Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Transfer embargo on FFP

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Assuming a few clubs as such fail FFP and they are hit with a transfer embargo , are they allowed to sell any players or is it a case of buying only ?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
You won't know until next Christmas i believe. If Man City can be hit with a 50 million pound fine then hopefully a few championship clubs will be stung. Lets face it that is a massive fine no matter how rich you are.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I've got a sneaking suspicion FFP will be scrapped. I doubt clubs like Forest would deliberately flout the rules if they didn't think their argument stood up. Will be interesting to see, though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be ironic if the Albion were the only club not prepared to flaunt the FFP regulations, so were free to deal as they pleased, after sanctions.
Also happened to be the only club not prepared to spend the money, and deal as they pleased, after sanctions.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
It would be ironic if the Albion were the only club not prepared to flaunt the FFP regulations, so were free to deal as they pleased, after sanctions.
Also happened to be the only club not prepared to spend the money, and deal as they pleased, after sanctions.

Apparently Derby played within FFP rules too.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've got a sneaking suspicion FFP will be scrapped. I doubt clubs like Forest would deliberately flout the rules if they didn't think their argument stood up. Will be interesting to see, though.

I expect that Forrest's owners thought that promotion was a formality if they threw enough cash at the team.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Assuming a few clubs as such fail FFP and they are hit with a transfer embargo , are they allowed to sell any players or is it a case of buying only ?

No one in or out without permission from the FL.

Obviously clubs will need to offload some of the expensive players to meet the target and must still be able to field a squad, so I can see the FL allowing quite a bit of activity from any club under embargo provided that its no more than one in/one out and its expensive swapped for cheap.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
The PL missed an opportunity re: FFP

Instead of fining Citeh with a couple of weeks left in the season, they should have docked them 10 points, the same punishment dished out for going into administration

Cue clubs falling over themselves to have squeaky clean accounts

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Instead of fining Citeh with a couple of weeks left in the season, they should have docked them 10 points, the same punishment dished out for going into administration

And cue a MASSIVE legal battle as City appeal and counter-sue for loss of earnings.

I'm sure that the 50m is part of a "plea bargain" and has been pre-agreed after consultation with the club - anything else would destabilise the rules so much they'd be scrapped. Come christmas I'd expect to see similar "deals" going on in the championship and the FL insist on some punishment being carried through but still trying to avoid the legal challenge.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Docking points is the only true punishment that will hurt clubs

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A pretty difficult thing to do...................................................................they were fined by UEFA. Shall I post it again UEFA, Union of European Football Associations.

Can never understand people who get this wrong. Half the posters believe its the FA who imposed FFP on the Championship it's the sodding FOOTBALL LEAGUE dimwits. You then get half-baked crap spouted. For God sake get basic facts right then the debate might be worth having.

Rant over

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I thought it was UEFA not the PL who have fined them

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I want the money to go to clubs that do comply, not charity.

So do I but alas the decision isn't up to us! I believe the PL sponsors have baulked at their money going to other clubs hence why it will go to charity instead.

A pretty difficult thing to do...................................................................they were fined by UEFA. Shall I post it again UEFA, Union of European Football Associations.

Can never understand people who get this wrong. Half the posters believe its the FA who imposed FFP on the Championship it's the sodding FOOTBALL LEAGUE dimwits. You then get half-baked crap spouted. For God sake get basic facts right then the debate might be worth having.

Rant over

You can lead a horse to water but etc..etc.. etc.. I've lost count of the number of times I have posted the link to FFP being explained but the dimwits either can't read or are too lazy to take a look and educate themselves.

And cue a MASSIVE legal battle as City appeal and counter-sue for loss of earnings.

I'm sure that the 50m is part of a "plea bargain" and has been pre-agreed after consultation with the club - anything else would destabilise the rules so much they'd be scrapped. Come christmas I'd expect to see similar "deals" going on in the championship and the FL insist on some punishment being carried through but still trying to avoid the legal challenge.

Why do you think it is a plea bargain? If you saw the reports last week you will know that this is one of the 9 sanctions that UEFA can impose with the ultimate sanction of exclusion from European competition. City and PSG were the high profile offenders. There was doubt whether City would accept the punishment but if they don't, they run the risk of losing their case and having a heavier punishment imposed. I believe the actual punishment is due to be announced this week but media reports are that it will be the fine and a reduced squad for Champions League fixtures.

I don't understand the thinking behind this type of comment. Why would it be scrapped because a club like Forest gambled and failed. I would suggest the thinking behind it is to somehow justify moaning at the club for a lack of spending!

FFP is being imposed by UEFA with sanctions imposed this year. The PL has FFP with sanctions expected to be imposed from Dec this year for certain breaches and from 2016 for breaches of the loss limits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here