Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football Finance - and it's idiots like this .....

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
.... that have helped put football into the financial trap it is in today. Ridiculous !!! Could well be another Pompey.

[h=1]Leicester City: Billionaire owner 'will spend £180m' to make top five[/h]
Newly-promoted Leicester City's owner want a top-five finish in the Premier League within three years - and will spend the money needed to get there.
The Championship title winners have returned to the top flight after a decade-long absence.
Billionaire Thai chairman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha outlined the club's next steps to reporters in Bangkok.

He said: "It will take a huge amount of money, possibly 10bn Thai Baht (£180m), to get there. That doesn't put us off."
Srivaddhanaprabha added: "I am asking for three years, and we'll be there.
"We won't take the huge leap to challenge the league's top five clubs immediately.

"Do we have a chance to beat them? Yes, we have, but I think we need to establish our foothold in the league first and then we think about our next step.
Nigel Pearson's side collected 102 points on their way to landing the Championship title. And the manager share's his chairman's optimism.
"The important thing is we're going with a belief that we can achieve," he said after showing off the Championship trophy to fans in the Thai capital.
"It's important we continue to improve everything about ourselves. So, we can challenge for the top five. But, of course, one step at the time."
Leicester have qualified for Europe three times, most recently as the 2000 League Cup winners. They went out of the 2000-01 Uefa Cup in the first round, losing 4-2 on aggregate to Red Star Belgrade of Serbia.

Srivaddhanaprabha's consortium took over at Leicester in 2010.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Oh dear.

What price they get relegated next season?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying, oither than the amount. From the position they are in now, it will take more than £180m to get them into the top five in English football.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I look at that and think *alarm bells*.....I doubt many Leicester fans do though!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Leo's price has just jumped up some then

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's a tough one.

You could argue that it's his money and he he wants to spend it on getting LCFC into the top five who should stop him?

It may be his money and LCFC his business, but it's not his club. What happens if, after 3 years he gets bored and withdraws the funding; it leaves Leicester with an unsustainable wage bill and a plummet through the leagues (like Pompey).

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Football is slowly eating itself. Are Leicester going for their 3rd administration this millenemium?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying, oither than the amount. From the position they are in now, it will take more than £180m to get them into the top five in English football.

Seeing that the new Man U manager is going to be given between £120m to £200m (depending who you read) to take the club from 7th to 4th, it will take a lot, lot more than £180m to take Leicester up there

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Yes, but how much have the Man. City owners put into the club since they bought it?

They weren't exactly rushing up the table in the previous ex amount of years when they were owned by a mere mortal! Lol

I think if the rumours are correct, and Tony Bloom is thinking of selling, there aren't many UK people with the money to be able to buy a 250 million pound club* :shrug:

It's got to be an NFL team owner or bloody rich Middle-Eastern type that would be the buyer!

* - Random figure plucked from the sky ;-)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It may be his money and LCFC his business, but it's not his club. What happens if, after 3 years he gets bored and withdraws the funding; it leaves Leicester with an unsustainable wage bill and a plummet through the leagues (like Pompey).

And what if he turns out to be the equivalent of Abramovich at Chelsea or the owners of Man City and willing to pump that sort of money in and look after then long term?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

This. No problem with them aiming high and spending money they have, I have a problem with clubs spending money they don't have. It will take more money than that though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I think if the rumours are correct, and Tony Bloom is thinking of selling, there aren't many UK people with the money to be able to buy a 250 million pound club

I may have being living under a rock I guess but where on earth is this rumour from ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If he gives his money to the Club - that is one thing. But what if it is a loan ? Leicester saddled with massive debt for the sake of a person's ego.

Spot on - I see no problem at all if someone wants to plough their money into a club by way of equity purchase - it is debt that is the potential time bomb for clubs - that is why I'm glad to see that TB has been converting much of the cash he has loaned our club into shares.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I may have being living under a rock I guess but where on earth is this rumour from ?

In one of the threads on this here message board. I think I read it over the weekend. Have searched but can't find it.

I know just a rumour, but putting 2 and 2 together and making 5, now might be the time for our Tone to sell, as the Training Facility is almost ready, and some extra investment is needed to push this club onto the next level, and he feels maybe that's as far as his bank balance can stretch to fund the club any further at this present time. Could be similar to the current Reading scenario, major investor, funds running out, needs to recoup investment in the very near future? Who knows? I confess to knowing nothing about's what's going on behind the scenes, but I really do wish I did and then maybe I could make proper sense about the last two seasons with this football club.

It's still never boring being an Albion fan though, it it? :albion2:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
In one of the threads on this here message board. I think I read it over the weekend. Have searched but can't find it.

I know just a rumour, but putting 2 and 2 together and making 5, now might be the time for our Tone to sell, as the Training Facility is almost ready, and some extra investment is needed to push this club onto the next level, and he feels maybe that's as far as his bank balance can stretch to fund the club any further at this present time. Could be similar to the current Reading scenario, major investor, funds running out, needs to recoup investment in the very near future? Who knows? I confess to knowing nothing about's what's going on behind the scenes, but I really do wish I did and then maybe I could make proper sense about the last two seasons with this football club.

It's still never boring being an Albion fan though, it it? :albion2:

Time to update your signature.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Even if you intend on spending 100's of millions what benefit do you get from telling everyone?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here