. These others then tell the manager, well Gus, it's going to cost you x from your overall budget. Do you still want him ?

The manager still has control of the budget in these circumstances. Sadly the club have clearly gone the other way where Burke controls how the budget is spent and tells the manager / head coach which players he can buy. If we're going to use this system then, in seasons when the manager is sacked for a poor performance then so should Burke. Currently he would appear to not have his performance connected to the results the team produces. If people consider Oscar failed ( whether that be via league position or just footballing style ) then so did Burke.

EDIT - and as for your "look who Poyet signed" statement, well yes, and he was highly successful in rescuing Sunderland from what looked like a guaranteed relegation. So the boy did good ( despite what the Gus haters would like to think ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here