Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alternative Sites - the official facts.

CarlDouglas

May 8, 2004
Wrexham
Hi Folks,

I still can't get my head round whether this is good news or bad news for you guys.

I am sure that after this next inquiry John Prescott will take his thumb out of his arse and the building at Falmer can start.

We had a public meeting in Wrexham last night to spell out the alternative to moving away from the Racecourse. It was very well received and the leader of the council said he wouldn't even talk to Hamilton about moving!

This morning we have been calling B&Q's property department to ask if the rumours are true that they are interested in the Racecourse Ground as a potential site for a new store. After about 400 calls they have taken the unprecidented step of issuing a press release to say that they are not going to build on the home of the Dragons!

Even the local press are starting to get behind our campaign now. Yesterday the Evening Leader printed a story that Hamilton had threatned to close the ground if there was any more protests against the move.

Hamilton is obviously rattled because he also left a menacing voicemail message on the Supporters Trust's phone line calling us "lowlifes".

Anyway, keep us posted on any developments about Falmer. Everyone in Wrexham is 100% behind you.

Carl

Looks like a bit of selective quoting from Lord B. This is Collyer's conclusion on Sheepcote :-

18.78 Of course this site has its disadvantages as well as advantages - just like any other. As to whether it represents a realistic alternative to Falmer is essentially a question of balance. And in my judgement the balance at Sheepcote Valley demonstrably falls in favour of its suitability; moreover, any disadvantages which it does have are far outweighed by those which make the Falmer site, in my overall opinion [see paragraphs 18.184-18.190], wholly unacceptable

The Great Cornholio said:
Looks like a bit of selective quoting from Lord B. This is Collyer's conclusion on Sheepcote :-

18.78 Of course this site has its disadvantages as well as advantages - just like any other. As to whether it represents a realistic alternative to Falmer is essentially a question of balance. And in my judgement the balance at Sheepcote Valley demonstrably falls in favour of its suitability; moreover, any disadvantages which it does have are far outweighed by those which make the Falmer site, in my overall opinion [see paragraphs 18.184-18.190], wholly unacceptable

gulllllllllllppppp

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Donk the Seagull said:
Cant jp and the nimbys just realise that we want falmer and not any other site. We will not comprimsie with them.:smokin:

Do we? I don't care where the site is, as long as we get it.

Sheepcote, Waterhall, Falmer...they're all the same to me. Just give us a stadium.

lincs seagull

Feb 25, 2004
boston
If the bid for falmer is as straight forward as it says at the begining of this thread why have we got to reopen it surly thats all the eviedence we need.

did the case miss something did we not explain our selves enought for the reasons we cant use the other sites.

thats what i dont understand if we have given all this info why do we have to do it again???

Virgo's Haircut

Resident Train Guru
Jul 5, 2003
On a train...
The way I am reading this is that the only other site that could possibly be used for a stadium is Toads Hole Valley, but this won't happen due the the lack of public transport serving it.

So, it's going to be Falmer :)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Virgo's Haircut said:
The way I am reading this is that the only other site that could possibly be used for a stadium is Toads Hole Valley, but this won't happen due the the lack of public transport serving it.

So, it's going to be Falmer :)

Close! It's between Sheepcote Valley, Toad's Hole Valley and Falmer.

Falmer pisses on both of the other sites.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Been reading the report and Collyers main requirement was for more in depth, consistent analysis with an accurate and updated costing for each site. Falmer is the best site and I'd only worry about Sheepcote which may be a non runner due to land fill use and transport links. The criteria suit us and point to Falmer, escpeically the 22,000 requirement ruling out Withdean. The need for a capacity of this size appears to have been accpeted and will not be under review.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
There is no way that they will approve Sheepcote Valley. There are no rail links. All the traffic would have to go through the town, the coast road or via Falmer.

It's a non starter. :lolol:

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Why list the Falmer points at the top of the thread? To put the rest into some perspective and to enable a true comparison.

The truth is, there are no perfect sites in the area unless we move about 15 miles North of Brighton.

Yoda

English & European
roz said:
Brighton Station
- planning permission for a mixed used development including a Sainsbury's food store, office, hotel and educational use has been granted and the Section 106 Planning Agreement has been completed
- construction contracts have been let
- Agreements to Lease are signed
- Construction is due to start in June 2004
There is no prospect of a stadium development. The site is simply not available.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't they already started now? ???

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There are 3 realistic alternatives to Falmer: Waterhall, Sheepcote and Toads Hole. All the others wont get past the simple hurdle of purchasing the site!!!

All 3 and Falmer suffer from the basic problem of being considered green field (although they arnt really). none are perfect, with 2 sites being inside AONB boundries and 2 having no possible rail link.

Sheepcote is the worst option as it dosent have good roads around it and while its not in a AONB, the previous land usage makes it potentially dangerous. This site looks good at first, but has a weak case.

Waterhall. What ever anyone says about it, a rialway station is *possible*. Its outside the A27 (-) but is already used for Sports and Recreation (+). I have it on good authority that planning permission could have been obtained on the Waterhall site a few years ago, though the AONB has changed that. Added to the fact that its north of the A27, we will never get this site.

Toads Hole lacks rail link, but is inside the A27 so looses planning limits and AONB protection. It could be viable if a well organised bus service was provided, a rail link isnt actually a requirement of a stadium. however, local NIMBY's opposition whould be worse than Falmer though (simply more of them) and we'd be back to square one if this is seen as an alternative.

Falmer has the always been the leading site partly due to financial considerations, ie joint development with the universities. But its also partially brown field and if it hadnt been for hte AONB boundry we'd already be home a dry. Rail link is a hugh bonus and is the icing on the cake. There is no real way to oppose the site when you consider that the AONB bounrdy is arbitrary and only covers the site due to a lack of another natural place to draw the line other than the A27. However, here we are.

I think the biggest risk is from Toads Hole. Its viable, wont cost much different, and only real limitation is that we loose the rail link. If we are to get Falmer we need to get those non-football groups who opposed Toad Holes on our side for one last push. In return we'll oppose any future development there. The same might be applicable to Sheepcote as an outside chance (this is the site GG would probably back). Waterhall aint ever going to happen - if they say its ok to buil don that bi tof AONB, then why not Falmer?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
beorhthelm said:

I think the biggest risk is from Toads Hole. Its viable, wont cost much different, and only real limitation is that we loose the rail link. If we are to get Falmer we need to get those non-football groups who opposed Toad Holes on our side for one last push. In return we'll oppose any future development there. The same might be applicable to Sheepcote as an outside chance (this is the site GG would probably back). Waterhall aint ever going to happen - if they say its ok to buil don that bi tof AONB, then why not Falmer?

I made that point more sarcastically earlier. The NIMBYs cannot, sensibly, use the AONB as an argument if they propose to build on THV. If it's wrong to build on an AONB in one place, then it's wrong to build on another. That means that the NIMBYs cannot promote THV and Waterhall as alternatives without destroying their own argument.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wasnt aware that Toads hole was in a AONB. I thought the boundry stopped at the A27. If it is within an AONB then it pretty much looses any credibility as an alternative. If its not, then it presents no real problems that are the concern of the Inquiry (local groups will have something to say though), so is a real threat to Falmer getting a green light.

His other bright idea is to hang on in at Withdean and wait unmtil we can start being part of the redevelopment of Shoreham Harbour.

Personally I think we've got more chance of being part of the redevelopmentof the West Pier than that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here