Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Why do you think they keep pushing for Falmer instead of the ideal site at Waterhall? I'll tell you why, someone's getting a chunk of money out of it somewhere

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members
      "When the rich gather to discuss the poor, it is called charity. When the poor gather to discuss the rich, it is called Anarchy."

0 Not allowed!
      Stations are not necessarily that expensive to build.

I would imagine the real "train" issue at Waterhall is that there are major infrastructure plans to provide an even faster link between London and Brighton.

The last thing the National Rail Authority needs is trying to accomadate up to 22,000 people arriving and leaving within two one hour spells.

It would seriously knacker up their train schedules.

Falmer
      "For Palace fans, being beaten by Brighton at home is as bad as it gets. For reasons totally unfathomable to the rest of the football nation, the two sets of supporters detest each other with a passion rarely seen outside the Balkans.
      Registered Abuser

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by London Calling
      Stations are not necessarily that expensive to build.

I would imagine the real "train" issue at Waterhall is that there are major infrastructure plans to provide an even faster link between London and Brighton.

The last thing the National Rail Authority needs is trying to accomadate up to 22,000 people arriving and leaving within two one hour spells.

It would seriously knacker up their train schedules.

Falmer
      You're just thinking of yourself you selfish git ;)
      It is a full, well-hopped bitter with a reputation that exceeds the borders of its native and adjoining counties.

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by ATFC Seagull
      It doesn't have a rail link, it has a railway line. Preston park station is miles away and building a station could cost not far off the cost of the stadium itself.
      Plus there's only room on the north bound line.
      Why DON'T YOU ALL JUST
      Forza la Viola, Forza Fiorentina!!!
      Worthing Raiders RFC!!!

0 Not allowed!
      Agree with LC.

Moulsecoomb station is not that old and didn't cost an arm and a leg to build (I had a hand in agreeing the final account!).

Being next to a tunnel is a rubbish reason for not building a station there. There are many examples of stations not only next to, but IN tunnels on the rail network.

The only "real" reason I can see for a no to Waterhall is the national park one.

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Yoda
      Plus there's only room on the north bound line.
      Rubbish. The station doesn't have to be right under the road junction. There's loads of room for it a few hundred yards to the north.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I don't really care where the stadium is..as long as we get one.

But one thing does baffle me. How come the Falmer residents were so concerned about building on an AONB and protecting downland when discussing Falmer and not when it comes to building on download at Waterhall?

Why, that would make them such hypocrites ....
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      a man with a sound track record as a source of quality Albion info! ditchy's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Seagull in Horsham
      The key thing Falmer has in its favour are the railway links. Falmer station could be extended to enable longer trains stop there on match days (Southern Railway/Network Rail maybe able to help fund this - provided finances exist). Furthermore capacity on the line is not an overly serious problem, unlike the main London - Brighton line. :falmerspi
      So if it costs nothing to extend the platforms at Falmer how come it costs millions to build a station at Waterhall ..cant see why it would cost so much more . As for sheepcote its been a a mature landfill for at least 20years ... again ..not against Falmer .. just reasoning what could be said for other sites .. i am still a bit sceptical that its all ok as long as we prove the other sites not suitable ..as i said before opinions change over time ( which this is now dragging on) ..Can someone who is in the know please explain why waterhall deemed not suitable from a transport perspective .. The bypass is on its door step ..we all know ..access from the mainline would be a snip .. how much would it really cost to build small spur ala preston park used to have on the east side and still on the west side !!
      I just love the East Upper !!

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by sully
      Rubbish. The station doesn't have to be right under the road junction. There's loads of room for it a few hundred yards to the north.
      But not enough to accommodate the thousands of people using it.

Have you ever tried to use Fulham Broadway when Chelsea have been playing at home? That would be about the size of station they'd be able to fit in there. And then have to get Southern to agree to run a train in each direction every 5 minutes on what is already the busiest rail route in the Country (On trains to track ratio).
      Why DON'T YOU ALL JUST
      Forza la Viola, Forza Fiorentina!!!
      Worthing Raiders RFC!!!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Lammy
      For me the only sane choices are Falmer, Waterhall and Withdean.

Withdean is too small so out.

Withdean is not too small, you could easily build a 25,000 all seater stadium.

The problem is safe access and egress, through being hemmed in by the railway line, and there's not much you can do about that.