Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Style or Promotion: You Decide

MACCAPACCA

Feb 18, 2009
Worthing
So, if it was a choice between the two which would you want? Play the boring way we have been playing and nick 1-0 wins potentially, or play exciting attacking footy and sit in mid table. The answer will probably decide who our preferred choice as new man is.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Exciting attacking football and perhaps pick up fewer points. EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK!!!!!!

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
That's like saying Curry, or Beer?

Give me both, or do one.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Championship will only get harder next year, especially if all three of the relegated clubs from last year fail to make it back to the Promised Land. The parachute payments make it difficult to compete in the transfer market, and I'm guessing that a few under-performing clubs of similar size to us will be wanting to flex their muscle this time too.

So I think the question is an important one, and watching attractive football is the most important thing for me. It's nice to think that the successful candidate will bring the points in as well, but I wonder if managers with both capabilities are already incumbent elsewhere.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
This is very much the problem. I can 100% GUARANTEE that the same absolute planks who're delighting in Oscar's departure will bitch and moan like menopausal fishwives if we scored even 3x more goals, but finished lower in the league. Some people are never satisfied.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Tricky. Promotion, consolidation and now style hasn't worked too badly for Stoke. I love the way we got promoted from League One but overall, if we're top of the league, I'd be pretty happy regardless.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
This is very much the problem. I can 100% GUARANTEE that the same absolute planks who're delighting in Oscar's departure will bitch and moan like menopausal fishwives if we scored even 3x more goals, but finished lower in the league. Some people are never satisfied.

This

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Entertainment first, then hopefully that will lead to promotion, but I do want to see more attacking football with both pace and width

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
What's the big deal about an endless succession of clean sheets? You are allowed to win 3:2 and actually entertain. Personally, I'd rather still be awake when the match finishes.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Style first. Promotion will come.

Also, and I accept this is just a minority view, a decent man in charge.

So someone like Zola or Powell, rather than, say, someone like Giggs or Ferguson (D).

Rangnick is the top pick for me though.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Style first. Promotion will come.

Also, and I accept this is just a minority view, a decent man in charge.

So someone like Zola or Powell, rather than, say, someone like Giggs or Ferguson (D).

Rangnick is the top pick for me though.

I agree, but not Zola as I would like a young hungry manager and I am not sure Zola would hang around, especially if everything wasn't going well

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Apparently plenty of West Ham fans would be happy to get rid of Sam Allardyce, even if it meant relegation, because they "don't want to play football like that."

I would go along with that.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
promotion then style

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'd advocate a blend of attacking and brutally violent football. Think Leeds of the 70's. We may or may not get promoted but it would be FANTASTIC viewing.

Picture to scene, Zaha mincing down the wing for Cardiff then BOSH.....Greer puts him into row M of the WSU.

Superb.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'd advocate a blend of attacking and brutally violent football. Think Leeds of the 70's. We may or may not get promoted but it would be FANTASTIC viewing.

Picture to scene, Zaha mincing down the wing for Cardiff then BOSH.....Greer puts him into row M of the WSU.

Superb.

first laugh of the day
a day I might say where there will few laughs :thumbsup:

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Style and promotion. Our target is promotion, our philosophy should be entertaining football.

But honestly if we walked the league winning 1-0 every game I couldn't give a toss.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I want it all - attacking football and a play off place, if not automatic promotion. :wave:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think the style of football has been determined.

The last two managers have both been advocates of a similar possession based style, with an emphasis on not conceding goals. It makes sense based on what has been discussed recently that the club want to have a consistent way of playing.

In theory a consistent style should make it easier to determine the type of players needed and also ensure continuity when a manager leaves.

When the players are available and the style works then it is exciting to watch. The first twenty minutes against Derby was just brilliant.

The challenge is having depth in the squad to ensure that players are available. This year that didn't happen, we couldn't rely on pace due to injuries (Buckley, CMS), inconsistency (Kaz, Solly) and when we needed guile we failed too (Orlandi - injured, Lopez-dramtic decline in form, Stephens-injured).

Also t if we do get promoted, to stand any chance of staying up we have to build on a solid defensive element. If Derby go up and stay playing the same way, they will concede tons of goals.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I don't give a shit if we get battered every game, play hoofball, kick lumps out of every team we play and are labelled as an embarrassment to professional football as long as we ****ing win.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here