Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The position we are recruiting for is for that of first-team manager.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion's search for a new manager has already begun, and chief executive Paul Barber says he and chairman Tony Bloom have already received significant levels interest from a number of potential high quality candidates for the job.

Barber said, "Most of yesterday was spent dealing with Oscar's departure; once we confirmed we had accepted his resignation in the early evening, that of course triggered a number of enquiries to the club about the position.

"We can't divulge any names, and we won't comment on media speculation, but at this stage what I can say is that we have been contacted by some very high calibre managers and coaches who want to work for Brighton & Hove Albion - and it’s certainly a very good indication of just how far our club has come in a very short period of time.

He also confirmed the new role will be under the title of the club's manager, adding, "The position we are recruiting for is for that of first-team manager.

"Once the legal proceedings had concluded last summer, Oscar was offered the title of manager - as his role and responsibilities were the same as the previous manager's - but Oscar chose to retain his original title of head coach.

"The new position will also be the same role and have the same responsibilities as Oscar but, to avoid any ambiguity, we will revert to the title of manager."

Barber says fans can expect to hear directly from club chairman Tony Bloom at some stage this week, but for now his immediate focus is on formulating a short list of candidates for the job - while the club also has to deal with the end-of-season retained list.

"We still have a bit of work to do - which must take priority - first we will sift through the long list of genuine applicants and then consider various criteria before interviewing our preferred candidates.

"At this stage, we can’t and won’t put a time scale on how long we think this process might take, as there are a number of factors which will determine that. Our focus is, as ever, making the right appointment and maintaining our excellent momentum of recent seasons.

"Meanwhile, it's very much business elsewhere in the club. We have to give the Football League our retained list, and first we will inform those players whose contracts are up at the end of June of their decision as to whether they will be offered a new contract. That is in hand. David Burke and Nathan Jones are currently sitting down with the players who are out of contract to explain the situation to them and we will then update our supporters.

"I am sure our fans have become used to the club's stance of dealing with key personnel decisions in a private way, but we do fully appreciate that fans have a lot questions and, unlike the situation we faced last year when we were constrained by a legal process, we will communicate as openly as any recruitment process – where candidates obviously expect privacy – will allow.

"We have also read some of the more disappointing criticisms of the club in one or two areas this morning - some of it unjustified, inaccurate, and unbalanced in our opinion, prompting even more questions from our fans. And, whilst it's not possible, and rarely productive, to address every nuance of every question, we will of course do our best to provide some important overall context and balance in due course.

"In the meantime, I would like to thank our fans for their excellent support this season right the way through to the very end of the play-off at Derby, and reassure them that we will continue keep fans informed of any significant developments as and when they happen."

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes. It's the same position that Oscar held, only with the proper title, that Oscar CHOSE not to have.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Well they can change the name but if they don't change the balance of power in the footballing side of the club it's a completely empty change to make. They could call them to emperor it would make no difference to whether or not Burke gets final say in dealings.

This statement doesn't actually reveal anything or address any of the concerns raised.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So, we will have another manager who gets to put a list of targets in, and then sees who he gets, quite possibly NONE of the targets he has identified.

It looks like we believe we have had the wrong man, rather than the wrong approach.

See you all again here next year!!!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
So, we will have another manager who gets to put a list of targets in, and then sees who he gets, quite possibly NONE of the targets he has identified.

It looks like we believe we have had the wrong man, rather than the wrong approach.

See you all again here next year!!!

The club just want a yes man. If it wasn't obvious before it should be obvious now.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We still have a bit of work to do - which must take priority - first we will sift through the long list of genuine applicants and then consider various criteria before interviewing our preferred candidates.

That's my application f**ked then.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
"We have to give the Football League our retained list, and first we will inform those players whose contracts are up at the end of June of their decision as to whether they will be offered a new contract. That is in hand. David Burke and Nathan Jones are currently sitting down with the players who are out of contract to explain the situation to them and we will then update our supporters."

Worrying...very worrying

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
And clearly whoever comes in will have no input into the retained list. Given the numbers involved, this is a big issue.

Deja vu.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
"We have also read some of the more disappointing criticisms of the club in one or two areas this morning - some of it unjustified, inaccurate, and unbalanced in our opinion, prompting even more questions from our fans. And, whilst it's not possible, and rarely productive, to address every nuance of every question, we will of course do our best to provide some important overall context and balance in due course."

Translation: We are in danger of losing the PR agenda but rest assured carefully managed messages will resume shortly.

PG

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
And clearly whoever comes in will have no input into the retained list. Given the numbers involved, this is a big issue.

Deja vu.

PG
Good grief, the retained ( or not) list would have already been drawn up with the last managerial and coaching team, its already in motion. There is no way on earth that they would leave everyone hanging around just in case. Bear in mind that the players all head off on their annual leave now, they would then return towards the end of June for the start of pre-season, any new manager would take at least a couple of weeks to get a view of who he likes who he doesnt......that is going to be too late for all concerned, isnt it?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
God some of my fellow Brighton fans are almighty bellends, it's just endless moaning. :yawn:

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
"David Burke and Nathan Jones are currently sitting down with the players who are out of contract to explain the situation to them and we will then update our supporters". This is the bit that causes me a lot of concern. I just don't trust Burke or Jones' judgement. Also, I assume any new manager will be told that they have to keep Jones as number 2 or what's the point of him having any input into who stays and who goes? Does this mean the club will only recruit a 'Yes' man? Feeling very pessimistic at the moment :(

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
God some of my fellow Brighton fans are almighty bellends, it's just endless moaning. :yawn:

Good fun though eh? One things is for sure there is going to be a lot of in & outs this summer which is always interesting and amusing!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
"David Burke and Nathan Jones are currently sitting down with the players who are out of contract to explain the situation to them and we will then update our supporters". This is the bit that causes me a lot of concern. I just don't trust Burke or Jones' judgement. Also, I assume any new manager will be told that they have to keep Jones as number 2 or what's the point of him having any input into who stays and who goes? Does this mean the club will only recruit a 'Yes' man? Feeling very pessimistic at the moment :(

First of all the retained list will be part of Burke's remit so I do not see an issue there. OG was not sacked so there is no reason to get rid of Jones. if the new candidate has his own staff to come in then Jones will be out. Bloom is not Dick Knight and Jones is no Bob Booker.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011

What else are they supposed to do?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I assume any new manager will be told that they have to keep Jones as number 2 ...............(
Of course he won't, where did you dream that one up from, he is there now, the 'hard yards' are being done now by Jones because he is still in the clubs employ. When the new fella comes in, he is just as likely to say, no thanks taff, I have my own man, at which point boyo will head for the hills ( or the valleys).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here